10 month itchy scalp + big hairloss

Kenny24

Reaction score
Sorry this is long...

First of all here is a pic of my head (with wet hair)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/10024e.jpg/

I'm 29 years old now but when I was 15, I had itchy scalp and lots of dandruff and similar to what I'm going through now, I lost a lot of hair, but it ended up going away on its own and my hair came back. My memory is a bit blurry, I can't really compare the itching and hair loss to what I'm going through now. I also didn't have great hygiene back then as I didn't wash my hair as much as I should back then.

So around September 2010 I started to get itchy on the top of my scalp. It was really soon after that when I noticed my hair was thinning. Given that my hair loss coincided with the itch and also going by my experiences as a teenager I don't think this is typical male pattern baldness. But I am only shedding on the top of my head, not on the sides or back.

My hair is not falling out faster than a person with a full head of hair, it's just that since this itch appeared, it stopped growing back after it falls out and so all the baldness you see in the above pic has happened since September last year when I had no baldness at all.

With dry hair you can't really notice the baldness unless you look really close. However, I'm almost at the point when it will become noticable and I don't know if there is any end in sight. :(

I went to a doctor in January 2011 and they gave me a shampoo (Ketoconazole) and I went through the full bottle. I noticed during the first four days the itching mostly calmed down and my scalp almost felt normal, but for some reason it just came back and the shampoo didn't seem to have any effect after that.

I then went to the more expensive prescription they offered me which was Verdeso foam. I think I probably went through it quicker than I should have but while using it, there was a calming effect but nothing longterm and it didn't help much.

In May 2011 I decided to go to a dermatologist. When she examined me she said she couldn't see anything wrong. No dandruff or marks on my head, some pinkness but it could be my skin. She flat out dismissed my hairloss. She gave me triamcinolone which again, seemed to be working for the first 4 days but after that it had little to no effect.

I went back a month later and again she seemed really dismissive of my itchiness and hairloss. She probably thinks I'm being melodramatic or making it up. It's true that my scalp does look pretty normal. However, I often notice parts of the scalp get red when a particular area is very itchy. I'll sometimes see red bumps right where I'm getting itch. This doesn't happen all the time when an area is itchy though. Sometimes an area is really itchy but looks normal.

I tried getting rid of the anti-itch/dandruff shampoo (head and shoulders) and tried using my wifes shampoo for a while. It wasn't long before I got bad dandruff and the itching actually got worse. So I guess the stuff I am using is helping to minimize the problem, but that's just not good enough.

I wouldn't say I physically scratch my head a LOT because I know that it will make it worse. But when I can't resist I gently do it without using the finger nail. Even when it's not so bad that I have to scratch it, I mostly just have this slight itch over most of the scalp. It's rarely a pin point itch but a burning sensation over a large area.

If the itching can stop I am confident my hair will come back. I hope someone here has gone through something similar because I can't afford to keep going to doctors and dermatologists who give me things which don't help and don't really appear to understand my situation. When I try googling "itchy scalp hair loss" I don't really hear a lot that relates to my situation.

dboy

Reaction score
hey man,

I had similar itch to what you got....I also developed red acne like scabs.. i think this was due to me using rogaine and or nizoral...Not sure...but i notice my hair was falling dramatically with the itch....the dr. prescribe me antibiotics, AND THE foam, and some shampoo.....He said i had folliculitis....after a week or 2..it finally went away.....Hope yours get better....I have a friend of mine who has chronic itch on his scalp..and they diagnose him with migraines which cna cuased scalp itch....

Kenny24

Reaction score
Folliculitis sounds really close to what I have. Only difference is I don't get scarring or crusted pimples although I do get red bumps which disappear quickly. I'd be interested in talking to a doctor about it and trying antibiotics.

Something else I forgot to mention... I think this all started just a few months after I started using headphones with the strap going over the head. Don't know if that's what caused the problem, but it certainly made things more itchy while using them so I stopped using them but the itch didn't go away.

Nater27

Reaction score
Hey Kenny,

Just to start off I don't have a answer for you. I have the same thing going on where my scalp has been burning and itching for the past 7+ years. I have gone to see a lot of doctors with really no luck. Just about everything you have described is almost identical to my issue. However, I don't have too much dandruff. No dr. has ran any tests on my scalp... they have just given me creams and shampoos and told me hairless is normal. Not one dr. was able to tell me why my scalp burns though and that is what is killing me. I gave up for awhile but it is truly a annoying way to live so I'm jumping back in. I have a few appointments and some blood test coming up... if I find something I will let you know.

Anyone has any ideas? let me know!

Thank you

Reaction score
i almost feel your telling my story. I had alot of redness and dandruff to the point i couldn't stop scratching. This is when i noticed my hair looked thinner so i went to the doctor and he prescibed me propecia. The first couple of months it seemed to be doing better but still alot of dandruff. One thing i noticed yea the pill helped but when I got rid alot of the things that caused me stress the dandruff and redness really calm down. I guess what im saying is that if you have alot of stress maybe from losing your hair try to relax and see if that does anything.

Kenny24

Reaction score
Got an appointment with the dermatologist next week. So I'll ask about antibiotics.

I was looking closely at my scalp in the mirror and I noticed a lot of small red rashes and some red bumps. It was like faint red polka dots over most of the scalp so I'm hoping she'll see them and maybe then she'll realize I'm not making this up.

debos

Reaction score
I seem to be in a very similar situation as you. I'm 26 and about 7-8 months ago I started developing an extremely itchy scalp which was accompanied by puss filled postules. They started in the back of the neck and eventually migrated to the top. In the last 4-5 months I've noticed that my hair on the top and back of my head seem much thinner. There hasn't been a moment where Ive noticed excess hair loss (shower or pillow) but it seems that new hair isn't really growing anymore. Also there is no particular pattern to the thinning as my hair line and crown seem intact. I'm now finally doing something about it (oral antibiotics). I also have a date with a dermatologist but not until October so I'm very curious to see what they tell you. Please keep this thread updated if you can.

Thanks,

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I think your current hair loss is unrelated to what you had at 15. It sounds like what you had at 15 was some sort of fungal infection or something and the hair came back.

A lot of us get an "itch" where we lose hair, and your hair is very diffuse loss. The only thing that has really stopped the itch for much of us is consistent use of an anti-androgen like Finasteride or Dutasteride. After a few weeks on finasteride, my itch went almost completely away, and after a couple of months it disappeared entirely. It was so bad I could barely stand it, and a lot of people here suffered through the same thing.

I think that if you were to try minoxidil and finasteride you would see all of your hair come back.

Kenny24

Reaction score
She gave me an antibiotic before I had a chance to ask for it. Clindamycin to be used with Ketoconazole.

I'll see how it goes...