0.5mg Or 1mg Dilema Topical And Oral Finasteride

Freshie1997

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I’ve been using topical finasteride with minoxidil on my hair for the past 6 months, can’t say I’ve regrew any hair or st least I’ve not notice anything but my hair feels healthier and my hairline has not changed since. However due to costs and impatience I’ve switched to 0.5 oral finasteride with the addition of topical finasteride
My new routine consists of:
1ml of 0.5mg topical finasteride combined with 6% minoxidil in the morning and a 0.5mg of oral finasteride
Before I go to sleep i apply 1ml of minoxidil of my hair
I have had no sides so far

My question is: would changing my
Routine to
1mg of oral finasteride instead of 0.5 oral and 0.5 topical be more effective at maintaining/regrowing hair or should I just stick to my current routine for another 6 months and then decide
I know I’m really impatient but I really wanna hear your opinition on this matter

Hope I explained it well enough
Thanks guys

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I’ve been using topical finasteride with minoxidil on my hair for the past 6 months, can’t say I’ve regrew any hair or st least I’ve not notice anything but my hair feels healthier and my hairline has not changed since. However due to costs and impatience I’ve switched to 0.5 oral finasteride with the addition of topical finasteride
My new routine consists of:
1ml of 0.5mg topical finasteride combined with 6% minoxidil in the morning and a 0.5mg of oral finasteride
Before I go to sleep i apply 1ml of minoxidil of my hair
I have had no sides so far

My question is: would changing my
Routine to
1mg of oral finasteride instead of 0.5 oral and 0.5 topical be more effective at maintaining/regrowing hair or should I just stick to my current routine for another 6 months and then decide
I know I’m really impatient but I really wanna hear your opinition on this matter

Hope I explained it well enough
Thanks guys

No difference. 0.5mg will block your 5ar & DHT as much as 1mg. And topical finasteride won't do jack sh*t if you are already using oral.

propecia-dht-inhibition-curve.jpg

Stick to it. Antiandrogens (and minoxidil) are not going to magically regrowth all your hair overnight. 6 months is nothing.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
No difference. 0.5mg will block your 5ar & DHT as much as 1mg. And topical finasteride won't do jack sh*t if you are already using oral.

View attachment 124212

Stick to it. Antiandrogens (and minoxidil) are not going to magically regrowth all your hair overnight. 6 months is nothing.

Thats only serum DHT dude. Localised conversion of DHT isn't the same . I cant be bothered to find the papers but i remember to inhibit the same amount of 5ar in the hair follicle as the prostate (1mg finasteride) you'd need to take 50mg of finasteride .

Reactions: WMQ

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thats only serum DHT dude. Localised conversion of DHT isn't the same . I cant be bothered to find the papers but i remember to inhibit the same amount of 5ar in the hair follicle as the prostate (1mg finasteride) you'd need to take 50mg of finasteride .

I'm not a big believer in topical but nonetheless would like to see studies. If you need to use topical daily go with CB or RU and take oral finasteride.

INT

Reaction score

View attachment 124212

The flat response curve only applies to DHT levels. We don't know the response progression of 5 AR.

Freshie1997

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you suggesting to jump on 1mg instead of 0.5mg oral and 0.5mg topical?

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its literally impossible to say if switching from 0.5 oral + topical to 1mg oral would be better. It would likely be marginally better however the side profile isn't worth the change if you're not actively losing hair noticeably month over month. 1mg finasteride my sides are pretty bad (dead libido, dead dick) whilst 0.5mg whilst my libido still isn't good i have full function of my dick. I would stay on 0.5mg oral + topical where you need it and re-evaluate in 6 months.

Freshie1997

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its literally impossible to say if switching from 0.5 oral + topical to 1mg oral would be better. It would likely be marginally better however the side profile isn't worth the change if you're not actively losing hair noticeably month over month. 1mg finasteride my sides are pretty bad (dead libido, dead dick) whilst 0.5mg whilst my libido still isn't good i have full function of my dick. I would stay on 0.5mg oral + topical where you need it and re-evaluate in 6 months.
That’s perfect thank you for the opinion, I do lose hair some hair when applying minoxidil or when playing with my hair for too long but it’s only a few hairs not in the 10s or hundreds but I guess that’s normal
don’t really see it on my hands anymore as I did before starting the treatment
And it’s quite weird the only hairs I actually do see are the minatirized ones, the long terminal hairs do not fall out anymore

I’m just scared that the routine won’t work but as you said I just have to give it 6 months and decide whether it’s working or not then make a decision

Freshie1997

My Regimen
Reaction score
Btw tried taking 1mg for 3 days didn’t have any sides but also didn’t wanna risk it seeing that my current routine was working, at least I think it’s working so far

Freshie1997

My Regimen
Reaction score
How was your hair loss while on topical finasteride?
Fine went through the initial shedding phase and my hair loss reduced, in all fairness I never shredded huge amount, as in in the hundreds but I don’t really see much hair loss in the shower maybe like 5 hairs, same when applying minoxidil but I guess that’s just normal
Jumped on 0.5mg of finasteride because it’s a safer bet on getting regrowth/thickening

How about you, are you on 1mg finasteride or 0.5mg?

smtbbcn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Fine went through the initial shedding phase and my hair loss reduced, in all fairness I never shredded huge amount, as in in the hundreds but I don’t really see much hair loss in the shower maybe like 5 hairs, same when applying minoxidil but I guess that’s just normal
Jumped on 0.5mg of finasteride because it’s a safer bet on getting regrowth/thickening

How about you, are you on 1mg finasteride or 0.5mg?

Same as you, but i use %0.1 finasteride solution with %5 minoxidil (homemade) frontal area thicker than before, 5 to 10 hair fall a day. Overall im happy with it. No side effects like oral finasteride.

Freshie1997

My Regimen
Reaction score
Same as you, but i use %0.1 finasteride solution with %5 minoxidil (homemade) frontal area thicker than before, 5 to 10 hair fall a day. Overall im happy with it. No side effects like oral finasteride.
Pumping topical to 1mg might be a solution tbf, how long have you been on oral for?

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
OP, ignore the idea that topical is no more effective than oral especially when taking both. You should keeo doing what you are doing.

It's true that finasteride has a very flat dose response curve with SERUM DHT but local DHT is a totally different story. Plus it's the tissue DHT that really matters, as DHT is highly autocrine/paracrine, meaning it's made where it's used. It also boils down to simple math: finasteride just like any drug has to reach a certain concentration to start working, and in our case on a highly localized hormone. How much more finasteride do you think is actually reaching your scalp after being killed by half by the liver through the oral pathway, and spreading evenly through your entire system, versus directly reaching follicles through scalp?

And of course, there is a reason why oral is the regular route of administration. It makes for a more stablized hormonal environment systemically. Therefore, a lower dose oral plus topical makes sense in my opinion.

I can say for a certainty that my scalp felt better on 0.25mg oral + 0.25mg topical than on 0.5mg oral.

Where did you get your minoxidil with topical finasteride though? I used to use promox but they are permanently closed now.

GRme11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidilmax.com has topical finasteride mixed with minoxidil , but does not send inside US

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidilmax.com has topical finasteride mixed with minoxidil , but does not send inside US
Yes MinixidilMax has it..up to 15% min with 1mg finasteride. Also you can get Morr f with .5%finasteride and either 5% min or 10% min. I have bought and tried all of them...I've experienced a few sides but it is unique to me as I didnt have them before. It seems I'm waayyy more sensitive to hair meds since coming off ssri's..go figure.
Anyway I recently got a prescription at an Italian pharmacy for 2.5% finasteride and 5% min combined in a liposomal lotion. It will be interesting as I will for sure be able to tell if the liposomes work because right now I'm super sensitive to minoxidil and finasteride.