1 Month on Proscar w/Pics

Sowaa

Reaction score
I have been on proscar (1mg/day) with nothing else for about a month was wondering if I am suppose to be shedding this much? Will it get better?

Also I don't notice the shedding anywhere I only notice about 15 hairs a day which is weired.

thanks

GoatsHair

Reaction score
It looks like a bad shed...?

I thought you weren't supposed to shed much on finasteride!?!? :shock: ... only minoxidil....

I feel for you... let us know how things go.... hopefully it improves.

Sowaa

Reaction score
GoatsHair said:
It looks like a bad shed...?

I thought you weren't supposed to shed much on finasteride!?!? :shock: ... only minoxidil....

I feel for you... let us know how things go.... hopefully it improves.

Yeah, that's what I thought.
I thought finasteride was suppose to help keep your hair but it seems to have done almost nothing for my hair loss.

I really hope it improves in the coming months.

G

Drugs like finasteride(Proscar) and dutasteride(Avodart) can also synchronize the hair shed cycles and this results in sheds. If you ride the shed out, the hair will come back in a few months, most likely thicker, but it will come back at the same thickness it was before at least I'd imagine. And if it doesn't, well the hair was on its way out anyway and the drug just isn't strong enough to stop that hair from miniaturizing. Follicles are funny things.

Stopping the drug now though would be the worst thing that you could do, because if my first possible explanation is true and that your hair shed because of the drug, by stopping it, within a week your DHT levels will be back up to what they were before starting, and that hair might grow in thinner, or perhaps thin so much that you can't even see it anymore. It's just gone. So I hope you aren't considering stopping now, for your sake.

And one thing to point out:

From looking at your before pic, and then looking at the after and where you're shedding from, I see that the hair from your "shedding" region was thin in comparison to the rest of your hair even before Proscar. Your one month pic looks like the same style of diffuse thinning that I had, and I recovered great from my 2-3 sheds that I endured all this time on dutasteride.

Sowaa

Reaction score
Yeah I will definitely continue taking the drug and see what kind of results I get.
I will try and do a follow up in a one or two months.

Jayman, how long after the sheds did you start noticing your hair getting better? and did you use Nizoral?

HairMe

Reaction score
just with finasteride? your first pic doesn't really show that you're losing your hair. But You know it better, I'm sure.

Sowaa

Reaction score
Well I used to have ALOT of hair, so the first pic is when I lost about 1/2 of the density I used to have on the top of my head(but you can't tell from the pic).

ps1freak

Established Member
Reaction score
doode you have the same hair as me man, i'm asian too.

in fact your top looks identical to mine b4 i went on propecia.

you are prob a Norwood 1, it's hard to tell at that angle but DEF NO WORST than a Norwood 2 cause that's what i am at currently.

its good you are on proscar bro, i am 24 now and i also started to lose in your pattern when i was 21, tho it went really slow until a big shed occured when i turned 22.

the propecia did not regrow my hair to the original thickness, but i def only see scalp in super bright light.

goodluck and be patient, it's been 1 year for me and things are looking okay. if you are stlll losing after a year, add foam.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
finasteride is not suppose to give you a great deal of regrowth from the first place

you are probabily experiencing a shed, I hope your hair will grow back thicker, best of luck!

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
your hair loss does not seem bad at all. it has only been one month so you gotta give the treatments time to work. good luck

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah...one of the thing I can say, You catch it early!

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
it seems you are one of those case who shouldnt of took the plunge! your hair was thick in the before cannot even see the scalp and maybe out of paranoia you took proscar and you shed like crazy.

how much is the dosage?

Sowaa

Reaction score
I take around 1/5 proscar everymorning.

I knew it was the right time to take it because I was losing hair in the front really fast and I already lost about half the density I already had on the crown after 6 months, and it wasn't growing back.

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
Sowaa said:
I take around 1/5 proscar everymorning.

I knew it was the right time to take it because I was losing hair in the front really fast and I already lost about half the density I already had on the crown after 6 months, and it wasn't growing back.

maybe that is the shed or something? it was really looking thick in the before...someone said on here its not the shedding but if your hair looks thin...cause some people shed alot of hair when they brush or shower but still have a thick head of hair.

how many hairs were you shedding?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Sowaa said:
Thanks for the comments.
I have had no sides, so things are looking good.

Ps1, I have not seen any other asians on this forum while I was a lurker.
So it is good to hear about your experience so far.

I am asian. I have been on minoxidil for a yr and finasteride for 10 months now. Great maintainese and minor regrowth.

I have had minor sides, but it's nothing I can't deal with.

Best of luck!