10 1/2 month update from dirtrider67

dirtrider67

Established Member
Reaction score
well, it's been 10 1/2 months since my 1471 graft hair transplant which i feel has been successful. don't get me wrong, there has been ups and downs but ultimately, i am very satisfied. in the sun light, it still looks thin but indoors, it looks full. and get this, in my cars rearview mirror, it looks the best. anyone ever noticed this before? so, at this point, i don't think i will have anymore growth although the experts say to give it a full 14 months, i was an early responder and it grew in pretty darn fast. so, i believe all the growing is done. i will wait until the 14 month mark to get a second procedure if i decide this is what i want to do because i want to give all the follicles a chance to deep root. the new hairs from my hair transplant are thickening up and i am happy i had the procedure. for those of you who don't know me, i am 40 now and have had a recedding hairline since i was tweenty. so, this is the most hair i've had on my hairline for almost 20 years. my wife still stairs at me with amazement and a glow in here eyes. that was almost worth it alone.

for my regimen i am only taking 1/4 proscar but am ready to start the rogaine up for my vertex. it appears to be the same as it was a year ago so i am assuming the finasteride is working but haven't seen a great improvement.

all opinions are appreciated.

before the procedure( i made the ink marks)
4c2c8bc4.jpg

now
7-13-07008.jpg

7-13-07009.jpg

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 21 and now you've got a better hairline than me!

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks great, especially for so few grafts. Massive improvement. Who did the transplant?

dirtrider67

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks...i'm pretty happy with what my doctor was able to accomplish with so few grafts. DR. GARBUTT in la jolla, california. san diego county is who performed my procedure. the price was fair and I think he did a great job.

G

DR,

Awesome brother! Your pics keep getting better and yes I agree, it's looks very natural man. Your newest pics actually look like Keith Oberman's hairline from MSNBC only he has lots of grey now.

At 52, I am doing the same regimen, 1/4 Proscar, and i am using minoxidil 5% on my vertex. What you will notice is not regrowth of anything meaningful, but you will notice a better covering effect because hair shaft diameter improves for many patients using minoxidil. The new Rogaine foam is great, no PG added to it. You might notice some initial shedding in the beginning and remember, you will be committed to it after you start it.

I agree that the regrowth is probably over although you may still get a few sprouts. It's hair caiber maturation in the 12 to 18 months post-op that you will think things are thickening again when in reality, fatter hair cylinders cover more scalp. Hair caliber is the single most critical factor in attaining the illusion of coverage.

Many guys blossom early on their first hair transplant mainly due to the fact the blood flow is at its best in a virgin scalp. Plus I noticed you healed very well. The chances of you wanting a second procedure down the road? 100% :hairy:

I love to hear about patients happy with their results! :D

Thanks for sharing your pics once again DR.

G

Dirtrider results look excellent keep us posted on your progress.

Damo

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
gillenator said:
DR,

Awesome brother! Your pics keep getting better and yes I agree, it's looks very natural man. Your newest pics actually look like Keith Oberman's hairline from MSNBC only he has lots of grey now.

At 52, I am doing the same regimen, 1/4 Proscar, and i am using minoxidil 5% on my vertex. What you will notice is not regrowth of anything meaningful, but you will notice a better covering effect because hair shaft diameter improves for many patients using minoxidil. The new Rogaine foam is great, no PG added to it. You might notice some initial shedding in the beginning and remember, you will be committed to it after you start it.

I agree that the regrowth is probably over although you may still get a few sprouts. It's hair caiber maturation in the 12 to 18 months post-op that you will think things are thickening again when in reality, fatter hair cylinders cover more scalp. Hair caliber is the single most critical factor in attaining the illusion of coverage.

Many guys blossom early on their first hair transplant mainly due to the fact the blood flow is at its best in a virgin scalp. Plus I noticed you healed very well. The chances of you wanting a second procedure down the road? 100% :hairy:

I love to hear about patients happy with their results! :D

Thanks for sharing your pics once again DR.

Interesting points G. I dont want to hijack DR's thread but may I ask you to elaborate more on your comment regarding virgin scalps and yield? Let me get this straight, you say the yield should be excellent on the first procedure b/c of increased bloodflow etc. Does this mean that the second and third procedures the probability of close to 100% yield is greatly compromised or challenged? This is really inportant for it will impact my decision for a second smaller procedure to thicked things up a tad. I am looking at 4-500 g's in the hair loss.
Thank you for your time.

DirtRider.....congrats again, looks nice for a smaller job and your level of hairloss. It really came out nice, the placement and all.

G

LG,

Generally speaking, we know that the blood flow to the scalp is compromised after the first procedure because of the damage done to blood vessels and the scar tissue that is formated in the recipient area.

That being said, there are some variables in the equation. What are they? The type of instrumentation used to create the recipient sites, and how close they are placed to each other. If the tool used is too invasive, the yield will not be nearly as good then if customized blades were used, thereby reducing the overall trauma to the area.

I am always amazed at the many pics I receive from guys throughout the world and the notable differences in trauma levels in post-op pics, especially the pics that show the recipient areas up to five days or so post-op. Overall, customized blades produce the least amount of trauma when comparing similiar sized sessions and recipient zones.

The other variables are how well one heals, and from what I remember you posting a year ago, you healed very well right? But some patients just formate large amounts of scar tissue in the healing process and as you know, some with raised scars, and or bumps. But they are the exception. It's difficult to put in percentages because some guys get great yields in subsequent procedures and some don't get nearly as good as their first one, yet they appear to heal fine.

If you are doing this next procedure to strengthen your hairline, you should be fine although I myself would wait until more coverage was needed. But I also respect the fact that you are not me, and you may want that touch up right now, rather than wait.

If you want to e-mail me your pics, good shots of your hairline, I will give you my honest opinion. But don't you want to wait until you get full hair calibre maturation before you get back in the OR? It seems to me that you did 2500 the first time or was it 1500?

If you have a pretty good degree of coarseness to your hair, then definitely wait out the maturation period because there will be a visual difference.

michael barry

Reaction score
this is good work indeed.

gillenator is right about vasularization and big insturments. Its probably why my plug field temples receeded and stopped right where the work had stopped. They might have damaged the vasularity in my scalp back in 96'. There are much much better docs in the transplant business now if one researches who they are and where they practice.

I'd have never "made' that hairline depicted in the photos, and Im damn good at marking "work". Somebody did their homework. Congrats.

G

Couldnt agree more Michael. It took me a good 12 months before i chose my surgeon. I spent hours and hours researching and going on forums like this one asking questions of past patients etc.

Damo