11 Years On finasteride With Excellent Results, A Few Months Break And Trouble

memoryboy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m 35. I have been taking finasteride for 11,5 years. Noticed lots of hairs everywhere and shedding when I was 24. Jumped on 1mg propecia. And kept full head of hair all this time. Hairline stayed the same more or less than when I was 24. It had receded a bit by then but didn't really advance any more when I was on finasteride. I have a lot of hair – thick and high density, so it didn't show unless I buzzed it, which I have never really done. Didn't worry about side effects as I didn't really know to worry about them.

1,5 years ago, I started thinking I might have some of the side effects crept in slowly. I also looked at my brother who didn't take finasteride, is two years older than me and he hadn't really lost much hair. (Now I know his hairline has receded actually, I just didn't know. He also has a very thick and a lot of hair). So I wasn’t sure how much finasteride is doing for me and do I really need it.

So, anyway, I also got prostatitis and thought maybe it's because of high estrogen or whatnot. So I dropped taking finasteride largely for 3 months. It was also the time finasteride was not available in my country for a few months due to shortage. I also wanted to take a break. I had made some up to 1 month breaks before with no consequences in hairloss, so I was thinking nothing too bad can happen in that area. I didn't fully quit, I still took 1 or two pills here and there in some weeks or months during that 3 month period. For background info: I had switched to 0,5mg a day a few months prior. That was all generic finasteride now, I had switched a few years back when this came available.

Anyway, after about 3 months without proper regular finasteride in my system, I suddenly started shedding like crazy. Hairline also lost some ground. I freaked and jumped back on finasteride and in 2 months the shedding stopped almost overnight. Tried min too but didn’t have the proper discipline. Then for a year I didn't have any shedding (I kept taking finasteride), but noticed some loss in the hairline and then tried min a few times again. Now 3 months ago I very suddenly started shedding again even though I was on finasteride. I made sure I've been taking finasteride properly and as I saw I've lost ground in the hairline I added minoxidil, now properly. I have tried min a few times before but didn't have the discipline to take it properly. Now I've been applying it religiously for 2 months twice a day for hairline and shedding continues and gets worse. Is this Min shedding?
But I only apply min to hairline but I shed all over head. Is this the infamous catch-up hairloss?

Has anyone else also had some shedding suite soon after quitting finasteride and then more a year later? But I jumped back on finasteride... Weird.

I have seborrhoeic dermatitis and itchy scalp and it's also in my ears and eyebrows, so there's autoimmune stuff going on.. That has been going on all my life since teenager. I manage it with ketoconazole shampoos like Nizoral.

baldco

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am kinda in same boat as you. I have used Finasteride for almost 10 years and was quite happy with it, lost little ground but cosmetically looked fairly the same. Last year in July, I decided to quit Finasteride in order to try to lose weight (I put on some good weight since while on finasteride). Well, long story short, It seems like finasteride was not really responsible for my weight gain but just 2 months after quitting, my shedding started. I jumped back on finasteride almost immediately, but now almost 7 months on it, I have severely diffused with no end in sight. Scalp gets oily almost one day after shower. It might seem like upregulated AR expression might be a real thing and I have screwed up a real good thing going for me. All this time I was minoxidil and never took a break from it. So this has to be related to Finasteride rather than minoxidil.

memoryboy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your situation baldco.

Did you quit cold turkey? What dose were you on?
You didn't take any finasteride for 2 months?

Where do you apply minoxidil to? Certain spots or everywhere in the head?
Are you receding, diffuse or balding at crown?

Do you use anything else? Nizoral or something?

I'm thinking maybe changing my diet and scalp massages could help?

What was strange for me (but maybe it's not strange?), is that I got bad shedding around 3 months after quitting (or taking a break). The shedding lasted for 2,5 months and then stopped almost overnight. And while I resumed taking finasteride I didn't shed for 10 months and then suddenly I am now shedding again, hard. Have been shedding now again for 2,5 months right now and don't see the end of shedding. I'm kinda hoping this one would stop almost overnight too, but maybe it's a fairytale wish.

I have been only receding but currently shedding everywhere, so if this continues I will look bald soon. I already feel hair is slightly thinner on top. Although nothing too much is visible yet. But I have receded more and loosing hair and ground every day.

Last edited:

memoryboy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One thing I've been thinking. A few years back I switched to generic finasteride. Maybe it would be worth to switch back to Propecia.
It's not available in pharmacies of my country though.

Anyone knows a good reliable place to get it in Europe?

I'll try to post pics tomorrow, Michel Sapin.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I've been using it for 10 years. Don't want to jinx it so I rarely think about it any more, just hope it will maintain it's effectiveness

OP what did you do about your prostatitis? Did they give you anything for it? A few years ago I had sharp ejaculation pains but I didn't want to stop the finasteride so I took something called rye grass pollen extract which seemed to clear it up.

I haven't heard of finasteride causing weight gain

shouldn't be any diffrence between generic and Propecia provided you get the generic from a legitimate source - a high street pharmacy