10 Month update. Hello minoxidil shed!

fukitall

Reaction score
Hey all, just a short update from me...

To tell you the truth, i have lost track of how long i have been on my regime... but here goes.

I am norwood 2 with the starting of diffuse thinning at the frontal area. Im 22 years old.

I have been on 1/4 Proscar daily, and Nizoral every 2nd or 3rd day for about 9 to 10 months now. I went through no real shedding in this time, in fact it stopped about 70% - 80% of my hair falling out.

about 3 weeks ago i decided to start minoxidil 5% twice daily mainly because

1. My hair was still falling out to a degree i was not quite happy with
2. Proscar was not doing enough so far to help the diffuse thinning, it was trying to maintain, but male pattern baldness was still kicking its *** around the block a bit.

So like i said, i have been on minoxidil for about 3 weeks now, and the last 9 days or so have been hell.

I had no idea a shed could get that intense, i thought most of you where just paranoid or overexagerating the situation, boy was i wrong.

I have been losing STACKS of hair from th frontal region, i don't even have to pull on it, i just rub my hand through my hair anda good 20 to 35 hairs fall out from the root. That happens about 15 times a day, so as you can see, it adds up to be ALOT.

I know its hard to judge, but how many weeks (months?!?) will list last on average? im starting to get scared.

Well, im not going to wuss out, im gunna keep at it... i just keep telling myself "Wicked! i am finaling having a shed, maybe now i will see some better progress!"

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
fukitall said:
Hey all, just a short update from me...

To tell you the truth, i have lost track of how long i have been on my regime... but here goes.

I am norwood 2 with the starting of diffuse thinning at the frontal area. Im 22 years old.

I have been on 1/4 Proscar daily, and Nizoral every 2nd or 3rd day for about 9 to 10 months now. I went through no real shedding in this time, in fact it stopped about 70% - 80% of my hair falling out.

about 3 weeks ago i decided to start minoxidil 5% twice daily mainly because

1. My hair was still falling out to a degree i was not quite happy with
2. Proscar was not doing enough so far to help the diffuse thinning, it was trying to maintain, but male pattern baldness was still kicking its *** around the block a bit.

So like i said, i have been on minoxidil for about 3 weeks now, and the last 9 days or so have been hell.

I had no idea a shed could get that intense, i thought most of you where just paranoid or overexagerating the situation, boy was i wrong.

I have been losing STACKS of hair from th frontal region, i don't even have to pull on it, i just rub my hand through my hair anda good 20 to 35 hairs fall out from the root. That happens about 15 times a day, so as you can see, it adds up to be ALOT.

I know its hard to judge, but how many weeks (months?!?) will list last on average? im starting to get scared.

Well, im not going to wuss out, im gunna keep at it... i just keep telling myself "Wicked! i am finaling having a shed, maybe now i will see some better progress!"

get ready for a new n healthier hairs that will be growing on your head in like 5-6 months. A shed can last anywhere between 2 - 6 weeks. :roll:

hang in there with the minoxidil. It will deliver the goodies soon.

fukitall

Reaction score
Cool. Man i hope your right, i will dance naked in the street the day i realise it happens.

mre

Reaction score
Hang in there. Try to take a positive attitude. It sounds like you are responding well, but even if it doesn't work, you are no worse off than you would have been if you didn't take minoxidil.

I'm going through a similar (less drastic) shed and that's the attitude I take. I hate to see the extra hair in my hands, brush, sink etc. and I hope the minoxidil is working, but in the end, I started taking minoxidil because I was going bald, so if I continue to lose hair while taking it and it doesn't do anything then I'm no worse off. If nothing else, I can take some comfort in that it might be the minoxidil that is doing it's thing.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

I had an awful shed at about the 1.5 months mark on minoxidil. I am talking clumps of hair in the shower. It slowed after about 10 days and went back to normal after about three weeks.

MiddleAgedManiac

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil non-responder

You may be a non-responder like I was (10 months with no regrowth). In which case you will shed like crazy and be left with less hair and have no regrowth. Remember, it doesn't work for everybody.

circusrat

Reaction score
Temples are the hardest to regrow. Even the mighty minoxidil falters against my temples, which continue to recede.

Not only that but minoxidil is psychological warfare, that greasy sh*t (well I use kirkland) clumps your hair and makes it look much worse than the situation really is. I always feel better after I wash it out and realize its not as bad as it looks...