1.5 years on: Still balding in front, what to do?

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
freudling said:
"Precise statistics regarding self-selecting anecdotal accounts are meaningless." This statement is a bit conflated. You are implying that all people who post here fit your quoted category, which is not true. In fact, with the current state of hair loss forums, anti-male pattern baldness regimes are well logged and are not just 'words on page': clear, digital pics spanning over months to years of treatment with detailed records of the contents of each regime.
No, you misunderstood what I said. You previously asked for precise statistics involving posters on here who reported success or lack thereof. Precise stats regarding those kinds of anecdotal reports are meaningless because the sample is not scientific, nor is it random, nor is it representative of the population at large which has tried those treatments. Nor do we know whether those users have used the treatments the recommended ways or the recommended length of times. In short, stats about anecdotal accounts are useless for drawing meaningful conclusions. I'm not saying that anecdotal accounts are useless, although they are less useful than well-conducted scientific studies. What I'm saying is that attempting to derive precise stats, such as percentages, from such accounts is a useless exercise -- it generates no useful information.

freudling said:
Moreover, you still have not answered my concerns (1) Verify your 50% statement (2) Show me 5 CP only regimes with significant results.
See above. This is precisely the sort of request that is meaningless.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
Pickart's research has shown that tin peptides actually are better regrowth agents. He uses tin peptides in his Folligen for Blondes product. However, tin peptides do nothing for skin health. He recommends the tin peptide product only if you get unacceptable staining from the regular Folligen.

Can you point me in the direction of this study? Also, if I used Folligen for Blondes, could I still use Folligen lotion on my hairline?

I'm also curious about Emu oil. Dr. Pickart mentions on his site a study from Boston University that showed 80% of dormant follicles were reactivated, or whatever. Do you know where I can read a copy of this study?

Thanks.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Temples said:
mvpsoft said:
Pickart's research has shown that tin peptides actually are better regrowth agents. He uses tin peptides in his Folligen for Blondes product. However, tin peptides do nothing for skin health. He recommends the tin peptide product only if you get unacceptable staining from the regular Folligen.

Can you point me in the direction of this study? Also, if I used Folligen for Blondes, could I still use Folligen lotion on my hairline?
If you mean the tin peptide study, I believe Pickart was referring to his own research, but I don't know. You would have to ask him. As far as using both types of Folligen, I don't see why you can't, but again, it's best to ask Pickart himself.

Temples said:
I'm also curious about Emu oil. Dr. Pickart mentions on his site a study from Boston University that showed 80% of dormant follicles were reactivated, or whatever. Do you know where I can read a copy of this study?
I sall that mention, but I'm not familiar with the study. You could email Skin Biology and ask them, they're good about replying to emails.

freudling

Reaction score
mvp: you like that word useless: redundant. I am going to end it here, because your statements are muttled.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You're right, mvp. I should have just e-mailed SkinBiology.com. I was just curious if you knew anything about those studies.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
freudling said:
I see some other posters out there claiming success, although much less of them than the non-responders.
This can be said about Propecia too. Everyone knows that its the non responders who speak up the loudest. More people complain about Propecia than praise it. Using this logic, Propecia is ineffective. This is why we don't base gospel truth on anonymous forum posts. Its completely illogical. We base it on the data, if there is some.

freudling said:
In my case, Copper Peptides did absolutely nothing.
This is a fair statement to make. Buts that's really as far as you can go with it.

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
You previously asked for precise statistics involving posters on here who reported success or lack thereof. Precise stats regarding those kinds of anecdotal reports are meaningless because the sample is not scientific, nor is it random, nor is it representative of the population at large which has tried those treatments. Nor do we know whether those users have used the treatments the recommended ways or the recommended length of times. In short, stats about anecdotal accounts are useless for drawing meaningful conclusions.
I couldn't have said it better myself. This has been the age old logic used by armchair scientists. Somewhere along the line someone decided that anonymous online posts equate to controlled studies. The innacuracy of this is monumental. Just to *qualify* for a hair loss study is difficult, if not impossible, simply because of the requirements for inclusion. Type of loss, area of loss, extent of loss, current products being used, products used in the last 12 months, etc. etc. etc. Thats just to gain entrance! This doesn't include the minimum 12 months of duration, and preferred 24 months duration of using one, and ONLY one product. This doesn't include baseline photographs and baseline HAIR COUNTS in a specific area of the head which are monitored on a monthly basis for change by an external source. It goes on and on.

Scientists and researchers don't go to this detail just because they love to do extra work. They realized there are so many variables that come into play, that they simply could NOT make a claim about a product without documenting all of these things. And neither can we. Surely not from anonymous posters online.

Taking pictures with a disposable or even digital camera held at arms length in the bathroom mirror are good for overal visual assessment of long term change or maintenance, but there is too much information missing to take that photo and assign it to a specific product. Sure, we can make some assumptions. We can make some general assessments based on what the person says. If we couldn't these forums would be useless. But I don't think anyone can take a tested product like Copper Peptides and make a contradictory global claim that they "dont work" and use anonymous online forum posts as his evidence.

That's like telling Christopher Columbus that the earth is flat because you're still in England and you still see that the earth ends at the horizon.

Add into the equation the fact that hair counts go up and down on their own with the various hair cycles, completely void of any treatments, and you realize why forum pictures arent foolproof.

Taking this a step further ... Freud ... you've implied that you've seen "more people NOT have results with copper peptides". And then you stated that people on forums today are documenting things in a very detailed manner with digital images. Exactly how many of the copper peptide users with zero results were only using Tricomin and nothing else, for at least 12 to 24 months, and took highly focused detailed digital images on a 3 to 6 month basis? Zero? How many of them were just text feedback from someone you dont know nor met and were probably using other products? 95%? How many had blurry photos taken in the bathroom mirror? Probably the other 5%.

Your point is well taken, but detailed tracking is rare on hair loss forums. Even if it were common, researchers have already well established that there need to be controls put into place to override any doubt that the many variables bring into the equation. We cant just ignore those and imply that pictures are sufficient.

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
test

freudling

Reaction score
Thanks for the research lecture, like we didn't already consider and have knowledge of what you said. Anyone who wastes that much time writing general knowledge stuff is a waste.

Oh and:

" they "dont work" and use anonymous online forum posts as his evidence"

I used myself as a test pilot, too, but you knew that. Again, they did NOTHING for me, like so many other posters.

Also, you are not the only game in town, HairLossTalk.com: HLH has many good profiles.

I have already asked: show me one person with pics on a Copper Peptide only regime.

Enough logic and Research lessons, go get me evidence, besides the study, that CP work. If you can't or don't want to, just don't continue with more Lectures professor. I will get you stats, but not from this hair loss site.

Further, there IS recognized validity with case studies. And with hair loss, if it is male pattern baldness, there are not that many variables to consider. The main one is drugs that maybe causing it, like accutane. But you knew that.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Later.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a douche bag button on here? I find myself looking for it occassionally because I feel I must have pressed it for the onslaught of douchey-freshness that I read from some users. It's my fault not yours, freudling. People are trying to help clarify, you react in a douche manner, but you can't help it. One of us pressed the douche button. I suspect Tynan. He pressed it, invoked the four winds of douche, and bam, you post a response. Magic really.

freudling

Reaction score
DarklyCharming: thanks for the description - coming from a flake it means nothing. Ah, DarklyCharming, the life of a balding quack. Do you talk to your clients that way? Psych from California, eh. If I get your IP address, I can pinpoint your location and perhaps give out copies of your words to your "quacked out colleagues; clients; family; and friends."

I am waiting for someone to show me a CP regime only with positive regrowth results, besides those in the study.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why do you post here?

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Pirate Commander F.B. said:
All we are is leaves that fall.

and dust in the wind...