0.5 Mg Propecia For Two Weeks - Should I Increase The Dose?

himynameisj

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok so the initial plan was to make a transition to 1 mg by taking 0.5 mg to help my body adapt. So far I’ve got no problems, I think the miniaturized hairs on my hairline starting to thicken, but can’t say for sure because it’s not a long time since I take finasteride. What I wanted to ask is if I should switch to 1 mg now or just leave it as it is like the old saying if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I use a knife to cut the pills but I can barely cut them in equal halves so last night I got pissed off and took both those ugly cut halves of finasteride lol.

What’s your opinion?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
The action of finasteride is pretty linear, 0.5mg inhibits pretty much the same amount of DHT as 1mg, i don't think you will see any benefit increasing to 1mg, if you are side effect free at 0.5mg you will be side effect free at 1mg. You are cutting costs by using 0.5mg though.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wait two weeks, then go up to 1mg every other day, and 1/2 mg every other day. Then go to full 1 mg a month later every day.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Two weeks is nothing. You’ve had suppressed 5ar for 2 weeks. Stick to the 0.5mg dose for 4-5 months before making the decision to change .

Also your hair hasn’t started to thicken yet. More often than not you get a big shed before you get better.

I had sides on 1mg and have had to taper down. As I said wait 4-5 months before changing dose as sides tend to creep on slowly for a lot of people.

himynameisj

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Two weeks is nothing. You’ve had suppressed 5ar for 2 weeks. Stick to the 0.5mg dose for 4-5 months before making the decision to change .

Also your hair hasn’t started to thicken yet. More often than not you get a big shed before you get better.

I had sides on 1mg and have had to taper down. As I said wait 4-5 months before changing dose as sides tend to creep on slowly for a lot of people.
I already started to take 1 mg for a couple of days.... should I stick to that or go back to 0.5 mg and wait a few months like you said?

Rudi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I already started to take 1 mg for a couple of days.... should I stick to that or go back to 0.5 mg and wait a few months like you said?

Just an advice..use Proscar and divide by 4 or 5...you save significant cash

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The action of finasteride is pretty linear, 0.5mg inhibits pretty much the same amount of DHT as 1mg, i don't think you will see any benefit increasing to 1mg, if you are side effect free at 0.5mg you will be side effect free at 1mg. You are cutting costs by using 0.5mg though.

if 0.25 mg does the EXACT same things that 1 mg.. why are 95 % of finasteride users on here doing 1mg daily and not 0.25 mg.. it would costs them 4 x less.. ?

Nimatus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was taking 0.50 a day, or at least 5mg over 10 days. Hard to equally cut them, but average 0.5 a day for several months. I then started to cut into quarters and within a few days I had blood in semen. That was scary, so quit for two weeks, everything cleared up. I then tried again with quarters and same thing happened. I'm down taking less that 0.50 a day just to be safe. I basically cut a tiny part off of a 5mg tablet. One tablet could last be 14-17 days.

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
I was taking 0.50 a day, or at least 5mg over 10 days. Hard to equally cut them, but average 0.5 a day for several months. I then started to cut into quarters and within a few days I had blood in semen. That was scary, so quit for two weeks, everything cleared up. I then tried again with quarters and same thing happened. I'm down taking less that 0.50 a day just to be safe. I basically cut a tiny part off of a 5mg tablet. One tablet could last be 14-17 days.
I don't recall blood being a side effect in the Merk
Studies. Are you sure it was blood and not just dark semen? Maybe you have something else going on and need to get checked

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You want to taper up to a higher dose, the worst sides happen in the first month. That's why you wait two more weeks, maybe even a month more.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score

Stick with 0.5mg for a few months like i said. It can take a long time for sides to creep on and if they do you'll be glad you didn't jump on the full dose. As for the doses being identically effective this isn't true. Yes certain studies show this to be the case but im sure there are other potential underlying mechanisms that don't sit as clear cut as this.

I responded very well to 1mg and started growing back a lot of hair but after a few months i couldn't deal with the increasing sides. I tapered down to 0.25mg and whilst the sides greatly reduced, i lost a lot of the gained hair.

As i said.. 0.5mg for a few months. Re-evaluate.

himynameisj

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stick with 0.5mg for a few months like i said. It can take a long time for sides to creep on and if they do you'll be glad you didn't jump on the full dose. As for the doses being identically effective this isn't true. Yes certain studies show this to be the case but im sure there are other potential underlying mechanisms that don't sit as clear cut as this.

I responded very well to 1mg and started growing back a lot of hair but after a few months i couldn't deal with the increasing sides. I tapered down to 0.25mg and whilst the sides greatly reduced, i lost a lot of the gained hair.

As i said.. 0.5mg for a few months. Re-evaluate.
Eh, went on and took the full 1 mg for a week now. Gonna see what happens, if I get sides I’ll cut down to 0.5 again. But hopefully I won’t.