10 years stable on finasteride alone

Finjunkie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Checking in again. I've honestly lost track how long I was on Finasteride, it's been 9-11 years.

I started taking it in mid 20's when it was clear I had our family's wonderful hairloss genes.

Was NW2 when I started, still am today. Recession has traveled a centimeter north on my temples, pretty good for a decade!

No side effects. Never had any. My body hair thinned out slightly, but might just be age. I'm well into my 30's now.

Like many on finasteride, I stabilized but never got anything back.

The only other treatment I used was Rogaine, and just the first couple years. I stopped when it was clear finasteride was doing the heavy lifting.

Finasteride works people. I have no question I would be completely bald for the last 7 years without it. My brother is 3 years older and started receding at the same age. He barely even shaves because there's so little left :-/ .

No pics this time because there's nothing to see. You can go look at mine from years ago if you want, my hair looks the same. I started a new thread because title of old one was garbage, here's a link to it
Previous thread

My advice after all these years is stop obsessing over hairloss. finasteride and dutasteride are the only things with a high chance of durable hairloss prevention and if you're not going to take them or they don't work for you, I would just shave. And even if they do work its going to take years till you're absolutely sure.
It took three years before I was sure my loss stopped! I spent years worrying and frantically posting on the forums for nothing. I could have just kept taking my morning pill and went on with life. Everyone counting hairs in the shower is wasting their life with worry. So IMO, most of you are best off just hopping on finasteride/dutasteride then ignoring your hair for 2-3 years.
Shaving is not as bad as its made out to be either. At my age bald heads are so common nobody bats an eye, and many women have stopped caring anyways. And if you don't want to shave just get a hairpiece. They're so good now that nobody will know. Turns out my Dad has had one since the 80's and I didn't know till a few years ago.
Oh, and also go outside more.

Cheers, happy to answer any questions for the next couple days till I go back into the sunset

Last edited:

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Pictures?

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nevermind, have seen it in another thread. Nice to see you maintained =)

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to write here! Most users who have success with their treatments don't write about it here, leaving the impression to a lot of newcomers that most treatments aren't sustainable or effective midterm.

Finjunkie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to write here! Most users who have success with their treatments don't write about it here, leaving the impression to a lot of newcomers that most treatments aren't sustainable or effective midterm.
NP, it's the only reason I come back. I think majority of guys concerned about their hairloss either hop on finasteride or shave and forget about it. Either one is likely to be a permanent solution.

The forums are brimming with people that don't want to take finasteride or shave, and the ~10% that finasteride doesn't work for. It really gives people the impression finasteride doesn't work. For me and many others its practically a cure

King Norwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
NP, it's the only reason I come back. I think majority of guys concerned about their hairloss either hop on finasteride or shave and forget about it. Either one is likely to be a permanent solution.

The forums are brimming with people that don't want to take finasteride or shave, and the ~10% that finasteride doesn't work for. It really gives people the impression finasteride doesn't work. For me and many others its practically a cure
How much hair on average do u lose a day?
If u don't know could u go through it with your hands for a minute after u shower and post a number.
That would be super helpful for some like me who cant tell if my shedding is normal on finasteride though its not a crazy shed

Finjunkie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How much hair on average do u lose a day?
If u don't know could u go through it with your hands for a minute after u shower and post a number.
That would be super helpful for some like me who cant tell if my shedding is normal on finasteride though its not a crazy shed
A lot. You won't be able to tell. Hair shedding varies randomly. Don't worry about hair shedding just look at your hairline in a couple years. There's no point worrying about short term stuff like shedding on a medicine that takes years to have noticable effect

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you mean it took you years to tell that you were maintaining? I've been on finasteride for 6 months, lucky not to get sides but I'm definately below baseline.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for two and a half years, I've been very happy. Like you my loss stabilized, no regrowth. My hair is basically the same as it was when I started.

Finjunkie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you mean it took you years to tell that you were maintaining? I've been on finasteride for 6 months, lucky not to get sides but I'm definately below baseline.
It took a couple years before I was sure. I kept comparing my hairline. Six months of "Did it move a little this month?" Turned into "ok my loss has slowed down, but is it stopped?" .

It wasn't till a few years in I was 100% sure. Lot of time spent worrying about what turned out to be nothing.