0.25 Mg finasteride Every Other Day, Thoughts?

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using 0.25mg of finasteride for more than 6 months and the regrowth has been very good. However, I'm not pleased with the effects of the raised estrogen. I believe I had high DHT before treatment and I've had this theory that high DHT+finasteride= high estrogen, which seems to the case for me. I've lost some body hair and facial hair, it grows way slower and is super soft. I'm also storing more fat in the chest and waist area, while the face is a bit bloated (water retention I guess).

Since I've had such great results with only 0.25mg, will lowering the dose to 0.25mg EOD still be somewhat effective? Has anyone tried this?

Cowboys fan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Same problems.as u and same dosage I'm also waiting to see if anyone has any answers

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Same problems.as u and same dosage I'm also waiting to see if anyone has any answers
The exact same symptoms and no sexual issues? Have you tried DIM? I'm thinking it might be worth a try and if it doesn't work I'll take it EOD and hope for the best.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i've been for every other day 0.5mg. And diffused as f***.
im on 1.25mg every day since 3 months and have superb results

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im doing 0.5mg EOD and seem to be maintaining. Still losing around 35 hairs per shower though which is more than when I was doing 0.5mg ED but cosmetically looks the same.

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The issue with changing doses is that it can take time to see what effect it can have (if any). It took me roughly 10 months to notice my hair thinning after changing from 1 mg Propecia to 0.25 mg - 0.5 mg every day. You are getting growth at 0.25 mg which is really good. @recedingornot87 dosage seems to be working for him also. I am one of those people who has to take a higher dosage.

Did you test for your estrogen, T, and DHT before starting finasteride?

Here are 2 of the the studies regarding the dosages and scalp/serum DHT:

Clinical dose ranging studies
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10495375

1.jpg

Scalp skin and serum androgen levels
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10495374

2.jpg

Last edited:

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Im doing 0.5mg EOD and seem to be maintaining. Still losing around 35 hairs per shower though which is more than when I was doing 0.5mg ED but cosmetically looks the same.
The loss might be temporary only, from my understanding it comes and goes. But 0.5mg EOD is basically 0.25 ED, so 0.25mg EOD would make it about 0.17mg ED. The graphs I've seen shows that it's about a 20% difference between 1mg and 0.2mg in efficiency, after that it seems to go downhill fast. On the other hand, I've had great results with 0.25mg so maybe it'll be enough..

I'm starting to think that when the DHT is inhibited it's the Estrogen that determines regrowth.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
The issue with changing doses is that it can take time to see what effect it can have (if any). It took me roughly 10 months to notice my hair thinning after changing from 1 mg Propecia to 0.25 mg - 0.5 mg every other day. You are getting growth at 0.25 mg which is really good. @recedingornot87 dosage seems to be working for him also. I am one of those people who has to take a higher dosage.

Did you test for your estrogen, T, and DHT before starting finasteride?

Here are 2 of the the studies regarding the dosages and scalp/serum DHT:

Clinical dose ranging studies
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10495375

View attachment 106729

Scalp skin and serum androgen levels
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10495374

View attachment 106730
Going off the last graph even 0.05 is supposed to be pretty effective. I might try DIM for a couple of weeks first and then go lower with the dose.

No I didn't have a test before starting finasteride. Only T a couple of years back and the most recent test shows that I have lower T-levels now than previously. But I did the test mid-day and I know that results aren't accurate unless it's done in the morning.
My estradiol was high though: S--estradiol 137 pmol/L 41,4-159

Btw, do you know if estrogen goes up, down or is stable during the day?

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Going off the last graph even 0.05 is supposed to be pretty effective. I might try DIM for a couple of weeks first and then go lower with the dose.

No I didn't have a test before starting finasteride. Only T a couple of years back and the most recent test shows that I have lower T-levels now than previously. But I did the test mid-day and I know that results aren't accurate unless it's done in the morning.

I know that certain foods can increase estrogen but I am not sure by how much or how immediate the increase takes place. If it can be raised so easily then it makes me believe that it can also be decrease which would cause fluctuations throughout the day. This is raising a lot of questions in my head and is something that I will have to read up on one day.

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Did you ever get good results from DIM or reducing to .25 eod? Thinking of getting back on finasteride on this dosage along with 100mg dim ED. I had same estrogen sides of fat accumulation on hips/waist and water retention, chest fat.