0,5 mg propecia vs 1 mg

Reaction score
I come from an spanish forum where some have tried finasteride on many different doses. Most on 0.5 mg instead of 1 mg say it works just the same, but the same goes for the side effects...

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
I come from an spanish forum where some have tried finasteride on many different doses. Most on 0.5 mg instead of 1 mg say it works just the same, but the same goes for the side effects...

Finasteride is not a highly reliable treatment, and with these unnecessary experiments, you make it even less effective. Remember that in a certain percentage of males, it works almost the same like dutasteride. These are those "lucky" guys, who can allow the low dosing. But in others, it almost doesn't work at all.

The obsession about all those imaginary "side effects" (occuring in 2-3% people) is already disgusting.

Reaction score
But there are papers around there saying that doses as low as 0.5 (or even lower if I remember correctly) reduce DHT almost as 5 whole milligrams anyway.

You're right about the sides effects paranoia though, it's almost pathetic.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
But there are papers around there saying that doses as low as 0.5 (or even lower if I remember correctly) reduce DHT almost as 5 whole milligrams anyway.

You're right about the sides effects paranoia though, it's almost pathetic.

Yes. But why to risk failure? Or does your hairloss proceed slowly?

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if you want to save money, take 0.5mg or smaller...but I took 0.5mg for a week due to sides but well..I am back on 1mg now!

thiswomps

Reaction score
Finasteride is not a highly reliable treatment, and with these unnecessary experiments, you make it even less effective. Remember that in a certain percentage of males, it works almost the same like dutasteride. These are those "lucky" guys, who can allow the low dosing. But in others, it almost doesn't work at all.

The obsession about all those imaginary "side effects" (occuring in 2-3% people) is already disgusting.

just to chime in here, finasteride makes me extremely tired, so i decided to lower to 0.5 mg. i experience no other sides except being tired, but after lowering to 0.5 i noticed i was still getting tired as hell, it wasn't worth it. It sucks because I actually was getting regrowth very quickly, I don't know if I'm a good responder or what but the stuff works for me, but anyways, since I am highly unmotivated to do anything when I'm on finasteride everyday I decided t to this, and this is probably going highly against the norm, I've decided to go on 0.5 mg TWICE a week. Since doing so my hair has not receded any longer and I actually seem to still be filling in with regrowth on my temples. Now, its too early to tell if it will continue to work for me this way, but I've had slow recession for a long time, and I decided trying it like this would be worth the risk. I'm doing fine, and the sides, for a lot of people, are not imaginary.

So, honestly - people are basically clueless about hair loss OP, try what you think is right without risking your health. Nobody can give you a definitive answer, and it will rely highly on trial and error on your part to find whats optimal for you. People will tell me that such low dosage of finasteride won't do anything, people will say 1mg is the only thing that gonna work, people like to talk but in the end we're all clueless to your bodies needs, so try it out if you feel you need to.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
just to chime in here, finasteride makes me extremely tired, so i decided to lower to 0.5 mg. i experience no other sides except being tired, but after lowering to 0.5 i noticed i was still getting tired as hell, it wasn't worth it. It sucks because I actually was getting regrowth very quickly, I don't know if I'm a good responder or what but the stuff works for me, but anyways, since I am highly unmotivated to do anything when I'm on finasteride everyday I decided t to this, and this is probably going highly against the norm, I've decided to go on 0.5 mg TWICE a week. Since doing so my hair has not receded any longer and I actually seem to still be filling in with regrowth on my temples. Now, its too early to tell if it will continue to work for me this way, but I've had slow recession for a long time, and I decided trying it like this would be worth the risk. I'm doing fine, and the sides, for a lot of people, are not imaginary.

So, honestly - people are basically clueless about hair loss OP, try what you think is right without risking your health. Nobody can give you a definitive answer, and it will rely highly on trial and error on your part to find whats optimal for you. People will tell me that such low dosage of finasteride won't do anything, people will say 1mg is the only thing that gonna work, people like to talk but in the end we're all clueless to your bodies needs, so try it out if you feel you need to.

I think that you risk the loss of your hair because of sides that may be completely imaginary, or have nothing to do with finasteride at all. The results of your steps will manifest as late as within 2-3 months, which is the average length of the telogen phase.

thiswomps

Reaction score
I think that you risk the loss of your hair because of sides that may be completely imaginary, or have nothing to do with finasteride at all. The results of your steps will manifest as late as within 2-3 months, which is the average length of the telogen phase.

They may also not be. The word "imaginary" is thrown around way too often here. Isn't it completely possible that some people want finasteride to work so badly that they even imagine the sides to be normal? And also, I tested it myself. I went 1 month on finasteride, felt very very tired for the last 2 weeks, went off of finasteride for a week to see how I felt, everything went back to normal - the day I popped another finasteride pill it was like someone threw a 50 lb backpack on me. It hit me like a ton of bricks, and still I was not convinced, so I continued taking it at .5 mg for a week. Same thing. So incredibly tired and my brain just didn't wanna work like it usually did. Came off of it again and a few days went by, everything is back to normal. I feel so much better without it. Trial and error. I was completely open to finasteride knowing the sides and read up well on it. I experience no notable sides other then extreme lethargy.

Right now I'm using S5 cream, doing well on that, minoxidil - doing well on it. Nizoral. Maintaining just fine.

Trying to ease my way onto finasteride twice a week. I'm a believer in dosages lower then normal when on finasteride - but of course this is dependent on the severity of your hair loss. I think for me it will work well. Only time will tell though, you may be right.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
other than money saving reasons, I can't really see much point in taking 0.5mg as it's highly unlikely to lessen side effects, if you're already experiencing side effects

the dose response curve for Finasteride is almost flat when it reaches 0.5 and above.

thiswomps

Reaction score
What if 0.5 is contributing to regrowth and maintenance? seems like the obvious choice if its working on a lower dosage. Of course, sides are a different story though, gonna see how it goes for me regardless though.

Walterios

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am personally taking .5mg and have been for 4 months with amazing results, and I do not think it would've been better if I took 1mg. But everyone is different too.
pro15.png

Last edited:

reyl

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

This just isn't true, see the Japanese study on 0.2mg daily versus 1mg, the hair count was nearly identical:
texte_alt_504atl-jpg.jpg

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15319158

That is because finasteride has an accumulating effect, so some people can microdose effectively I think.