10 mg of oral minoxidil or 5 mg twice a day?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's interesting, because I started it 3 weeks ago, and my hair has been thickening like crazy, I take 4mg daily.
Took for 5 months high dosage 10 to 20mg. Hair kept thinning as usuall. Had shedding first 2 weeks but no improvements just more thinning.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
d
But i would really consider just taking liquid orally if i were you. Such a high dose which im taking currently works wonders for me and other guys also praise it (there was this guy SmthAndy who wrote a giant post in which he desribed his liquid oral minoxidil journey, he has been taking it for like 4 years if I’m not mistaken and he says he feels fine)
amn and no weird hair growing on he upper cheek/ near nose?

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Being bald arguably makes you look even older than bad skin so now I'm trying to revert facial collagen loss with every scientifically proven method to increase facial collagen (microneedling + tretinoin + vitc + red light therapy + heavy skincare routine).

If this was possible, ageing would’ve been reversed. Unfortunately it’s not possible to reverse the collagen loss, just look at old grannies.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stop blaming your old age to minoxidill jesus. How long have u been on it? UR USING a very low dosage man how can it affect your skin. I used 10 to 20mg day for 5 months no facial changes. My dark circles happaned after severe insomnia and generally poor sleep, this is normal when you have a job to go to.
I have been experimenting with OM for over 2 years now. I literally have tested hopping off the drug several times and the puffyness/dark circles improve within 2 weeks, every time. I have repeated this process more than 4 times. In the end I always regret stopping because hair > skin, but I think its possible to upregulate collagen past minoxidil harm anyway so no reason not to use it.

I remember Pegasus claiming exactly the same effects on him as well.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If this was possible, ageing would’ve been reversed. Unfortunately it’s not possible to reverse the collagen loss, just look at old grannies.
It is possible to upregulate collagen on skin in quite a few ways, there are many studies proving it.

Microneedling: 400% increase
1656512495259.png

Retin-A -> 80% increase: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199308193290803
Red Light Therapy, Oral collagen peptides, Vit C among others

Just needling/tret should be enough to counteract minoxidil I think (i'll report in a few months)

Of course all of this is local to the face, I dont give a sh*t about rest of the body I dont think minoxidil has enough visual impact on that at all.

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is possible to upregulate collagen on skin in quite a few ways, there are many studies proving it.

Microneedling: 400% increase
View attachment 182000
Retin-A -> 80% increase: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199308193290803
Red Light Therapy, Oral collagen peptides, Vit C among others

Just needling/tret should be enough to counteract minoxidil I think (i'll report in a few months)

Of course all of this is local to the face, I dont give a sh*t about rest of the body I dont think minoxidil has enough visual impact on that at all.
Will this work on old ladies?

moksel

Reaction score
How do you take it?? Orally, sub,
I take it orally, in my mouth from the applicator. I separate the doses, 2 drops in the morning, 2 when I get home from work. This way there is less impact on sleep I find.

I was kind of giving up, I am 39 now, had been a crazy responder to topical minoxidil when I was 27, then my scalp got allergic to PPG (propylene glycol) and my progress stopped. Had some temporary reliefs with things like topical finasteride, or ASJC-9 in 2012, but the last years I never the crazy regrowth I had in the beginning.

I was thinking about getting a hair transplant, since my widows peak was thinning and my crown was thinning as well.

As desparate act I started oral minoxidil, first minoxidil USP from regrowthlabs (didn't work). I used like 10mg daily but nothing happened. The only thing that happened was that I felt like sh*t, I thought it may be the other ingredients.

Then 3 weeks ago, I started on a a generic brand of minoxidil with just alcohol and ppg and water (oral 4mg), since then my eye brows have thickned, my body hair increased slightly but nothing bad, but also my scalp hair fall stopped completely and I have quite some additional thickness and my whole scalp is covered in vellus hair, which I suspect will become terminal in the coming months. I will also begin to add some adjunctants like topical dutasteride after microneedling my tempels and retinoic acid as well to speed up the recovery. But so far I am feeling great about the future again. When the progress has become more noticable on camera, I will add pictures for proof. As I have some good before pictures because I had already gone through the process of looking for hair transplant surgeons.

Last edited:

coco_304

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I take it orally, in my mouth from the applicator. I separate the doses, 2 drops in the morning, 2 when I get home from work. This way there is less impact on sleep I find.

I was kind of giving up, I am 39 now, had been a crazy responder to topical minoxidil when I was 27, then my scalp got allergic to PPG (propylene glycol) and my progress stopped. Had some temporary reliefs with things like topical finasteride, or ASJC-9 in 2012, but the last years I never the crazy regrowth I had in the beginning.

I was thinking about getting a hair transplant, since my widows peak was thinning and my crown was thinning as well.

As desparate act I started oral minoxidil, first minoxidil USP from regrowthlabs (didn't work). I used like 10mg daily but nothing happened. The only thing that happened was that I felt like sh*t, I thought it may be the other ingredients.

Then 3 weeks ago, I started on a a generic brand of minoxidil with just alcohol and ppg and water (oral 4mg), since then my eye brows have thickned, my body hair increased slightly but nothing bad, but also my scalp hair fall stopped completely and I have quite some additional thickness and my whole scalp is covered in vellus hair, which I suspect will become terminal in the coming months. I will also begin to add some adjunctants like topical dutasteride after microneedling my tempels and retinoic acid as well to speed up the recovery. But so far I am feeling great about the future again. When the progress has become more noticable on camera, I will add pictures for proof. As I have some good before pictures because I had already gone through the process of looking for hair transplant surgeons.
So one drop equal to 1mg?

vondoom

My Regimen
Reaction score

good to know...
similar story here, good regrowth on min, then i had to stop due to ppg and i also used regrowthlabs (from 5% to10%)
and that didnt do anything...
oral min now, but that also doesnt seem to be working...
i ordered normal topical minoxodil again and give it another try, probably only once a day, though...

moksel

Reaction score
So one drop equal to 1mg?
Depends on the dropper, but you can simply count the drops that it takes to expell a certain amount of liquid from the applicator. And you know from the concentration, the amount of minoxidil in a ml. For mine this is 50 mg / ml. And I get about 25-28 drops for half a ml. Thats about 50 drops per ml that contains 50 mg. 50mg/50 drops = 1 mg/drop. .

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean the 2x dose a day makes sense because of the half life I guess, but I don't think it should make that much of a difference.

Half life means that you still have 50% of the drug after 6 hours, so even 24 hours after you will still have some minoxidil in your system and if you take it everyday it will start overlapping into a healthy dose

potatopirate

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral min works, been using it for a year now, dropped topical in place of it, and gained an overall increase in thickness everywhere, I take 10mg a day, I did 5mg a day, but I wanted to be hairer body wise aswell because f*** it, why not, got growth everywhere, full ape, perfectly happy with it.

I get regular checkups though, so unless you are commited to a none fast food high salt content diet and regular doctor vists, then dont take 10mg, sh*t diet sh*t life style will increase the likelihood of water retention

5minutesbeforemiracle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I recommend people look at the graph on this page which shows that 5mg does not necessarily have just twice the effect of 2.5mg. I assume the same logic applies for 10mg to 5mg.

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral min works, been using it for a year now, dropped topical in place of it, and gained an overall increase in thickness everywhere, I take 10mg a day, I did 5mg a day, but I wanted to be hairer body wise aswell because f*** it, why not, got growth everywhere, full ape, perfectly happy with it.

I get regular checkups though, so unless you are commited to a none fast food high salt content diet and regular doctor vists, then dont take 10mg, sh*t diet sh*t life style will increase the likelihood of water retention
Please post pics of full ape growth.