0.5mg Or 1mg Dilema Topical And Oral Finasteride

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would prefer someone to choose minoxidilmax , don’t know morrf from eBay maybe have more scammers ..

Freshie1997

My Regimen
Reaction score
OP, ignore the idea that topical is no more effective than oral especially when taking both. You should keeo doing what you are doing.

It's true that finasteride has a very flat dose response curve with SERUM DHT but local DHT is a totally different story. Plus it's the tissue DHT that really matters, as DHT is highly autocrine/paracrine, meaning it's made where it's used. It also boils down to simple math: finasteride just like any drug has to reach a certain concentration to start working, and in our case on a highly localized hormone. How much more finasteride do you think is actually reaching your scalp after being killed by half by the liver through the oral pathway, and spreading evenly through your entire system, versus directly reaching follicles through scalp?

And of course, there is a reason why oral is the regular route of administration. It makes for a more stablized hormonal environment systemically. Therefore, a lower dose oral plus topical makes sense in my opinion.

I can say for a certainty that my scalp felt better on 0.25mg oral + 0.25mg topical than on 0.5mg oral.

Where did you get your minoxidil with topical finasteride though? I used to use promox but they are permanently closed now.
Appreciate your input and you’re like the 4th person who tells me to carry on, 6 month is deffo to early to conclude anything especially if I’ve added oral only a month ago... but yeah will deffo stick to the routine for at least ) months
Yeah I use the minoxidil max topical finasteride however I’m thinking of switching to morr F but I’m scared of the scammers since it’s eBay.

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Appreciate your input and you’re like the 4th person who tells me to carry on, 6 month is deffo to early to conclude anything especially if I’ve added oral only a month ago... but yeah will deffo stick to the routine for at least ) months
Yeah I use the minoxidil max topical finasteride however I’m thinking of switching to morr F but I’m scared of the scammers since it’s eBay.
Since you order is the product good ? What’s your experience? And why thinking to change to Morr-f isn’t the same thing(or because is more cheap?) ?

Last edited:

Freshie1997

My Regimen
Reaction score
Since you order is the product good ? What’s your experience? And why thinking to change to Morr-f isn’t the same thing(or because is more cheap?) ?
Never had a problem with it tbf, easy application dries fast but it’s so expensive, £35 per bottle whereas morr f I £15

Incinerate

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No difference. 0.5mg will block your 5ar & DHT as much as 1mg. And topical finasteride won't do jack sh*t if you are already using oral.

View attachment 124212

Stick to it. Antiandrogens (and minoxidil) are not going to magically regrowth all your hair overnight. 6 months is nothing.

That's a very bad interpretation of this graph. Finasteride half life time is 6 hours. Meaning 1mg is way more efficient at blocking DHT (and not 5AR) than 0.5 mg over a period of 24 hours

Freshie1997

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's a very bad interpretation of this graph. Finasteride half life time is 6 hours. Meaning 1mg is way more efficient at blocking DHT (and not 5AR) than 0.5 mg over a period of 24 hours
Guys any response to this statement?

And what are your suggestions?

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Strange thing happened to me the last couple of days. I started taking st John's wort and all my finasteride sides seemed to disappear. I also took some niacin though.

Freshie1997

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cool regardless of what you said, many people on here have suggested to stick to 0.5mg of topical and oral finasteride so I will do so for a least 6 months

Thank you guys

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Correct me if I'm wrong but finasteride blocks dht by binding to 5ar, thus preventing 5ar from converting testosterone to dihydrotestosterone.

I'm confused how finasteride in any amount blocks dht and not 5ar.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
B
Its literally impossible to say if switching from 0.5 oral + topical to 1mg oral would be better. It would likely be marginally better however the side profile isn't worth the change if you're not actively losing hair noticeably month over month. 1mg finasteride my sides are pretty bad (dead libido, dead dick) whilst 0.5mg whilst my libido still isn't good i have full function of my dick. I would stay on 0.5mg oral + topical where you need it and re-evaluate in 6 months.

But will .5 finasteride be alright for your hair? I read on William Rassman's Balding Blog that a half mg is about 80% as effective as 1 mg.

djhype

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Start low, then move up if sides are okay. There is no harm in this and quite frankly it would be stupid not to.

Freshie1997

My Regimen
Reaction score
Start low, then move up if sides are okay. There is no harm in this and quite frankly it would be stupid not to.
How slow are we talking about
I tried 1mg oral and did not have sides but I rather be on the safe side when it comes to taking finasteride as I’m scared about the long term effects of taking 1mg, additionally shouldn’t 0.5 oral +0.5 mg topical be just as effective

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How slow are we talking about
I tried 1mg oral and did not have sides but I rather be on the safe side when it comes to taking finasteride as I’m scared about the long term effects of taking 1mg, additionally shouldn’t 0.5 oral +0.5 mg topical be just as effective

I'm having trouble posting a link, but I googled the effect of finasteride on dht in scalp skin. The study I found from 1999 had no results for .5 mg, but .2 reduced dht in scalp skin by 56% and 1 mg reduced it by 64%. You've got to figure that .5 would be somewhere in between, say around 60%.
I don't think there is a problem with taking .5 daily. If you're happy with your current routine, keep at it.

Freshie1997

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm having trouble posting a link, but I googled the effect of finasteride on dht in scalp skin. The study I found from 1999 had no results for .5 mg, but .2 reduced dht in scalp skin by 56% and 1 mg reduced it by 64%. You've got to figure that .5 would be somewhere in between, say around 60%.
I don't think there is a problem with taking .5 daily. If you're happy with your current routine, keep at it.

I can say I’m happy with it since I’ve been on oral for just over a month, I’m gonna have to stick to it for at least 6 months to evaluate if it’s effective

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can say I’m happy with it since I’ve been on oral for just over a month, I’m gonna have to stick to it for at least 6 months to evaluate if it’s effective

Good luck. Let me know how things turn out. I'm considering switching to a half mg.

djhype

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i would start at .25 eod or even the topical solution for a month and then move up.

There is NOTHING to lose by starting this way. You probably won't gain much, but imagine growing tits and losing your dick for the rest of your life, it may be rare but get your body acclimated to the change and you have the best chance of not experiencing sides... like any other med.

Freshie1997

My Regimen
Reaction score
i would start at .25 eod or even the topical solution for a month and then move up.

There is NOTHING to lose by starting this way. You probably won't gain much, but imagine growing tits and losing your dick for the rest of your life, it may be rare but get your body acclimated to the change and you have the best chance of not experiencing sides... like any other med.
Hahah that’s true, But there always this thoygh of it not working and me losing group, but as I mentioned before, only few hairs fall out during the day, maybe 10-20 idk do t really count, since I started using the topical, went through the normal shedding phase and stuff

That fear is always there that I might lose ground or not get the full potential of finasteride, currently hair loss is not really visible until I actually pull my hair to the side, I just want to keep it that way, maybe a bit of thickening but that’s it, that fear is making me worried. But as people here mentioned, I have to stick to Oral for at least 6 months if. If I don’t lose any hair like I’ll be happy with that.

megadyptes

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys any response to this statement?

And what are your suggestions?

Taking 1mg vs 0.5mg doesn't mean that effacacy s cut in half. Difference is minimal between .5 and 1mg. Doesn't really matter. I do 1mg then 2 days .5mg and repeat.

"Scalp skin DHT levels declined significantly by 13.0% with placebo and by 14.9%, 61.6%, 56. 5%, 64.1%, and 69.4% with 0.01, 0.05, 0.2, 1, and 5 mg doses of finasteride, respectively. Serum DHT levels declined significantly (P <.001) by 49.5%, 68.6%, 71.4%, and 72.2% in the 0.05, 0.2, 1, and 5 mg finasteride treatment groups, respectively."

also scalp and serum seem to inhibit dht kind of the same amount.

just go with .5mg to be safe if you want. i don't see a problem with it.

Last edited:

Freshie1997

My Regimen
Reaction score
Taking 1mg vs 0.5mg doesn't mean that hal-life is cut in half. Difference is minimal between .5 and 1mg. Doesn't really matter. I do 1mg then 2 days .5mg and repeat.

"Scalp skin DHT levels declined significantly by 13.0% with placebo and by 14.9%, 61.6%, 56. 5%, 64.1%, and 69.4% with 0.01, 0.05, 0.2, 1, and 5 mg doses of finasteride, respectively. Serum DHT levels declined significantly (P <.001) by 49.5%, 68.6%, 71.4%, and 72.2% in the 0.05, 0.2, 1, and 5 mg finasteride treatment groups, respectively."

also scalp and serum seem to inhibit dht kind of the same amount.

just go with .5mg to be safe if you want. i don't see a problem with it.
Thanks for the input man, technically I’m on 1mg since I use 0.5 topical and 0.5 oral