0.5 finasteride per day or 1mg every other day?

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would like information on which strategy is better, according to results and side effects, from people they know. I have been taking finasteride for one year now (1mg per day) but I am going to reduce it, due to small side effects (foggy mind). I have perfect maintenance, so if I see that by reducing I have further loss, I will get back to it. Thanks

maximiliandreams

Established Member
Reaction score
I cant understand,a lot of people has those "brain fog" side effect..in my opinion this is bullshit really.. 1mg/day is ok,continue if you are maintaining. !

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
I would rather split it. Then you get a dose every 24 hrs instead of 48.

Reducing the dose may help you with sides. It definitely did help me.For brain fog try 100mg Ginseng. It's harmless and helped me nicely for overall energy.
Good luck.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was taking 1mg of finasteride EOD, Mon, Wed, Fri and I noticed my forehead would become all oily and red and my skin would become flaky, it wasn't nice at all, I put it down to taking the finasteride EOD as opposed to ED and it was causing a fluctuation in my hormones which in turn caused an overproduction in facial skin oil.

Just a hypothesis.

I've now been taking finasteride 0.5 mg ED for bout a month and I've had no problems with regards to my skin.

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thank you guys. I will probably switch to 0.5 per day and see how it gets. That brain fog issues scare me a little bit, though my hair quality has been improved by finasteride.

Receding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Do u split the pills with a pill cutter Irishfella?? The finpecia pills I have are tiny, and its hard to split them exactly in half.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Receding89 said:
Do u split the pills with a pill cutter Irishfella?? The finpecia pills I have are tiny, and its hard to split them exactly in half.

No, I just hold one down in between my fingers, get a grip with my finger nails and cut down, they come out perfect. When I first tried to cut them I didn't hold onto them and they would just shoot off my table and would break into little pieces.

Common sense then kicked in and I held them as I cut them, haha.

:)

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You should be very careful a pregnant woman does not touch them. I order my pharmacist to create the pills. He has a machine or something, putting the proscars inside and creating new pills. I am very concerned with the ''pregnant woman'' issue

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
thylax said:
You should be very careful a pregnant woman does not touch them.

I've talked about that issue a number of times! :) I think extremely cautious warnings for preganant women not to touch finasteride pills is mostly just a lot of FDA "over-kill". I probably wouldn't take several Proscar tablets and crush them all into a fine powder and then have a pregnant woman roll all over the powder on the floor for several minutes, but all that's quite a bit more significant than merely "touching a tablet". In fact, I've even seen an article in a medical journal (written by a doctor) who said that having such a pregnant woman swallow such a tablet (not just touch it or roll around in it, actually SWALLOW it) probably wouldn't cause much of a problem, as long as it's just a single tablet. It's not something she should do on a regular basis, of course.

stoja

Established Member
Reaction score
IrishFella said:
I was taking 1mg of finasteride EOD, Mon, Wed, Fri and I noticed my forehead would become all oily and red and my skin would become flaky, it wasn't nice at all, I put it down to taking the finasteride EOD as opposed to ED and it was causing a fluctuation in my hormones which in turn caused an overproduction in facial skin oil.

Just a hypothesis.

I've now been taking finasteride 0.5 mg ED for bout a month and I've had no problems with regards to my skin.

Don't hormones fluctuate throughout the day anyway? I believe taking it eod will effect your facial skin oil for this very reason.

Can anybody clarify this?

Rawtashk

Reaction score
About the brain fog....when do you take your finasteride? I'd heard about the "brain fog" kicking in for a few hours after taking finasteride, so I've always just taken my finasteride at night about an hour before I got to bed. I figure that, if it does cause brain fog, then I'll be asleep and it won't bother me :)

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well I currently take 1 mg eod and I think my fog is much better now, than when I was taking 1mg ed. Of course, it might be just in my mind