Your opinions on getting an hair transplant when not on meds?

cheddar66

Reaction score
Hi guys
I know Ill probably get flamed for this but.....
Im in my 30s and have receding temples and thinning crown.
I know that minoxidil and finasteride are always recommended before any type of surgery. After researching...finasteride is fairly easy to take and maintain since in pill form
However Im a bit paranoid of possible sides and shedding if I jump on meds.
What if I used just finasteride consistantly and got an hair transplant to cover up some of my areas??
Im not bald in any areas and feel that my hair loss has been VERY slowly affecting my hair over the past 15 years
So I figured since my hair isnt that bad then get on finasteride to maintain what I have and an hair transplant to fill in some areas
Is this plan doable with minoxidil??
Thanks!!

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
Still risky for a young guy in his 30s to get a transplant without medication (at least some form of 5-ar inhibitor or topical anti-androgen) regardless of the level of loss. If you're going to do it, start off slow with 1000 grafts or less and slowly get more procedures done if you feel like it spaced out between a year or two at least.

cheddar66

Reaction score
I got a hair transplant while not on finasteride, but I was already pretty much slick bald at the front, which allowed me to get back and secure an even coverage for the future.

If for some reason, you can't do a follow-up hair transplant, your pattern is going to look odd and unnatural. Also, whatever surgeons say, finasteride doesn't stop hair loss forever.

Yes Im aware finasteride wont stop it forever.....I meant slow down the process. Thanks

BiqqieSmalls

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a hair transplant while not on finasteride, but I was already pretty much slick bald at the front, which allowed me to get back and secure an even coverage for the future.

If for some reason, you can't do a follow-up hair transplant, your pattern is going to look odd and unnatural. Also, whatever surgeons say, finasteride doesn't stop hair loss forever.
Wont Dutasteride though?

cheddar66

Reaction score
My logic is...even though hair around the transplanted hair may/will become thinner etc...at least for the time being..having my current state improved in the present and years in the future is critical. If i worry about patchy hair that will occur down the road then I may keep putting the hair transplant off