11 month update, big 3. Some success, though second shed, it's all good here's why

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
Yo guys,

It's been a while since I've posted here. I gave up caring about my hairloss because it started looking so good.

I've been on finasteride for 10 months, nizoral 7 months, and rogaine about 5-6 months.

What's happened since then?

I did have a small shed after I started rogaine in March. It wasn't too bad and my hair after 4 months time started looking awesome. I could definitely see some vellus hairs start to emerge in the temple areas and they turned terminal by month 4-5. Also, my hair became thicker all over probably because of the finasteride.

Certain things I've noticed. The rogaine is working in a continuing pattern from my temples towards the front hairline. I haven't seen too many (if any for that matter) pop out in my frontal hairline but it's creeping up there with hairs in the back starting to turn terminal and thinner towards the front.

In 5 1/2 months however, maybe 5 i had sex with a chick and she pulled out some of my hair. This blew because I had a dope hair cut and everything was starting to look ****ing awesome. Since then I've had a pretty bad shed that's slightly observable. I believe it's still continuing. It might be because I stopped nizoral for a month or two. Who knows. But they're ALL thick hairs for the most part which sucks. Hopefully since I've noticed the back to forward pattern it's just the frontal hair falling out for new ones. It looks decent but definitely not how it was a month ago. I can't style my hair like I did a month ago.

I have not changed my regimen and apply the rogaine on my temples, frontal hairline, and up my vertex (my crown is fine, I don't put it there). I honestly wish I never started doing it on my vertex. I'm sure by this time because of how many months I've been on finasteride it would have been thicker than it is now but I have to continue applying or I will shed my vertex.

Sucks but I'm definitely going to continue. I think most people have a second shed, maybe not as bad as this one. The reason why I'm sticking with it is because I see a couple vellus hairs still popping out further down my hairline where i'm a 100% sure I did not have these before.

Also, one more thing I think is huge. The new hairs from the rogaine that have turned terminal are almost thicker then the hairs behind them. I think this is because they possibly haven't shed yet so they're catching up with the new follicles. Hopefully I finish this shed in a couple of weeks and it comes back by two months. I'm sure it's cool.

I have not changed my regimen

1.25fin, 2x daily rogaine, nizoral 2-3 times a week.

Just an update...

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
I mean this second shed is bad. My hair is looking odd from it. The temples are kind of coming in however thinning pretty bad behind the new temple growth. Also, I've had almost no vellus hair pop up on my hairline, It's only getting worse. I don't know really how long I've been going through this shed. The hairline is a mess ahh. I've noticed a difference in only about a months time to it as well. Has anybody else had a second shed this bad?

I'm still sure I'm fine and by no means am I stopping.

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't get it online. I got a prescription originally from my dermatologist for propecia. I switched several months for proscar and saved **** tons of money.

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
Just an update even though it's only been a week. I've lost a ton of ground. My hair is not looking good. I have not taken pictures this whole 11 months so I'm not sure if it's worse than baseline. However, it's an extremely noticeable change in just one months time. I haven't been noticing too many hairs come out anymore but the ones that do are thick which is very annoying. I'm obviously going to stick with my regimen. I'm also hopeful that it's just a second shed. The front hairline is what took the biggest hit during this second shed. I mean it's looking very thin and I can't even style it like I did a month ago. I have so many single hairs at the front of it that it's very odd looking as well.

The only positive I have so far is that well a.)it restored my hair for a month, a good month at that. I was looking awesome. b.)the temples are still filling in. The vellus hairs that have turned terminal are thicker than the hairs behind it so hopefully those thinner hairs are falling out for new ones... Not sure.

Hopefully I'll be fine in a months time but only time will tell. I'll keep y'all posted.

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me after my last shedding phase. @shocktop311

Did you get through it? I just don't see regrowth occurring where I lost the majority of my hair (the hairline). I hope it comes back, that would suck heavily if it did not. How long did your second shedding phase last?

Stefan_88

Reaction score
Did you get through it? I just don't see regrowth occurring where I lost the majority of my hair (the hairline). I hope it comes back, that would suck heavily if it did not. How long did your second shedding phase last?

1 month or less.

Hairs came back in less than 2.5 months during my second shedding period.

Sorry for late response, i didnt see your post before...

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
Gojira- Yes, I'm on 1.25 mg of finasteride. I made the switch about 3-4 months ago. Could this have caused some of my shedding? I've lost a lot of grounds and it's still going on. I think it may possibly be slowing down but I'm definitely shedding thick hairs still. I don't see any regrowth where the loss has occurred so I'm kind of tripping out. This shed has been going on for about 2-3 months now. I haven't heard too many people post a shed lasting more than 3 months. We'll see how this turns out. I'm not changing anything in regimen.

I feel ya kirby. What are you on again?

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea. This minoxidil thing is a rollercoaster haha. I have been terrible about tracking my hairloss. I hardly remember the months I started both treatments. However, I'm checking my hair two years ago (which was right before I started finasteride) and I have actually come a VERY long way. I thought I was still at baseline, little did I know until a couple of minutes ago. I for sure look like I'm thinning still but it's decent. I can actually cover it up now. I have no doubt that I'd be in terrible shape had I not started finasteride. This shed blows because I've lost ground compared to two months ago but compared to over a year ago I'm happy as can be haha.

Let's ****ing own this shed. I hope this finasteride stuff continues to get me good results starting my second year. I heard the second year is when the true magic begins