10 Month Finasteride + Minoxidil Hair Loss Treatment Progress Story | Page 2 | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

10 Month Finasteride + Minoxidil Hair Loss Treatment Progress Story

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Diego96, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Diego96

Diego96 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've read that finasteride is most effective after 2 years of use, and for minoxidil; visible results start coming in at the 8 months stage. At the end of the day, what worked for me might not work for you as everyone's body responds differently to medication/drugs. Yeah I reckon you should just give it some more time and if you still don't see any improvement at all (no matter how minuscule) then maybe it's time to give the finasteride and min a rest and look into other options.
    Good luck man!

2. michel sapin

michel sapin Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    thx for the answer man , now i'm 5 month in and my hairline is still worse despite the fact that i dont lose hair while showering . i'm really sad because minoxidil made me shed some thick hair at the hairline , and now ive got the feeling that they are not regrowing . I had the exact same hairline as you when i begun , so i'm totaly lost .

i hope that the hair i shed will regrow , minoxidil can worsen hairloss right ?

How long did it take for you to see regrowth ? Did you also have some unwanted hair on the body or arm because of minoxidil?

Sorry to bother you so much man but i'm just 23 and hairloss is ruining my life.

3. Diego96

Diego96 Member

Dislikes Received:
    From my experience, after about 2-3 months of using Min, I saw tiny vellus hairs growing where I had applied it. Look man, if I had been using finasteride for 2 years (as you have) and have also been using Min for 5-6 months then maybe it's time to throw in the towel. I really hope that you have seen some positive changes in regards to your hairline within the last month. If not, then I reckon you should go visit your GP/ derm and ask them whether it's worth it continuing.

The first month or so of min I lost some more hair. So if you experience minor hair shedding then that's no cause for alarm.

And I think that the hair on my hands has gotten slightly thicker/longer but I'm not very hairy so that's fine. I also got some short vellus hairs growing on my forehead, which are noticeable when you look closely; but I don't mind them.

Btw, I used Kirkland's 5% minoxidil - if that helps. I know how f*****g hard it is when you realise that you're losing hair. I'm only 19 and it made my anxiety worse. But dw man, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

4. michel sapin

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    thanks for the answer man, now i'm 6 month into minoxidil and still below baseline, but i stick with it ,because i don't lose hair anymore , but i'm really sad , i hope i will recover . starting minoxidil to thicken my hairline was a mistake.

5. Sonicblu650

Sonicblu650 Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    im rooting for ya michel! You know me im kinda in the same boat w/ minoxidil

6. Diego96

Diego96 Member

Dislikes Received:
    That's one step in the right direction! I'd like to think it goes from hair loss --> hair maintenance --> hair regrowth.

7. Diego96

Diego96 Member

Dislikes Received:
    14 Month Update: My hairline seems to have stabilised and there hasn't been any more significant growth. But this morning I woke up and the right corner of my hairline seemed thinner; and I've also been noticing some small thin hairs falling in the shower, so I think I may be having a 1 year minoxidil shed. It really sucks cos I feel like I came a long way just to get pushed back a little bit, but hopefully this is completely normal and means that I'm going to have even more regrowth very soon.

Update picture for my right side attached. I circled the area where I feel like there has been some recent thinning.

Attached Files:

8. Johnmpb

Johnmpb Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    What's the white stuff on your scalp? minoxidil? How do you hide that when you go out?

9. Diego96

Diego96 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah those are minoxidil flakes. I don't usually have that much of it.I just think it's because I'm going through a shed that there are more flakes.
    I usually shower/ wash my hair before I go out so that they go away

10. drakeznathan

drakeznathan Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hey mate, After how long you actually started using finasteride ? And do you take 1mg ED or EOD ?

11. Diego96

Diego96 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I started finasteride around June 2015. And I try to take 1mg every day but I tend to skip days quite often. Like I'd not take finasteride for 2-3 days sometimes but that's just because I'm lazy.

Same with the minoxidil, for the past few months I've rarely ever used it twice daily, it's mostly been one application every day. Once again that's just because I'm lazy. I personally don't think this has affected me much negatively though.

12. Diego96

Diego96 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Update:

January 2017: I decided to shave my head, just for the sake of it. Here are some photos. (Disclaimer: these were taken using my front camera so I apologise for the average quality.)

Left:

My left side is still the better responder to the finasteride + min combo. I'm pretty happy with this side; I'd say it's at about 95% density; as compared to my hair before I started losing it.

Left good.jpg

Right:

Still the side that needs some more work, but this is the best it's ever looked in my opinion. Right Good.jpg

8th of February 2017 (Yesterday)

I shaved my head again about a week ago and noticed some differences.

Left: Pretty much the same as what is depicted in the attached photo above.

Right: Seems thinner. My hairline isn't straight on this side anymore and slightly goes back; I'm either going through a shed or it's just downhill from here. I'd like to think that it's a shed - what do you guys think? You can see tiny hairs in the corner. I hope that's a positive sign.

Right Current.jpg

Also, over the past 5-6 months, my corners (where I apply min) randomly get very itchy. It's fine until I scratch once and then a wave of itchiness just hits me. It's also mainly my right side. I feel like the kirkland minoxidil that I'm using has lead to some sort of dryness in the area, so I've been applying coconut oil (for its moisturising properties) when I can, and I also started applying glycerol when I can. Apparently that helps with scalp dryness and irritation. The glycerol did give some almost immediate relief after my first application - either that or that was just a psychological delusion haha.

13. N003

N003 Experienced Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Sorry Mister!

I don't see any signs of male pattern baldness....and you take finasteride??? For what? For nothing...That's just crazy ;)

14. Diego96

Diego96 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Haha go back to my first post in this thread and you'll see that I do. All of the males in my dad's side are pretty much bald- just have the horseshoe thing going. I guess it's also a preventative measure.

paxis likes this.
  15. paxis

paxis Banned My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    How is your hair now? Did minoxidil help you?

16. michel sapin

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    i am exactly at the 1 year mark and unfortunately i am way worse than baseline

17. stachu

stachu Experienced Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    It looks like you had FUE lol!
    But you should put nizoral instantly on these scalp inflamations

18. Diego96

Diego96 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hahaha thanks man. Hopefully I can continue to get regrowth.

Does Nizoral really help with treating the itchiness caused by minoxidil? I haven't done much research on it and feel like it's an unnecessary addition (and expense haha).

19. Sam227

Sam227 Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    It's amazing how much nizoral can help with the itch. I use it 2-3 days a week

20. michel sapin

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    hey diego you only use minoxidil to your temple ? you use a full ml ?