13 months on Finasteride - WTF! Shave it off! Get a tan!

G

After 13 months on finasteride and 10 months on minoxidil I can categorically say my hair has receded half an inch and is diffusing further back at the temples. My right temple was always much worse than my left one but remarkably my left one has caught up and overtaken my right one in the last 2 months. It's reaching the point where nanogen and dermatch are not cutting the mustard in concealing my diffuse temples.

My hair is very thick in non-male pattern baldness areas which kind of makes the thinning areas show up more due to the contrast in density and texture.

I am probably goign to shave it off in the next few weeks, but I don't think it will look to good.

Another problem is my use of concealers and the fact that I am very good at cutting and styling my own hair, gives the illusion of a Norwood 1, but when I shave it off it will reveal a Norwood 2-2.5 hairline and everyone will think 'sh*t did he recede an inch overnight, or what?'. I guess that's just my fault for deciding to conceal my loss.

When I think about my regimen and how religious I have been with it, it makes me think that I have not responded at all to anything. Then again, I could bge Norwood 3-4 now if I had done nothing.

My Dad and Grandfather were both NW6 by 35. But they started balding well before I did. I only first noticed minor recession on one side about 14 months ago and I got straight on Finasteride within a month's research.

I'm no scientist but after a year of this f*****g sh*t I feel like an expert on the topic and shitloads more than any GP. It's surprising how much information you can absorb when you want to or need to. Wish I applied myself that much at university!

My conclusions are that these treatments work better for some than others but also that the main reason for male pattern baldness is genetics but other underlying reasons exacerbate the process, one of the main players acutally being your mental state. Stress, worry, dispair, OCD will defnitely make it worse. I have spent far too much of my time over the last year worrying, about my hair, playing with it, cutting it, styling it, checking it 30 or 40 times a day, touching it, reading about it, writing about it, the list goes on.

Like it or not it has taken over my life to some degree. I still do stuff, I still go out a lot, I still get some nice chicks but It has ruined many a night out for me in the past. Worrying my balding temples might be showing up because I sweated a bit dancing in a club, have some twat rub my hair in the middle of a bar and having it too laugh it off and wait a few minutes before nipping off to the bathroom to re style it, worrying that toppik may have rubbed onto my forehead.

Anyway, I'm unsure what to do, I will keep up my regimen as I do not know any different. Considering Xandrox 15 or maybe even dutasteride but dutasteride scares me somewhat. Not so much the sides but the fact that lots of people have reported it thinning the front out badly. That would be my worst nightmare.

Keep on trucking you bald bastards! :wink: :wink:

oni

Reaction score
Not so much the sides but the fact that lots of people have reported it thinning the front out badly. That would be my worst nightmare.

dutasteride did not thin out the front for me :) but for you it's a case of suck it and see.............

You are already on the minoxidil 5% so why not give the Xandrox 15 a go first, do you still have vellus hairs in the receded area? maybe you could give Tricomin or another Copper Peptide type product a try?