1 year finasteride

candlelight

Reaction score
So I have been taking finasteride for more then a year now,
& have been using Minoxidil for 2 years.
So now I have begun to shed... I've never experienced this before....

maybe it's Telegon Effluvium since I'm losing it everywhere & when i say everywhere...
Within my whole regime when my fingers went through my hair, I would only have
2 or 4 hair.
While now I just can't count them anymore! I'm going crazy about this at the moment.

Has anyone had this before?
Should I be worried?
Could it possible be temporary because I was sick.
My hormones have been checked and are fine.

So my shedding has started +/- 3 weeks ago.
Should I ride it out? or should i move over to dutasteride? My temples are becoming stronger! It's just weird that all of the sudden,
after so many months of treatment, I just keep losing hair.

Thank you for reading!
regards, candlelight.

DrDog

Reaction score
What's good friend.

I'm about 1.2 years at the moment on the Big 3 as well and I'm shedding too. But don't trip, it's normal. Minoxidil synchronizes your follicles, and thus minor sheds are normal. Stronger, thicker, more resilient hair will take the place of the hair falling out.

If this were after the 2 year mark, perhaps you might have problems related to finasteride losing effectiveness, but I think everything should be alright. Ride it out, pour that emotion and energy into school or work.

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea when the finasteride shed typically starts? I just hit 2 months on. Basically have went from shedding at hairline to not shedding there at all. The crown seems to be slightly shedding but still seems less than when I started. I am wonder if the shed typically starts right away or if starts at a certain amount of time.

candlelight

Reaction score
Thank you, the both of you :eek:

@DrDog : Glad I am not the only one in this boat.
My hair does feel thicker but I have less of it, if you understand what I mean.
Except the front of my hairline is getting thinner by the month while before starting finasteride it was okay.
Did you experienced the same? how is your situation at the moment?

Couldn't it be possible, because of the minoxidil that has been changed? since I normally buy it elsewhere the pharmacy I mean...
& Have gone back to my old one because it was a bit cheaper But the Acne & shedding have returned.
has someone else noticing shedding when changing minoxidil?

Going to give Nizoral a try again since I haven't been able to find it in the pharmacy...
I think every man is buying it in the area where i live héhé.

@Kmm : I have never experienced a shedding until a few weeks back.
And when i mean shed i mean a lot! before I only had 5 to 20 hairs when i washed and placed minoxidil on my head.
but now it's the shower alone that has 40 or more hairs. I think it's best not the count or you will stress out & lose more hair.
Like DrDog said try not to think about it & put your energy into school, work or go for a walk, sports :D

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
Good advice candlelight. I guess with only being on finasteride for 2 months I am wondering if it is working or not. I do feel little prickly hairs coming in at hairline from the minoxidil and finasteride combo. Not big enough to be cosmetically noticeable. Hopefully they get thick. Guess any response is better than none, Ill have to wait in see.