1.5 Years Propecia, Still Seeing Shed. Advice?

will may

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm 23 years old, living in Australia and have been taking Finasteride for about 1.5 years now.

My dermatologist has prescribed me a generic brand of 5mg and has been adamant about only taking HALF a tablet twice weekly.
Does this seem strange to anyone?
It may have slowed down the shed, but it's definitely still shedding and receding.. Getting a lot of uncomfortable comments about it.
I would like to be on minoxidil but the over the counter spray just left me with insane dandruff looking/white powder in my hair. Anyone been on the tablet form? Doesn't seem to be as common.

Here's some photos from when I first started Finasteride:
File 3-05-2016, 9 20 45 AM.jpeg

and one from last week. Starting to get very fuzzy.
Photo 25-10-16, 11 08 52 pm.jpg

Would be much appreciated if anyone has any tips on who to see about getting more help, would like to know if you have had similar experiences. Thank you.

Last edited:

cyrusthegreat@hotmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
Half a tablet twice a week is a bit unusual. if he's looking to micro dose you, you should discuss the idea of mixing finasteride in alcohol and taking it daily to achieve a daily dose of 1/7 grams finasteride. I'm assuming your tablets are you 1mg each. You may want to consider just upping your dose more days in the week. Has he discussed why he wants you to dose it in this way? Is he worried about side effects? Did he perform any blood work for dht before starting you on this dose to check if its effective at lowering dht at all?

For minoxidil, you can try foam version or online purchase the liquid version without propylene glycol tof reduce the flaking.

will may

My Regimen
Reaction score
Half a tablet twice a week is a bit unusual. if he's looking to micro dose you, you should discuss the idea of mixing finasteride in alcohol and taking it daily to achieve a daily dose of 1/7 grams finasteride. I'm assuming your tablets are you 1mg each. You may want to consider just upping your dose more days in the week. Has he discussed why he wants you to dose it in this way? Is he worried about side effects? Did he perform any blood work for dht before starting you on this dose to check if its effective at lowering dht at all?

For minoxidil, you can try foam version or online purchase the liquid version without propylene glycol tof reduce the flaking.

Thanks for the response. Sorry, it is 5mg tablets. Half a tablet twice a week.
Yes I asked him, he said that any more of it won't have any effect. Something that I hadn't read anywhere before.
It's obviously very affordable so I'm not exactly complaining, just not seeing the results I thought I would. No side effects what so ever.

I'll give the foam a try. If anyone in Aus knows anything about Minoxidil tablets, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should be taking it daily. The half life of finasteride is only like 8 hours.

cyrusthegreat@hotmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
The lowest effective dose for finasteride I've seen in studies is something like 0.2mg a day. @dralex makes a good point. If you're taking finasteride once every 3 days, regardless of the dose, most of the drug is out of the body within a day and you're left defenseless, so to speak, for 2 days before the next dose.

hwezdarik

Established Member
Reaction score
Mate, just take 1/5 each day, use minoxidil ( I use lipogaine) and RU... and get a frontal hair transplant.. and live happily ever after :)

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
As others have said.. you really should be taking it daily. For me, I have never stopped shedding but the meds do work so i guess the hairs are getting replaced. It took a full 2 years for me before I realised finasteride was doing anything at all but even then it was only slowing the loss.

Only by adding other treatments in to the mix did I finally see it stop completely

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
3 years and 3 months in the big 3 I never stopped shedding. If I shed only 100 in a day then that's a very good day. Seem to go through phases with heavy (200+) or lighter (100~) a day. Gained ground strongly on the first 6 months and seem to have maintained since. But each follicle only produces so many hairs so I guess I'll burn through my lot faster than others.

will may

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I've made some changes since posting, its been just under 5 months now. I hope this can answer a few peoples questions. Current regimen:

1mg of Finasteride - Once a day
Minoxidil Foam (Kirkland) - Twice a day
Swisse Hair Supplement - Once a day
Derma Rolling - Once a week

Changes I've seen — No longer have hair falling out when I touch it, I can shower and hair remains in tact. I'm pretty comfortable to pull on it and won't have a handful of hair anymore. So my hair is definitely thicker and I'd say I noticed that within the first couple of weeks. Also not seeing any dandruff what so ever. Foam has been much better than the liquid.

I'm noticing my hairline continues to recede though, mainly in the temples and occasionally at the front. You can see that there are stray hairs that haven't fallen yet. I always see the smaller hairs grow but they never pass the baby stage and into long hair for what ever reason..

Definitely been worth making the change, if anyone has any advice on how to stop the hairline receding that would be great. I haven't really looked too far into RU. Worth adding that or perhaps a shampoo? Thank you.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair line looks the same to me. I low key don't think you even have hair loss

MacGuru

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm 23 years old, living in Australia and have been taking Finasteride for about 1.5 years now.

My dermatologist has prescribed me a generic brand of 5mg and has been adamant about only taking HALF a tablet twice weekly.
Does this seem strange to anyone?
It may have slowed down the shed, but it's definitely still shedding and receding.. Getting a lot of uncomfortable comments about it.
I would like to be on minoxidil but the over the counter spray just left me with insane dandruff looking/white powder in my hair. Anyone been on the tablet form? Doesn't seem to be as common.

Here's some photos from when I first started Propecia and one from last week. Starting to get very fuzzy.
View attachment 44926 View attachment 44927
Would be much appreciated if anyone has any tips on who to see about getting more help, would like to know if you have had similar experiences. Thank you.

Well you are always going to shed hair, regardless of whether you are taking finasteride.

When you start on finasteride you will go through an induced shed, I did, and it was in the month of March. I undergo a natural shed every two years around September, with everything balancing out around Feb the flowing year. Three years into to taking finasteride, I had a shed in March, after coming off one from the previous September. So after just getting the hair back, it was shedding again. So I was in this process for almost 9 months. Thin hair for 9 months, with the hair returning from the March shed at around late May.

The reason for this in my case, was due to fact that I now seem to have an induced hair shed cycle beyond my normal one (sept) that was caused/induced when I first started on finasteride (March) It does alter the genetic growing cycle of your hair. Or in my case it has.

I've been on finasteride now for just over six years on 1mg per day. I dropped the dose down to 1mg every two day back in Sept 2016. It slowed everything down, and its been good in that sense. It wont stop hair loss in my case, but im 42 now, with a full head, all be it a little thinner than before.

My overriding advice would be that if you have suffered from any form of gyno prior to taking finasteride, then I feel that it is bound to make it worse once you start taking it. It did in my case, and I had corrective surgery in Poland to remove the gyno.

Now I had been on finasteride, for around 3.5 years when the gyno suddenly kicked in. And it did so over one summer. Prior to that it was very mild, just a little excess fat, and not noticeable. But then the glandular tissue grew and it became very noticeable. I know some people claim that any sides will only present within the first 6 months of taking finasteride, but I disagree with that based on my own experience. I believe that they can present at any time.

The reason that I dropped the dose to 1mg every two days was because I started with sensitivity in the nipple area. Since dropping the dose that has stopped.

I think its about finding a balance and the less of two evils. For one, I don't believe gyno is ever truly eradicated by surgery, but finasteride will stimulate it. So whilst its acceptable, I will carry on with finasteride.

The thing to remember with finasteride, is that it is only ever going to buy you some time. Its a temporary fix, as are hair transplants, so take your age into consideration. Its always going to be worth at least giving it a go. 1mg per days is going to cost you around £600 per year, or £300 if you half dose. I think a good way to look at it, is that it will probably buy you back a decade of hair at the very least.

Regards

will may

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, still after some help on whether or not I could be doing anything more to help prevent further loss in my hairline.
It's definitely heading back at the same rate still, even though my hair is generally thicker, I'm still seeing it recede at a fast pace.

I know this because there are a couple single hairs a few centimetres down from where my hairline is now. Check it out:

Photo 21-5-17, 9 36 10 pm.jpg

Haha..
Any help will be very much appreciated, thank you again.

will may

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haven't tried RU yet.
If anyone has some info about how to make / locate RU in Australia that would be great.
Avodart (Dutasteride) will require another prescription and there's no way my current Dermatologist will prescribe me anything else. I told him that I started taking 1mg daily and he was still adamant that there's no need.. He's compared photos from now and when I first came to him two years ago and doesn't see a difference.. Should probably get a new Dermatologist.

Here's a photo from today compared to when I first started Finasteride. I missed a month of Minoxidil because it came so late in the post. Hairline is getting real fucked up.
Photo 4-7-17, 9 14 51 pm.jpg

And from my first days of finasteride 2 years ago. Definitely has slowed it down, I can't ask for much more.

File 3-05-2016, 9 20 45 AM.jpeg

Thank you for all the help.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair literally looks the same