Dr. Rahal, 2597 grafts in the crown. My 2nd hair transplant - May 09 2011

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Please see my signature for a link to my first hair transplant with Dr. Rahal in Jan 2008.

I was back in Dr. Rahal's chair last week on Monday the 9th of May. My first transplant (aged 28) concentrated on joining my crown into the mid scalp region and improving my look from the front. The result was great and I enjoyed my hair for 2 years but then I got a bit hair greedy. As you can see from my pics an area approx 15cm2 was left at the lower part of my crown. I hoped that I would improve this area with the use of meds (finasteride and minoxidil) but it didn't happen. So I have had this area done (aged 31) and also added some density into the previous transplant.

The plan was to get 2000 grafts but my donor density was better than expected and I ended up with 2597, excellent, the more the merrier for me. I also got an excellent hair count which consisted of 110 singles, 1567 doubles, 893 triples and 27 quads which equals 6031 hairs. The size of my strip was 21.1cm2. The density is higher in the lower part of my crown and the rest is spread out in my previous transplant. Dr. Rahal used the singles to restore my crown swirl.

The whole experience was great and everyone was friendly and professional just like 3 years ago. But anyone who's had a transplant will know the actual procedure is the easy part, it is the waiting which begins now which is tough.

Last time I stayed at the Adams Airport Inn which was okay but cost me quite a bit in taxi fares. This time I stayed at the Foxbar Guesthouse which was well equipped and very comfortable. It is also just a 5 mins walk to Dr. Rahal's clinic which is very convenient. The owner is a nice guy and friendly and gave me a lift to the airport.

So to confirm I have now received 5400 grafts in a 75cm2 area of my crown, which is a lot. But the crown really is the black hole for grafts and requires a lot more than the front to create the illusion of density. Dr. Rahal said my donor and laxity is good so I still have enough to do the frontal third in the future.

Here are my pre and post op pics from my second procedure.

ht2pre2.jpg

ht2pre1.jpg

ht2post2.jpg

ht2post1.jpg

nw_2

Reaction score
Interesting story. You dont see very often that a person has received 5400 grafts only in the crown area. So with our first transplant you already got 3000 grafts in the crown ? Its indeed a black hole. Although looking at your pics than the bald area is more than just the crown only, as you also said.

My bald pot was about 8 by 6 = 48cm2...just the crown. I got 2000 grafts over there, mostly triples and doubles. I can say its very good but still use a little concealer to make it perfect. I also had bald temples so needed grafts there too otherwise I would have had a perfect new crown. Perhaps I will add another 500 grafts over there in the future.

Keep us updated. :)

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks nw2,

Yeah my first hair transplant was 2800 grafts in the crown and a bit into the mid scalp.

I know most people usually work from front to back but I am the opposite. So I will make sure to keep everyone updated.

nw_2

Reaction score
yeah correct, but I also think your hairline and front is still fine. Some tiny little spots of Androgenetic Alopecia but that's about it. I dont know how you feel about that, but I would not do anything over there if you keep this situation. :)

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
I came off finasteride last christmas because it was making my weight yo yo up and down all the time by messing with my hormones. But I am back on it now.

I think either my hair is going through a seasonal shed or I've lost some due to coming off the finasteride. Either way I am hoping it comes back in a few months time and I have no plans for the front as of yet.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Looking promising :)

I'll be very interested to see what the next 12 months bring as I'm considering a procedure in exactly that area.

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
GeminiX said:
Looking promising :)

I'll be very interested to see what the next 12 months bring as I'm considering a procedure in exactly that area.

Thanks GeminiX, I will be make sure to keep everyone updated.

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm now 8 weeks post op and just had my first hair cut since my second procedure. I got it buzzed down to a number 3 all over which might be a little short for the scar at this point in time, but I don't care. It looks ok but I think there is a little shock loss around it.

I can't wait for the regrowth on top cos it really sucks looking worse for 3 months after the op. I've had lots of ingrown hairs which are a good sign.

8weekspostop001.jpg

8weekspostop006.jpg

8weekspostop002.jpg

8weekspostop00.jpg

8weekspostop.jpg

8weeks.jpg

Nene

Reaction score
Scar doesn't look so bad, even with the hair buzzed to a 3. I have to say though, it looks like between your first and second procedure that you lost a whole lot of hair. Were you on finasteride?

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
Nene said:
Scar doesn't look so bad, even with the hair buzzed to a 3. I have to say though, it looks like between your first and second procedure that you lost a whole lot of hair. Were you on finasteride?

I think I have lost some but not a whole lot. Where do you think I've lost it from?

I had been on finasteride but I had a break for about 4 months earlier this year and I'm back on it now. Also, in the pics in my first thread my hair is quite a bit longer than in this one so would appear less see through.

Nene

Reaction score
El Nino said:
Nene said:

I think I have lost some but not a whole lot. Where do you think I've lost it from?

I had been on finasteride but I had a break for about 4 months earlier this year and I'm back on it now. Also, in the pics in my first thread my hair is quite a bit longer than in this one so would appear less see through.

I really don't want to be negative or discouraging, but I'll be honest with you. The pics from a few months after your first hair transplant, it looks like you have pretty much a full head of hair except for one small thin spot. Now looking at the pre-op from before your 2nd procedure, it looks almost like pre-op before your first hair transplant. Unless I'm missing something. Am I looking at the wrong pics or were you wearing toppik.

Nene

Reaction score
I take that back, it doesn't look quite as bad as pre op before the first procedure, but it does look considerably thinner.

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never used any concealer but there is gel in my hair in the 16 month post op pics from my first hair transplant.

Yeah it does look thinner. I think I have lost all the native hair from the area first transplanted which explains it.

But I knew I would need another hair transplant because a 15cm2 area was left in the first hair transplant. So now I've had this done and added density into the first one. I didn't want to get back in the chair and just get another 1000 grafts for the 15cm2 area.

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm now 4 months post op and just returned from a haircut where I got it buzzed down to a number 3 all over again. The shockloss on the scar is slowly returning and the regrowth on top has now started.

I'm very happy with how it looks so far and can't wait for the months ahead...

4months002.jpg

4months012.jpg

4months003.jpg

4months011.jpg

4months010.jpg

4months015.jpg

4months014.jpg

4months006.jpg

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a reminder of where I started out from in January 2008.

IMG_0558_1_1.jpg

IMG_0564_2_1_1.jpg

21liquourice

Reaction score
I think you should be really pleased with these results man. Don't listen to any naysayers on here, looks good! :)

sad_spiderman

Reaction score
it looks really good...
I hope you wont lose the hair at the hairline. how many grafts you have left for a possible future hair transplant procedure?

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheers guys.

Spidey,
I have above average donor density and excellent scalp laxity. I reckon at least another 5000 grafts with just strip and more with FUE.

See 8 month update below.

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year!

I am nearly 8 months post op now and I have grown my hair out a bit.

These pics are with wet hair and then some with gel in after. I am very happy with how it looks but I know there is more to come. I remember from my first hair transplant that it took ages to fully mature, past the one year mark.

8months004.jpg

8months006.jpg

8months015.jpg

8months024.jpg

8months016.jpg

T

TravisB

Great result! Seems like you never had any hairloss at all. Your hairloss type was not so bad and ideal for transplant. Your hairline was intact and overall thickness was good except the crown, so the filling was easy.. But shame that scar seems quite visible on shorter length.