11 Years On finasteride, Added Min, Shedding Like Crazy For 7 Weeks

memoryboy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
BACKGROUND:

I’m 35. I have been taking finasteride for 11,5 years. Noticed lots of hairs everywhere and shedding when I was 24. Jumped on 1mg Propecia. Kept full head of hair all this time. Hairline stayed the same more or less than when I was 24. It had receded a bit by then but didn't really advance any more when I was on finasteride. I have a lot of hair, so it didn't show unless I buzzed it, which I never do. Didn't worry about side effects as I didn't really know to worry about them.

1,5 years ago, I started thinking I might have some of the side effects crept in slowly. I also looked at my brother who didn't take finasteride, is two years older than me and he hadn't really lost much hair. (Now I know his hairline has receded actually, I just didn't know. He also has a very thick and a lot of hair). So I wasn’t sure how much finasteride is doing for me and do I really need it.

So, anyway, I also got prostatitis and thought maybe it's because of high estrogen or whatnot. So I dropped taking finasteride largely for 3 months. Wanted to make a break. I had made some up to 1 month breaks before with no consequences in hairloss, so I was thinking nothing too bad can happen. I didn't fully quit, I still took 1 or two pills here and there in some weeks or months during that 3 month period. For background info: I had switched to 0,5mg a day a few months prior. That was all generic finasteride now, I had switched a few years back when this came available.

Anyway, after about 3 months without proper regular finasteride in my system, I suddenly started shedding like crazy. Hairline also lost some ground. I freaked and jumped back on finasteride and in 2 months the shedding stopped almost overnight. Tried min too but didn’t have the proper discipline. Then for a year I didn't have any shedding (I kept taking finasteride), but noticed some loss in the hairline and then tried min a few times again. Now 3 months ago I started shedding again. Less in the beginning. I made sure I've been taking finasteride properly and as I saw I've lost ground in the hairline I added minoxidil, now properly. I have tried min a few times before but didn't have the discipline to take it properly. Now I've been applying it religiously for 7 weeks twice a day for hailrine and shedding continues and gets worse. Is this Min shedding?

Which is weird, I can also pull put hair in the back/down of my hair, where there should be no hairloss.

I have seborrhoeic dermatitis and itchy scalp and it's also in my ears and eyebrows, so there's autoimmune stuff going on.. That has been going on all my life since teenager. I manage it with ketoconazole shampoos like Nizoral.

There definitely must be also connection with my diet and gut.

BTW. What any of you guys think of https://www.hairIossrevolution.com/ and https://perfecthairhealth.com/ natural methods?

memoryboy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply bro! Shedding is going almost almost for 8 weeks now since I started with min regularly. Just wondering should I keep going with min or quit. Maybe it's too harsh for my skin...

Thinking maybe this might be the catch-up shed I get for stopping finasteride for a few months a year ago?
I shed a year ago too for two months but then it stopped suddenly and now started again.
I think I've seen someone telling that it has happened like this for them.

I guess what I'm getting from this is, don't stop finasteride when you've had long time success. If you think something is off, eliminate all the other possible factors first.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply bro! Shedding is going almost almost for 8 weeks now. Just wondering should I keep going with min or quit.

Thkining maybe this is the catch-up shed I get for stopping finasteride for a few months a year ago?
I shed a year ago too but then it stopped and now started again.

Well, if you've read the instructions it is told that minoxidil causes an initial shed which lasts for a while. Personally, it lasted for about a few weeks for me. I'm not sure wether you should stick to it or not, maybe just wait for more experienced members to comment.

Out of curiosity, Do you mind posting pics? :)

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply bro! Shedding is going almost almost for 8 weeks now since I started with min regularly. Just wondering should I keep going with min or quit. Maybe it's too harsh for my skin...

Thinking maybe this might be the catch-up shed I get for stopping finasteride for a few months a year ago?
I shed a year ago too for two months but then it stopped suddenly and now started again.

I guess what I'm getting from this is, don't stop finasteride when you've had long time success. If you think something is off, eliminate all the other possible factors first.

If you are getting irritation use the Rogaine Foam instead.