12 Month Finasteride Update - With Pics

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So today marks the 1 year anniversairy since i started taking finasteride 1mg daily. Thought I would share some pics of where I started:

69B32E00-F7D0-428A-A33A-E58AEEF79F4F.jpeg

And where I am now:

08361F5F-1934-466A-BB20-51AEFF2AC267.jpeg 7BD055B5-4281-4A8F-9F7C-CE5CF5A4447D.jpeg

Unfortunately it hasnt been the great success story I had hoped for! I actually think my hair has gotten a little worse if anything, when I lift the hair up and expose the area:

1B90B4FA-1B1E-4303-AAF3-F6389541BBB5.jpeg

I am still managing to get by with concealers:

F95AA7A7-AB47-4A66-8CD3-670E4BD67FB8.jpeg

But I am getting to the point where this is becoming tiresome, and am considering just shaving it all and getting SMP. I may ride it out a little longer though, original plan was to get to 30 with hair haha (which is August)

What do you think?

Thanks

ophair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Add minoxidil+dermaroller 1.5mm once a week and ketoconazole 2% for inflammation/cleaning sebum from your head and you should see better results overall in my opinion or start dutasteride if you think finasteride lost it's effectiveness.
You are maintaining most of your hair compared to starting pics, maybe lost some density but that's hard to say, different lightning i think

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Keep on using finasteride if you aren’t suffering sides. I wouldn’t use minoxidil bc it normally works for only 2-3 yrs then you’ll look worst off from what I heard. Nizoral or any keto 2% shampoo + derma rolling could help. I’d consider LLLT aswell if it isn’t too pricey for you. Good luck!

ophair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Keep on using finasteride if you aren’t suffering sides. I wouldn’t use minoxidil bc it normally works for only 2-3 yrs then you’ll look worst off from what I heard. Nizoral or any keto 2% shampoo + derma rolling could help. I’d consider LLLT aswell if it isn’t too pricey for you. Good luck!

Adding minoxidil would give him additional 2-3 years then, even with minoxidil loosing it's effectiveness with time it's still working, maybe less than when you're starting but it's still better than nothing, maybe in his situation it will work for one year and maybe for 5 years+ along with finasteride, we don't know that.Fighting with MBP is combination of all known medications which is meant to buy us as much time as possible. Every body is different and treatments works differently, i'm using minoxidil only effectively and yet i've had no side effects, when people gets heart palpitations, puffy face etc or it's not working at their hair at all, maybe i'm going to loose ground soon, it's all still unknown things for all of us.

lexluthor.12

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think your hair is worse, it's just different lightnings. You are maintaining what you have, which is what one should expect from finasteride. If you want some regrowth, you may consider minoxidil but i doubt you would since you think popping a pill every night is "tiresome"

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys, I did consider minoxidil but thought it could be difficult with the concealors/having to wait for it to dry before applying etc plus I didnt know that it only works for 2-3 years.

I’ve not really explored dermarolling - what does it actually do for the hair?

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think your hair is worse, it's just different lightnings. You are maintaining what you have, which is what one should expect from finasteride. If you want some regrowth, you may consider minoxidil but i doubt you would since you think popping a pill every night is "tiresome"
For the record, I find the daily routine of applying concealers and styling my hair tiresome. Not popping a pill

JHCL1990

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So today marks the 1 year anniversairy since i started taking finasteride 1mg daily. Thought I would share some pics of where I started:

View attachment 107490

And where I am now:

View attachment 107488 View attachment 107491

Unfortunately it hasnt been the great success story I had hoped for! I actually think my hair has gotten a little worse if anything, when I lift the hair up and expose the area:

View attachment 107487

I am still managing to get by with concealers:

View attachment 107489

But I am getting to the point where this is becoming tiresome, and am considering just shaving it all and getting SMP. I may ride it out a little longer though, original plan was to get to 30 with hair haha (which is August)

What do you think?

Thanks

Just your crown? Give minoxidil a try. Apply once a day at night, then you can still conceal in the morning. Add keto once a week (it's harsh). Still nothing--consider dutasteride.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
if you dont mind me asking, when did you first start losing hair?

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
if you dont mind me asking, when did you first start losing hair?
No problem. I am 29 now, I would say I first started noticing a thinning area in the middle/back of my head around 4 years ago. Gradually over time, this became more noticeable until I felt the need to start using concealors breifly around 2 years ago. Again the thinning had gotten worse over time and more concealor time (and product) was needed. Now more than ever!

I was quite against the idea of finasteride, thinking instead I would opt for the ‘go bald gracefully’ route, but when my hair started to shed quite quickly, I panicked and thought I would give it a try. Initially seeing how it would go for a week or two as I had read about the sides. After not experiencing any at all, I have stuck it out for 12 months. Although my hair may be a little worse (i think) - it seems I have maintained what I had a year ago, for the mostpart. However, it is hard to know of this is from finasteride as I could be in the same situation if Id never taken it, possibly

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
No problem. I am 29 now, I would say I first started noticing a thinning area in the middle/back of my head around 4 years ago. Gradually over time, this became more noticeable until I felt the need to start using concealors breifly around 2 years ago. Again the thinning had gotten worse over time and more concealor time (and product) was needed. Now more than ever!

I was quite against the idea of finasteride, thinking instead I would opt for the ‘go bald gracefully’ route, but when my hair started to shed quite quickly, I panicked and thought I would give it a try. Initially seeing how it would go for a week or two as I had read about the sides. After not experiencing any at all, I have stuck it out for 12 months. Although my hair may be a little worse (i think) - it seems I have maintained what I had a year ago, for the mostpart. However, it is hard to know of this is from finasteride as I could be in the same situation if Id never taken it, possibly

I would agree with others that you should try Minoxidil as an add on for 6 months, this may give you a good Bost along with sticking with Finasteride. Save the other things for later if this does not give you the boost you need. I too have more top thinning which can take a while to get back, perhaps due to the tightness/tension in that area (which is why massage and derma rolling can help).

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I may think about adding in minoxidil and derma rolling - would 1 application twice a week of ninoxidil make any difference? Or does it have to be daily?

Is it true that minoxidil can make your hair shed more before it regrows? That could be a worry!

Also, how often would I use a derma roller?

As you can see im pretty clueless other than finasteride!

Actually, would derma rolling/finasteride/nizoral make any difference? Or does minoxidil need to be in there? Just have a few concerns over minoxidil causing more loss!

Thanks

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
How is your body hair? Do you have high T levels?
Im pretty ok, hair where it should be, chest stomach, face, legs, arms etc. Not sure where my testosterone levels are at though - i couldnt grow a beard until about 27, so I kinda figured they werent that high

reyl

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im pretty ok, hair where it should be, chest stomach, face, legs, arms etc. Not sure where my testosterone levels are at though - i couldnt grow a beard until about 27, so I kinda figured they werent that high
From what I read testosterone isn't really responsible for beard growth, it's more so the conversion to DHT.

Attachments

• DHT-roles-in-body-hair.png
    DHT-roles-in-body-hair.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 188

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
From what I read testosterone isn't really responsible for beard growth, it's more so the conversion to DHT.

DHT and Testosterone probably have dual roles sometimes. For example, the men who have 5AR2 deficiency have normal testosterone levels but an underdeveloped penis due to the lack of DHT conversion.