0.5mg or 0.25mg only TWICE a week.

G

Ok. Lets go by theory here.

It takes enzyme at least a week to reproduce DHT from ceasation of finasteride.

Lets say you stop finasteride on Day 1... Day 7 your body is producing 100% DHT.

So Day 1 = Body DHT = 10%
And Day 7 = Body DHT = 100%

Throw a pill in the middle, and on Day 7, DHT is something like 50%.

It's not as effective as taking the pill every day, but for people like me who have bad sides to finasteride (mostly BAD ACNE and enlarged nipples), it's a way to at least lower your DHT without getting the sides.

Ontop of that, seeing as 0.5mg and 0.25mg is almost as effective as 1mg, it could also be another step taken in reducing finasteride dosage.

I wonder if this is acceptable to at least maintain what you have by internal means, while trying to experiment and regrow topically.

G

OR MAY I ALSO ADD.

You could try...

Monday - 0.25mg
Wednesday - 0.25mg
Friday - 0.25mg

Question is, will that maintain your hair.

Jm0311

Reaction score
thats something i would like to do......but i have heard alot of bad and unexplained things about finasteride

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
CrazyArab said:
OR MAY I ALSO ADD.

You could try...

Monday - 0.25mg
Wednesday - 0.25mg
Friday - 0.25mg

Question is, will that maintain your hair.

Probably not.

G

I can't see why not though. It's not giving your body a chance to start producing DHT again.

jh

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think one small dose of finasteride has the same immediate effect upon DHT levels as a larger dose. Small doses (.5, .25mg) only showed similar effects when taken daily.

G

jholbrook said:
I don't think one small dose of finasteride has the same immediate effect upon DHT levels as a larger dose. Small doses (.5, .25mg) only showed similar effects when taken daily.

If you respond to finasteride at 0.25mg you will respond the same at 1mg. Once you reach the therapeutic level the response curve to dosage is pretty much flat. The therapeutic level in one individual may be 0.2mg while in another it is 0.35mg. If you look at the studies that's posted on the HairLossTalk.com home page under the finasteride section you will see that the actual results showed 0.25mg overall being about 90% as effective as 1mg.

Read the pharmacology data on finasteride. The half-life if the drug is rather short but "The turnover for the enzyme complex is slow (t ½ approximately 30 days for the Type II enzyme complex and 14 days for the Type I complex)." from: http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic3/propecia_cp.htm

Some doctors will prescibe the pill to be used EOD. I'm using 0.25mg EOD myself because I don't have an open fund at my disposal. Plus it's apparently not necessary to achieve "almost as good" results. If I was looking for ultimate results I'd be taking my chances on dutas anyways.

Oh and twice a week might be stretching it. What's the point of doing simply M-W-F too? Whynot just do EOD as in M-W-F-Su-T-Th-Sa.....? 0.25mg EOD is next-to nothing in costs too.

G

Because of sides! I got really bad ACNE across the forehead and cheeks which Im now on 200mg of Minomycine a day to counter.

Ive stopped finasteride.. I want to restart, but minimal. I just want to halt my hair loss, enough to regrow topically.

jh

Established Member
Reaction score
FairTaxNow said:
If you respond to finasteride at 0.25mg you will respond the same at 1mg. Once you reach the therapeutic level the response curve to dosage is pretty much flat. The therapeutic level in one individual may be 0.2mg while in another it is 0.35mg. If you look at the studies that's posted on the HairLossTalk.com home page under the finasteride section you will see that the actual results showed 0.25mg overall being about 90% as effective as 1mg.

Right, but that's when it was taken every day.

I guess I wasn't clear here. The assumption CrazyArab made was that .25 mg would inhibit the same amount of DHT in a single dose as 1 mg. This isn't the case. However "There is a slow accumulation phase for finasteride after multiple dosing." There also seems to be an upper limit on the amount of DHT that can be inhibited; 5 mg isn't 5 times more effective than 1 mg, right? So taking small doses (.5,.25mg) regularly gets you pretty close to the effects of the larger doses when taken daily over a period of time.

There is also a point reached when lowering doses of finasteride when it does significantly less for hair loss. I believe the number is about .1mg/day.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
jholbrook said:
There also seems to be an upper limit on the amount of DHT that can be inhibited;

Not really. Unless you want to say that the "upper limit" is 100%.

Bryan

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well none of us are reserchers.. it could work.. you could try it out and see if it gives any effect after a year... would recomend taking pictures to document it.
and who knows.. maibe you can lean youre body into tolorating higher doses after a while, with slowly upping the finasteride dosage buy more days or higher mg.
Good luck

jh

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
jholbrook said:
There also seems to be an upper limit on the amount of DHT that can be inhibited;

Not really. Unless you want to say that the "upper limit" is 100%.

Bryan

Fair enough.

Again, I probably should have been more clear. My point is that there is a point of diminishing returns specifically with finasteride; there isn't a linear relationship between dose and DHT inhibition. Instead, the relationship follows a parabolic curve. Beyond a certain point, you have to take a huge amount more finasteride for a small reduction in serum DHT - I would be surprised if 100% inhibition was even possible with finasteride.

The original underlying assumption on this thread presupposes that dht inhibition of one single dose of .25 mg finasteride is the almost the same as several doses at 1 mg. I don't think this is the case. Rather, my understanding is that if you took 1 mg over a few weeks and .25 mg over a few weeks, due to accumulation, the results would be fairly similar. But I may be mistaken.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
jholbrook said:
Again, I probably should have been more clear. My point is that there is a point of diminishing returns specifically with finasteride; there isn't a linear relationship between dose and DHT inhibition. Instead, the relationship follows a parabolic curve.

Probably a better way to put it is that as you take more and more finasteride, DHT reduction asymptotically approaches 100%.

Bryan

abcdefg

Reaction score
See I dont think anyone can say because I still dont think science knows the daily double answer why does DHT make our hair miniturize? Yes it triggers the binding and foreign object blah blah, but they dont know all the details it must be much much more complex then that with many many factors involved. I venture to guess science has a long way to go on the super complex signaling pathways if that even contains an answer. The fun with science is it can take you 15 years in the wrong direction theres no signs.