1 year on oral minoxidil and still shedding and losing hair like crazy?

Anthonydbz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No gains just loss. Is it over for me? 1 year on oral minoxidil and still shedding like crazy? no results yet. I’m way below baseline right now. What should I do? I feel like it’s just progressing my hairloss faster? I’m also been on dutesteride also for 3 years and no gains or stoppage. I’m on the best hairlosss prevention combo so why am I still losing a lot of hair? I feel like minoxidil just accelerated hairloss that I was already losing on dutesteride. I take 2.5mg minoxidil and 0.5 dutesteride please help. is it just over for me? I promise I’m not delusional I’ve had friends and family tell me that I’ve been losing more hair and I can feel my scalp more. What do I do please help

Homie

Reaction score
Wow, that does sound pretty dire. If you care about your hair. Which most of us do. Let me ask you this. Have you tried topical minoxidil? It was after all what was approved on the hair front. Not doubting the possibly power of taking it orally, I know the history. But if you have not tried it topically, its worth a shot.

But that won't solve the problem.

You've tried oral dutasteride, which is good. Have you tried finasteride? You might laugh, and say that dutasteride is stronger. Which it is, generally at least. But bodies are weird, science is weird. I'd at least try taking a healthy dose of finasteride.

And have you tried any topical DHT inhibitors? Green tea comes to mind off hand, but there are several (at least) you can try.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
No gains just loss. Is it over for me? 1 year on oral minoxidil and still shedding like crazy? no results yet. I’m way below baseline right now. What should I do? I feel like it’s just progressing my hairloss faster? I’m also been on dutesteride also for 3 years and no gains or stoppage. I’m on the best hairlosss prevention combo so why am I still losing a lot of hair? I feel like minoxidil just accelerated hairloss that I was already losing on dutesteride. I take 2.5mg minoxidil and 0.5 dutesteride please help. is it just over for me? I promise I’m not delusional I’ve had friends and family tell me that I’ve been losing more hair and I can feel my scalp more. What do I do please help
Get on RU

Homie

Reaction score
Get on RU

You know, I tried that back in the day, don't think it did anything. I think one is much better off trying a flutamide topical, which has a smaller molecular weight (hence more likely to make it through the skin, etc. into the hair follicle itself) than RU, and has MUCH more science around it (flutamide being used mainstream in the drug world for years, RU not at all). Plus RU I hear has some problem staying stable if you mix it up ahead of time I hear. All in all, if you want to go that route, I'd say go flutamide.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
You know, I tried that back in the day, don't think it did anything. I think one is much better off trying a flutamide topical, which has a smaller molecular weight (hence more likely to make it through the skin, etc. into the hair follicle itself) than RU, and has MUCH more science around it (flutamide being used mainstream in the drug world for years, RU not at all). Plus RU I hear has some problem staying stable if you mix it up ahead of time I hear. All in all, if you want to go that route, I'd say go flutamide.
Same but only used for 2 months. Just bought 10g of it and will use twice daily this time. And ru molar mass is in the 300, and penetration is very fast into the blood even hence the sides. Flutamide is harder to get, expensive and got more sides.

Last edited:

Homie

Reaction score
I hear you losingbattle88. Flutamide is very easy from me to order from India in USA, very cheap, much cheaper than RU. But if RU is easy for you to get, have at it! Please do remember to come back to the forum and post your results, good or back, if you get some before/after pics that would be absolutely fantastic!!!

ninarosshairtherapy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Understandably, you're frustrated after experiencing ongoing hair loss despite being on oral minoxidil for a year. While oral minoxidil is a powerful tool for hair growth, it doesn't work for everyone and doesn't always show results immediately. Here are some possible reasons why you might still be shedding hair:

Individual Response: Everyone responds differently to medications, and oral minoxidil is no exception. Some people experience significant hair growth within a few months, while others see minimal results or none at all.

Underlying Cause: Hair loss can be caused by various factors, including genetics, hormonal imbalances, nutritional deficiencies, scalp conditions, and autoimmune diseases. Oral minoxidil might not address the underlying cause of your hair loss, limiting its effectiveness.

Dosage: The optimal dosage for oral minoxidil varies depending on individual factors. If your dosage is too low, it might not be sufficient to stimulate hair growth effectively.

Duration of Treatment: While some people see results within months, it can take up to 12-18 months for oral minoxidil to reach its full effect. Be patient and continue treatment consistently if your doctor recommends it.

Shedding Phase: Minoxidil can sometimes cause an initial "shedding phase" before promoting new hair growth. This initial shedding is usually temporary and can last for 2-8 weeks. However, if the shedding continues excessively, consult your doctor.

Other factors: Stress, lack of sleep, and an unhealthy diet can also contribute to hair loss and might counteract the positive effects of minoxidil.

Next Steps:
  • Consult your doctor: Discussing your concerns with your doctor who prescribed the minoxidil is crucial. They can assess your progress, adjust the dosage if needed, rule out other contributing factors, and explore alternative treatment options.
  • Be patient: Remember, hair growth takes time, and even with consistent use, it might take up to 18 months to see the full effect of oral minoxidil.
  • Consider additional approaches: Depending on the underlying cause of your hair loss, your doctor might suggest combining oral minoxidil with other treatments like topical minoxidil, finasteride, or lifestyle changes.
Remember, you're not alone in experiencing hair loss concerns. Talking to your doctor and exploring available options can help you find the best approach to manage your hair loss and achieve your desired results.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I hear you losingbattle88. Flutamide is very easy from me to order from India in USA, very cheap, much cheaper than RU. But if RU is easy for you to get, have at it! Please do remember to come back to the forum and post your results, good or back, if you get some before/after pics that would be absolutely fantastic!!!
Yes I will. The customs is so very strict in sweden that every shipper has banned us. And my ru is from EU so shipping is faster. When I ordered from india or China i always had to wait a month or more.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Understandably, you're frustrated after experiencing ongoing hair loss despite being on oral minoxidil for a year. While oral minoxidil is a powerful tool for hair growth, it doesn't work for everyone and doesn't always show results immediately. Here are some possible reasons why you might still be shedding hair:

Individual Response: Everyone responds differently to medications, and oral minoxidil is no exception. Some people experience significant hair growth within a few months, while others see minimal results or none at all.

Underlying Cause: Hair loss can be caused by various factors, including genetics, hormonal imbalances, nutritional deficiencies, scalp conditions, and autoimmune diseases. Oral minoxidil might not address the underlying cause of your hair loss, limiting its effectiveness.

Dosage: The optimal dosage for oral minoxidil varies depending on individual factors. If your dosage is too low, it might not be sufficient to stimulate hair growth effectively.

Duration of Treatment: While some people see results within months, it can take up to 12-18 months for oral minoxidil to reach its full effect. Be patient and continue treatment consistently if your doctor recommends it.

Shedding Phase: Minoxidil can sometimes cause an initial "shedding phase" before promoting new hair growth. This initial shedding is usually temporary and can last for 2-8 weeks. However, if the shedding continues excessively, consult your doctor.

Other factors: Stress, lack of sleep, and an unhealthy diet can also contribute to hair loss and might counteract the positive effects of minoxidil.

Next Steps:
  • Consult your doctor: Discussing your concerns with your doctor who prescribed the minoxidil is crucial. They can assess your progress, adjust the dosage if needed, rule out other contributing factors, and explore alternative treatment options.
  • Be patient: Remember, hair growth takes time, and even with consistent use, it might take up to 18 months to see the full effect of oral minoxidil.
  • Consider additional approaches: Depending on the underlying cause of your hair loss, your doctor might suggest combining oral minoxidil with other treatments like topical minoxidil, finasteride, or lifestyle changes.
Remember, you're not alone in experiencing hair loss concerns. Talking to your doctor and exploring available options can help you find the best approach to manage your hair loss and achieve your desired results.
Ur very correct.

Anthonydbz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride sometimes increases hair loss through upregulation. When I tried it, it made my hair worse and I had a horrible itch, lots of sebum, etc.

I would switch to finasteride and see how you do. Problem is, it will take about 6 months off dutasteride to clear your system though.

Hop off dutasteride, maybe try RU.
How should I switch of it? And it my receptors are unregulated. How can I fix it?

Anthonydbz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just replied to you in the tranny thread. But they will just tell you to transition. If you don’t want to take those drugs and figure out your options, let me know
What are my options what happens if my receptor got sensitive because lack of dht and created a lot of ar’s. How can fix that and revert it back to normal?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
What are my options what happens if my receptor got sensitive because lack of dht and created a lot of ar’s. How can fix that and revert it back to normal?
Tbh if dutasteride did this to you finasteride will do the same thing, Just less severe. You either respond to 5aris or you dont. Trial topical RU58841 with oral minoxidil nothing else. Or use estrogen and destroy your life.