0.25mm Or 0.5mm For Daily Derma Rolling (with minoxidil?)

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just ordered a derminator 2 but thought I'd get my scalp used to being poked with sharp needles while I wait for it to arrive.

If I were to use a derma roller every day to help with minoxidil absorption is it better to use .25mm or .5mm?

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
A roller and derminator are completely different. The needles aren't penetrating the skin completely with a roller, so a 1.5mm roller might get you 1mm of penetration, a 1mm roller .5mm. Somebodyalex used a 1.5 with a light touch so he was probably getting .5mm of penetration.

That's really helpful thanks, was just about to find one on Amazon so will make sure I get a deeper one than I had planned!

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
I've ordered a 1mm and will see how I go with that, might get a 1.5mm if I don't feel it's going deep enough. I thought it better to start of light and go deeper later as otherwise it might put me off when I have blood outing down my face after the first go

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would probably say stick with the 1mm roller and avoid the derminator but that's just me, some of the best results i have seen come from rolling at that depth before applying minoxidil. Im still a bit unsure about the follica protocol tbh, i know they have invested a lot of time and money in to it but i still have some doubts about how effective it is.

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
I've ordered a 1mm and will see how I go with that, might get a 1.5mm if I don't feel it's going deep enough. I thought it better to start of light and go deeper later as otherwise it might put me off when I have blood outing down my face after the first go

Aren't you the guy who had amazing results with Dutas?

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score

Yeah, well very good results, lots of thickening and some new hair growth. Didn't regrow by hairline but made it look a lot better just by thickening existing hair.

Crown I had thickening and a fair bit of growth.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score

Kind of misleading because of light, hair style / length, angle etc, but this was my hair just before I came off dutasteride, and my hair 4 months later... Crazy how much I've lost, although I'm guessing I've shed and some of it will actually grown back

Attachments

• 20200709_111843.jpg
    20200709_111843.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 244
  • Eden boxes PR photos - March 2020 (high res)-8_websize.jpg
    Eden boxes PR photos - March 2020 (high res)-8_websize.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 257

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
Kind of misleading because of light, hair style / length, angle etc, but this was my hair just before I came off dutasteride, and my hair 4 months later... Crazy how much I've lost, although I'm guessing I've shed and some of it will actually grown back

Wow, those are some crazy results! Why on Earth did you stop taking it?

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
I would probably say stick with the 1mm roller and avoid the derminator but that's just me, some of the best results i have seen come from rolling at that depth before applying minoxidil. Im still a bit unsure about the follica protocol tbh, i know they have invested a lot of time and money in to it but i still have some doubts about how effective it is.

These people experiencing great results with dermarolling lightly once a day with 1mm, how many times a day are they applying minoxidil? Is there a general best practice?

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Some gyno underneath that sweater or am i wrong? Why did you quit the dutasteride?

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow, those are some crazy results! Why on Earth did you stop taking it?

Had some blood tests and my liver count came back super high, not 100% sure why but the only thing I could put it down to was dutasteride.

I'd had general fatigue and an uncomfortable feeling under my right ribs for a year or so, both signs of liver issues... Who knows, maybe not the dutasteride but can't think of anything else it could be, plus found some small studies online that suggested long term dutasteride isn't good for your liver (finasteride didn't show any issues though).

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Some gyno underneath that sweater or am i wrong? Why did you quit the dutasteride?

Haha nah just slightly unflattering jumper... Does look like I've got tits in that photo but definitely don't / didn't.

I'm 40 so just decided to get off everything, give my liver a break (see post above) and go bald gracefully. Obvs 3-4 months on I hate my hair and back on here looking for the latest new fad haha

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha nah just slightly unflattering jumper... Does look like I've got tits in that photo but definitely don't / didn't.

I'm 40 so just decided to get off everything, give my liver a break (see post above) and go bald gracefully. Obvs 3-4 months on I hate my hair and back on here looking for the latest new fad haha

Heh, good it's not gyno, you look good for 40. Had sides on it, feel any different after 4 months now?

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Heh, good it's not gyno, you look good for 40. Had sides on it, feel any different after 4 months now?

Thanks, I think that's a problem when you have a bit of a young face but then going bald, just looks weird. Going to grow it a bit longer again but unless I can recover what I've lost definitely not as long as I had it in that pic. Maybe stick to short but not shaved so I can derma roll etc easier.

I feel like sh*t in all honesty haha, but that's because I suffer badly from migraines which because of stress have knocked me out for the last few months... I'm self employed with a family of four and lost all my income for 6+ months due to covid, so it's difficult to say coming off the hair regime has made me feel x or y, as overall I've just been not well. Had another round of bloods though and my liver was more or less back to normal so that's good

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, I think that's a problem when you have a bit of a young face but then going bald, just looks weird. Going to grow it a bit longer again but unless I can recover what I've lost definitely not as long as I had it in that pic. Maybe stick to short but not shaved so I can derma roll etc easier.

I feel like sh*t in all honesty haha, but that's because I suffer badly from migraines which because of stress have knocked me out for the last few months... I'm self employed with a family of four and lost all my income for 6+ months due to covid, so it's difficult to say coming off the hair regime has made me feel x or y, as overall I've just been not well. Had another round of bloods though and my liver was more or less back to normal so that's good

Damn sorry to hear that bro, really sorry. Try to keep positive and keep your head up and keep fighting the world is not looking good for most people now but we will get through this also and a lot of things will change to better i think, but it takes time unfortunately... Good luck and be safe you and your family

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
Had some blood tests and my liver count came back super high, not 100% sure why but the only thing I could put it down to was dutasteride.

I'd had general fatigue and an uncomfortable feeling under my right ribs for a year or so, both signs of liver issues... Who knows, maybe not the dutasteride but can't think of anything else it could be, plus found some small studies online that suggested long term dutasteride isn't good for your liver (finasteride didn't show any issues though).

Yikes, that's scary. You're not a big drinker or anything? Also, have you considered lowering your dutasteride dose? Some have done well only using it twice a day.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Damn sorry to hear that bro, really sorry. Try to keep positive and keep your head up and keep fighting the world is not looking good for most people now but we will get through this also and a lot of things will change to better i think, but it takes time unfortunately... Good luck and be safe you and your family

Thanks man, I'm better than I was so just taking it each day as it comes

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Yikes, that's scary. You're not a big drinker or anything? Also, have you considered lowering your dutasteride dose? Some have done well only using it twice a day.

No I pretty much don't drink at all, maybe 2 beers a week. That was the first question the Doctor asked me too so think it was what he was thinking too.

I actually had the blood tests as had 3 months of lung infections from Mid Nov onwards, which looking back matched pretty much all covid symptoms, which also can give liver issues. Although apparently covid wasn't around then so who knows? Doesn't explain the feeling under my right ribs which is a sign of non fatty liver disease, so pretty sure it was the dutasteride unfortunately.

Going to do finasteride + minoxidil + micro needling and derma rolling + scalp massage and think even if I don't get back to where I was I'll be able to improve with that combo.