0.25mg of finasteride, still getting sides, any advice.

Jessejames

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first post on the forums. After researching these forums for 6 months finally decided to start taking Finasteride in the form of Cipla Finpecia. For the first 4 days i took a quarter of a 1mg tablet, 0.25 each day and after the 4 days was having quite intrusive ball aches and some abdominal pain.

Have since decided to take 0.25mg on monday of week 1, 0.25mg on monday and thursday of week 2 etc, but i still have some ball ache at the moment after 2 doses in 2 weeks.

Just wondering if anyone could offer any advice, shall i continue through the side-effects to see if they regress, or are the sides a clear indication that something is wrong and i should stop?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

Ryansworld

Reaction score
Ive been taking the exact same brand of finasteride 1mg for 9 days now and i can totally relate to the ball ache. However Ive read many times on here that its temporary and it will subside eventually so id just stick to it and see what happens. If you start experiencing worse symptoms like erectile dysfunctions then id consider a lower dose or stop completely.

BritishUser

Reaction score
I had the ache too. It went away.

I started straight on 1mg a day, no dosing.

BusterBluth

Reaction score
You could cut back dose even further. Merck's own dosing study data show scalp DHT reduction at 0.05 mg. That's 1/20th of a tablet. See:

http://www.physics.upenn.edu/facultyinf ... peciafda2/

To achieve such a low dose, you would probably need to dissolve the tablets in ethanol and consume the solution. (It is not practical to cut the tablet into 20 equal parts.)

If you were to crush 19 1-mg tablets and dissolve in a 375 mL container of vodka, then the finasteride concentration of the solution is 0.0507 mg/mL. Thus, if you consume 1 mL of the solution per day (approximately 0.20 teaspoon), then you are receiving 0.0507 mg of finasteride.

One other thought: are you taking saw palmetto or any other herbs that may be contributing to side effects? I noticed some of the side effects that you describe back when I was on saw palmetto alone - even before starting finasteride.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Ball ache is very common, and goes away. I had it when I started at .5mg, and then again when I upped it to 1.25mg 3 years later.

At some point you'll be like "hmm...I just realized that I can't remember the last time my balls had an ache..."