1 Month On Finasteride: No Change In Dht Levels

klooop

My Regimen
Reaction score
After experiencing overall diffuse thinning and some temple thinning (minor compared to the overall diffuse thinning), I got a prescription for Finasteride 5mg which I split into fourths. Have been taking 1.25mg every day for a bit over a month now.

I got a few hormone level checked before starting (which was actually what convinced me to begin with Finasteride in the first place):

Pre-Finasteride:
DHT 1460 ng/l (Range: 250-990)
Testosterone: 637 ug/l (Range: 280-1100)
Estradiol: 24 ng/l (Range: 11-44)

4 weeks in, I got those levels checked again:

Post-Finasteride:
DHT 1670 ng/l (Range: 250-990)
Testosterone: 890 ug/l (Range: 280-1100)
Estradiol: 41 ng/l (Range: 11-44)

So, Testosterone increased, Estradiol increased (+70%!) AND DHT increased after 4 weeks of 1.25mg Finasteride. No sides, maybe libido a bit down but I attribute that to nocebo. How would that even be possible? My mind is blown. Shedding did not improve in any way. Scalp itch improved a bit though.

Thought: Do diffuse thinners have just really high DHT without any explicit sensitivity of follicles to DHT, which in turn would manifest in the male baldness pattern? Do some people have a genetic resistance to Finasteride?

katalan33

My Regimen
Reaction score
Theoretically, your DHT level should go down 70% (+-15%) from baseline after a month. So, in your case, your DHT level should be in range of 300 - 600. But it is 1670?? It’s not working at all.

I recommend you to consult with your doctor. This is not normal.
It’s possible that
- your pills are NOT actually finasteride (I don’t know how but it could happen)
- your body is different and hormones are different somehow
- medications other than finasteride or other supplements you take increase your DHT level

They are just my guesses. Go to see a doctor.

klooop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Theoretically, your DHT level should go down 70% (+-15%) from baseline after a month. So, in your case, your DHT level should be in range of 300 - 600. But it is 1670?? It’s not working at all.

I recommend you to consult with your doctor. This is not normal.
It’s possible that
- your pills are NOT actually finasteride (I don’t know how but it could happen)
- your body is different and hormones are different somehow
- medications other than finasteride or other supplements you take increase your DHT level

They are just my guesses. Go to see a doctor.

I got a prescription as I said and got the pills from a reputable pharmacy in central Europe.
I already thought about some enzyme/genetic difference - welp.
I don't take any other medication, so I can rule that possibility out at least.

Will definitely see a doctor.

BUT Finasteride has to have SOME effect on my body, right? With the increase of Estradiol and Testosterone, I mean why would that happen otherwise? I know those values fluctuate, but by over 70% in the case of Estrogen? I somehow doubt it.

klooop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Would that really make a difference? Would that potentially avoid rapid metabolization in the liver by CYP3A4?

katalan33

My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean as you see your test result finasteride definitely has some effect on your body. Finasteride increases testosterone and estradiol level by 15% average (I got them from Merck).
Yours are 40% and 70% increase within a month. It’s just doesn’t seem right. :confused:

Btg

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Afaik dht levels are quite inconsistent throughout the day , thats why doctors told me it is pointless to test dht before - after starting finasteride . But i ve heard that a percentage of people has a different 5ar structure , and finasteride cant bind . Perhaps you can try a different 5ar inhibitor , or topical AAs

lukedorian

Reaction score
After experiencing overall diffuse thinning and some temple thinning (minor compared to the overall diffuse thinning), I got a prescription for Finasteride 5mg which I split into fourths. Have been taking 1.25mg every day for a bit over a month now.

I got a few hormone level checked before starting (which was actually what convinced me to begin with Finasteride in the first place):

Pre-Finasteride:
DHT 1460 ng/l (Range: 250-990)
Testosterone: 637 ug/l (Range: 280-1100)
Estradiol: 24 ng/l (Range: 11-44)

4 weeks in, I got those levels checked again:

Post-Finasteride:
DHT 1670 ng/l (Range: 250-990)
Testosterone: 890 ug/l (Range: 280-1100)
Estradiol: 41 ng/l (Range: 11-44)

So, Testosterone increased, Estradiol increased (+70%!) AND DHT increased after 4 weeks of 1.25mg Finasteride. No sides, maybe libido a bit down but I attribute that to nocebo. How would that even be possible? My mind is blown. Shedding did not improve in any way. Scalp itch improved a bit though.

Thought: Do diffuse thinners have just really high DHT without any explicit sensitivity of follicles to DHT, which in turn would manifest in the male baldness pattern? Do some people have a genetic resistance to Finasteride?

It is working E2 have doubled, give it time, high E2 will shut down HTPA, lower testosterone and DHT, it´s just poison, you are still in time to try and reduce the dose as much as possible.

klooop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Afaik dht levels are quite inconsistent throughout the day , thats why doctors told me it is pointless to test dht before - after starting finasteride . But i ve heard that a percentage of people has a different 5ar structure , and finasteride cant bind . Perhaps you can try a different 5ar inhibitor , or topical AAs
As @katalan33 said, my E2 increased significantly, so it's at least doing something. Could this be backdoor synthesis of DHT?

It is working E2 have doubled, give it time, high E2 will shut down HTPA, lower testosterone and DHT, it´s just poison, you are still in time to try and reduce the dose as much as possible.
Shouldn't finasteride lower DHT significantly within a few days (essentially after the first dose)?

klooop

My Regimen
Reaction score
its definitely finasteride u r taking if it increased ur estradiol so much

whats ur hair state rn?

Well, Finasteride yes, but if it increased Estradiol that much, it essentially had to increase Free Testosterone and that would be due to actual inhibition of 5ar. So that should actually be evidence enough for Finasteride to be able to attach to my 5ar - I can't fully explain the whole thing that happened to my hormones though.
  1. Did my body produce more 5ar due to inhibition?
    • Unlikely -> would not lead to the increase of E2 I am seeing
  2. Is my body synthesizing DHT through a backdoor?

If I had to guess, I lost around 40% of my hair volume (number of hairs + single hair thickness) during the last year. Now working with dull, strawy, kinky hair that is not as dark as it was a year ago. (Follicles don't seem to have as much pigment and/or are transparent?)

Diffuse thinning all around the scalp (sides/top/back), positive pull test everywhere essentially. No hairline recession at all, temples are a bit thinner than the rest, but not too significant - the overall hair loss/miniaturization is worrying me -> Hair transplant is no option if it continues like that.

Last edited: