10 years of hell! help!!

dechairloss

Reaction score
I've spent most of my day and evening reading all of your posts and I just want to Thank all of you for making me realize I'm not dealing with this completely alone. I've had hair loss for 10 years. It started when I went on and off the pill. I've seen so many drs I can't even count. I think I've done every possible test there is. A good day for me is losing 100 or less. Yes, I'm so obsessed with this I count every single hair and log it in my hair loss book :freaked: Thank you God for blessing me with thick hair, or I would be bald 10x over.

Here's my ?s if anyone can help. I'm currently taking a thyroid med. to see if Wilson's disease is the culprit of my hair loss. Any thoughts on if that could increase the shedding? Thyroid tests normal, but hypothyroid symptoms I am exibiting.

I've tried almost all derm prescrip. and shampoos for seb derm (including nizoral) and they all have made the itching and shedding worse. So I'm scared to try any new topical solutions. Anyone with thoughts on this?

Sorry this is so long and THANK YOU LADIES!!

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Were you using Nizoral 2% (scrip) or Nizoral 1% (OTC)?? The weaker form seems to work for most folks and is not as harsh. I cannot use 2% at all!!!! I have found my scalp is quite picky now: no strong harsh stuff, no products with alcohol.

You've read the forums here...how about the rest of the site. There's a lot of good research here to help you figure how how to proceed. I'd read all this stuff, too!! :)
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/
For example, here's the link for the kinds of blood work you should ask for: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/research/women/step2wom.htm

The more you learn the better!! You will probably have to help your doctor out on your hair loss. Most doctors are ill-equipped to handle hair loss!! roll:

Good luck. :)

dechairloss

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Mariejoe! I'm going to my gyne on Fri for hormone tests. Not to be a pess. but I'm sure the tests will all come back normal - gee, that will make me feel just peachy!! 8O

dechairloss

Reaction score
Sorry Mariejoe, forgot to answer your ? I honestly cannot remember, probably both forms of Nizoral I've tried so many different otc and pres. products. Do you know if Elidel or Lidex are relatively new?

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Your not being a pest. Maybe someday it'll be your turn to help a newbie.

Elidel is new and is for dermatitis anywhere on the body.
Lidex is made for seb derm.. It works VERY WELL. It has a generic. You can put it one before bed and it works overnight. I prefer the cream, it's easier for me to work into my scalp.
Get refills on your scrip!! Seb derm tends to come back from time to time, and you need to nip it in the bud. Untreated seb derm tends to worsen hair loss, it starves the scalp. Use it at the first sign of scalp irritation.
Once you get the seb derm under control, you should be able to use the NON-prescription Nizoral, as it is milder. Some folks alternate it with another dandruff shampoo, such as Head and Shouldrs.

Other things you may want your doctor to check is your estrogen and progesterone. If their ratio is out of whack, it could be a factor in hair loss. Starting the Pill is another, as well as stopping the BCP. Obviously, not a problem for everyone, though.
You don't mention your age, but if you are in your 30's-40's you could be peri-menopausal, and your hormones are giving you hell. There's lots of other reasons for hair loss, that you may not even think of.

A lot of women here get back "normal" tests results, but at least we know what it isn't.

If your gyn doesn't help, maybe a good derm? Get a copy of your blood work!!!

Please, stop counting your lost hairs...you'll make yourself crazy :hairy: , and too much stress is bad for your hair. :)

Please keep in touch, and let us know what the results show. I'm sure some of us will have 2-cents to throw your way.

Good luck to you. :)