1 more Saw Palmetto q..

Chris23

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've been away from the board for well over a year and quite frankly I don't feel like going back thru all the old posts to do research on Saw Palmetto. From what I remember I know it's not very popular and many have said straight out not to use it..but why?
I've been really thinking about getting back on Proscar and I was doing some research just now on Saw Palmetto, I did a Google search on it and came to this link that said this about it being more effective the Proscar...... "Like Proscar, the therapeutic effect of the saw palmetto extract appears to be due to its inhibition of dihydrotestosterone, the compound that causes the prostate cells to multiply excessively. However, saw palmetto extract goes well beyond Proscar. The extract not only inhibits the formation of dihydrotestosterone, it also inhibits dihydrotestosterone from binding at cellular binding sites. Since Proscar has no effect on binding, saw palmetto has a much greater effect than Proscar--as clinical results prove. Numerous studies show that saw palmetto extract is effective in nearly 90% of patients, usually in a period of four to six weeks. In contrast, Proscar is effective in reducing the symptoms in less than 50% of patients who took it for one year....
"Clearly, saw palmetto extract is superior to Proscar. It is also significantly less expensive--it is at least one-fourth the price. The standard dosage of the fat-soluble saw acids and sterols is 160 milligrams, twice daily. For best results, make sure you are using the right extract at the right dosage. Detailed toxicology studies of the extract have been carried out on mice, rats, and dogs. None indicates that the extract has toxic effects. No significant side effects have ever been reported in the clinical trials of the extract or after saw palmetto berry ingestion."
It came from this link.. http://www.mendosa.com/sawpalm.htm
However, it didn't mention hair loss one time, I'm assuming since it's never been flat out tested for it but what caught my attention is how it said it was straight better then Proscar..
I also came across this wrote by a doctor on another site when discussing if he thinks Saw Palmetto helps hair loss "There was a small study a few years ago that showed a potential benefit for hair growth in male pattern baldness when saw palmetto was combined with beta sitosterol"
I'm trying as hard as I can to stop my starting receeding hairline as naturally as I can without having to get on Proscar again so I'm very much considering trying Saw Palmetto with the beta sitosterol just for a few mts to see what happens, what will a few mts at the least hurt?
What do you guys think?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I think Saw Palmetto has such little scientific backing that's it's almost useless to use it as a SOLE treatment.

Do yourself the favor and get on finasteride. It's proven. This forum has talked so much about Saw Palmetto, and we've never come to a decisive answer about its efficacy.

I use it to supplement my regime for goodluck, although I doubt it's helping.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.

Chris23

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know it probably won't do much by itself but I'm planning on trying with it Beta Sitosterol, Pygeum, Biotin, and maybe MSM..along with Nizoral and a all organic Biotin shampoo I'm hoping that I might have some good results since I'm not that that bad yet, of course it's bad in my eyes but that's just cause it's me. I don't have the funds at the moment to be able to stay religiously on finasteride at the moment so I thought maybe this might be a good alternative to at least try.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Nothing on your proposed list, with the possible exception of Nizoral, has been shown to arrest male pattern baldness or regrow hair. Nothing. I can't even recall a single attributable anecdotal success in the 10+ years of casual research I've done.

Some people feel Nizoral may be a good adjunct treatment to other things. I doubt it will do diddly on its own...and its synergistic benefits aren't even quantifiable as far as I know.

Chris23 said:
Yeah I know it probably won't do much by itself but I'm planning on trying with it Beta Sitosterol, Pygeum, Biotin, and maybe MSM..along with Nizoral and a all organic Biotin shampoo I'm hoping that I might have some good results since I'm not that that bad yet, of course it's bad in my eyes but that's just cause it's me. I don't have the funds at the moment to be able to stay religiously on finasteride at the moment so I thought maybe this might be a good alternative to at least try.

Chris23

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't know how extensive your research has been but I found all the stuff I posted in my original post all in about an hour earlier today. Every one of them mentioned hair loss at some point but they're not going to do deep research, they don't want to find benefits that they have for hair loss/regrowth because they won't be making all the big money that finasteride brings in off of it.
Nah, Nizoral I don't think has done much for me, I've used it for the last year and half I definetly haven't got any noticeable regrowth anywhere from it.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
I'm no MD. My point is that I've not read about nor spoken to anyone who has had measurable success with the agents you mentioned when used singly or as a group, whereas the evidence that some commercial medications can be of benefit is overwhelming. I'm not saying that using Saw Palmetto and the other items you mention will harm you - again, I'm not an MD. I'm just betting my chips, on the basis of having never heard otherwise, that it won't help you. Whether the opportunity cost is of consequence to you or not is your call.

I also use Nizoral and find it to be a good anti-dandruff shampoo. I don't believe it's a measurably successful anti-hairloss agent, however. Again, using in combination with the proven remedies seems reasonable. If success is realized, however, who can say what portion is attributable to the Nizoral, if any?

Chris23 said:
Well, I don't know how extensive your research has been but I found all the stuff I posted in my original post all in about an hour earlier today. Every one of them mentioned hair loss at some point but they're not going to do deep research, they don't want to find benefits that they have for hair loss/regrowth because they won't be making all the big money that finasteride brings in off of it.
Nah, Nizoral I don't think has done much for me, I've used it for the last year and half I definetly haven't got any noticeable regrowth anywhere from it.

haymes

Reaction score
For a male saw palmetto is a good thing. Even if it hasn't been proven to help baldness, it does have a good effect on the prostate. I am taking standardized, 2 pills, twice per day. Biotin is a good supplement as well as grape seed extract. Stimulate the growth with minoxidil 5 percent, twice per day, and do the anti DHT topically, ie: Revivogen. 7 months and still growing hair. My crown is not as good as my frontal baldness, but it is showing promise. Just make sure you are consistent and don't miss applications.