1 Year On Propecia - I Hope I'm Not Alone

droopylemons

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I think I might be the only person on here who has experienced this (hopefully not, but I have yet to find a thread discussing this issue, so I thought i'd share my story). I apologize if this in the wrong place or has been covered already, this is my first post, so i'm still getting used to navigating this site.

A little over a year ago, I started taking 1mg of Propecia a day . It was a decision I didn't make lightly, and I took a lot of time to think things through before I made that choice (we've all heard the horror stories on here). I ultimately made the choice because my shedding was so bad. I couldn't even begin to tell you how much hair I was losing. It covered the shower drain, It was all over the bathroom sink when I combed my hair, all over my clothes during the day, in my car... pretty much everywhere all the time. I'll never forget driving with my friend with the windows down and he was getting hair in eyes and mouth (gross, I know, and pretty embarrassing). The weird thing was that for how much hair I was losing, I still appeared to have a full head of hair, with some thinning on the crown that was getting slightly worse over time, but not as much as I would have expected given the clumps of hair I had in the bottom of the shower each day (I'm going to try to find some pictures for you guys that I can attach on here when I get home tonight).

So I finally started propecia and....... nothing. nothing happened. I had no side effects, no increase in initial shedding, though I was losing so much hair it would probably be impossible to tell. This went on for a few months. I started in September and by the end of February - early march (so around 5 months of nothing lol and then things started looking up), my shedding had basically stopped. I lost virtually no hair in the shower, maybe one or two came out when I combed/brushed, and couldn't really see any excessive loss throughout the day, just normal. It felt great! Then by the end of May the shedding started to return. It started slowly, and with each day and each shower came a little more hair, and a little more. I've read that some people experience a second shed around the 7-8 month mark, so I tried to ride it out. Well its early October now and i'm still shedding, almost back to what it was before I started Propecia. In pictures my hair doesn't look any worse, my crown might be slightly worse than it was, but only a little. The only difference is that my hair feels so much thinner. I have long, shoulder length hair and usually wear a ponytail. I've noticed that my ponytail is so much thinner and that the hair ties have to be wrapped around an extra time to keep my hair back and in place. I'm not really sure whats going on, since my hair looks the same, it almost seems as though I'm thinning throughout my entire scalp, but it's hard to tell.

All I know is that I have been on the drug for over a year, and in that year I had about 3 months of great results, and the rest was as if I have never taken Propecia.

I just thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone had any similar experiences or advice for me. I really appreciate you all taking the time to read this.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you should not base your progress or lack of with feeling the thickness of your hair with your hands. If pictures are not showing a regreasion--then I would stay the course.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So you are using Merck Propecia and not generic finasteride? And you have been using Propecia for the whole year?

droopylemons

My Regimen
Reaction score
So you are using Merck Propecia and not generic finasteride? And you have been using Propecia for the whole year?

I'm not really sure. I get the script from my dermatologist (try to stay away from any of those internet vendors) and have it filled at Walgreen's.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I asked to see if you might have been given a different brand of lower quality over the course of your year of treatment. Although I think it is less likely to happen in the US, it is still possible that certain generics are of shitty quality. Teva was just in the news for having toxic impurities in their heart drug which was manufactured in India. It's rare, but it happens. For people who are soooo fanatical about their hair, like myself, I will only use products made by Merck, which leaves either Propecia or Proscar.

droopylemons

My Regimen
Reaction score
I asked to see if you might have been given a different brand of lower quality over the course of your year of treatment. Although I think it is less likely to happen in the US, it is still possible that certain generics are of shitty quality. Teva was just in the news for having toxic impurities in their heart drug which was manufactured in India. It's rare, but it happens. For people who are soooo fanatical about their hair, like myself, I will only use products made by Merck, which leaves either Propecia or Proscar.
I see.. I'm not too sure, but I'll look into it. Its now the end of October, so it's pretty much been 5 months of consecutive shedding. I don't really understand why the drug would work amazingly for just a few short months, and then suddenly just stop. It's also weird knowing that many people face side effects and other forms of complications, but for me it's just as though the drug has done nothing. I'm pretty confused on what to do next, not sure if it's time to throw in the towel, or maybe hold on for another few months to see if there will be any change, though I kind of doubt it at this point.

droopylemons

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m in the same boat as you man. Been on propecia for 9 months and still shedding. I have longer hair so pictures looks the same but I’m losing density all over head, not just male pattern baldness areas
Exactly! It's really weird... The sides and back of my head, places where even bald men have hair, feels so much thinner.

Real red

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m in the exact same boat guys, started off with just 3mg a week which stopped my shedding, I pretty much didn’t lose a single hair for about 6 months, and then bang, the shedding came back worse than before. So I have upped the dosage to the standard 7mg a for the past 4 months, and if anything it’s actually started to worsen, or perhaps I just notice it more, either way upping the dosage has not helped. I’m on the verge of starting with Dutasteride, although I know there is no coming back from that once started. Anybody out there got the answers?