1 Year on finasteride. Your thoughts....

breeze

Reaction score
Hello all, its been nearly a year since I've been on finasteride(fincar) and Im about a month supply away from deciding to switch to dutasteride or continue with the finasteride. So far, I really don't know what to say about my results. When I first started the finasteride, I had a shaved head. I was on finasteride for about 3 months with a shaved head so I really cant grasp a before and after.

When I started growing out my hair, I let it grow out longer then I usually had it. My hair line receded a bit but my vertex is fine. Of course Im comparing my hairline with pictures when I was 19-20(im 26 now).

I keep a 25mm or 1" cut(according to my shavers clip). When I first cut it that short, I could see parts of my scalp from the left side of my head.

Now, I honestly wanna say that my hair has thickened a bit. I cut my hair every two weeks and I no longer see my scalp as easily. I look at my hairline and I see hairs growing out. The only thing Im trying to figure out is that are these new hairs or are they hairs that have fallen off(via daily shed) and are now growing back?

One thing though, I still shed. If I were to stand over the sink and started shaking my hair, Ill shed a good number of hairs. The funny thing is, my hair doesn't look its getting worse, it looks like its getting better.

Thoughts?

Goingat20

Reaction score
breeze said:
Hello all, its been nearly a year since I've been on finasteride(fincar) and Im about a month supply away from deciding to switch to dutasteride or continue with the finasteride. So far, I really don't know what to say about my results. When I first started the finasteride, I had a shaved head. I was on finasteride for about 3 months with a shaved head so I really cant grasp a before and after.

When I started growing out my hair, I let it grow out longer then I usually had it. My hair line receded a bit but my vertex is fine. Of course Im comparing my hairline with pictures when I was 19-20(im 26 now).

I keep a 25mm or 1" cut(according to my shavers clip). When I first cut it that short, I could see parts of my scalp from the left side of my head.

Now, I honestly wanna say that my hair has thickened a bit. I cut my hair every two weeks and I no longer see my scalp as easily. I look at my hairline and I see hairs growing out. The only thing Im trying to figure out is that are these new hairs or are they hairs that have fallen off(via daily shed) and are now growing back?

One thing though, I still shed. If I were to stand over the sink and started shaking my hair, Ill shed a good number of hairs. The funny thing is, my hair doesn't look its getting worse, it looks like its getting better.

Thoughts?

Yes, the hairs shed daily will grow back (and hopefully thicker)! Dont even think about dutasteride, your results sound awesome, just continue with finasteride ride out the sheds and by the sounds of things your hair will only get better!

breeze

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I'm gonna give finasteride some more time and see how it turns out.

And for those of you curious to where I am on the Norwood scale, Im somewhere around the 2. Im not quite there yet. Im actually a lot better but I can see the "V" shape on my forehead. My vertex is all but perfect. Not confident enough to walk around with a soaked head though.

The shedding is what concerns me.