Your fastest running mile time/ 5k time

Cassin

Reaction score
I wish I could run, I have flat feet so its pretty painful and people with flat feet use a lot of energy when they run so I would probably take oh about 2 hours to run 5. sucks

So I took up biking!

hiimnotcool

Reaction score
astral week said:
hiimnotcool:
4 months is definitely enough time to get to the mid 11s, but you should probably up your mileage a bit. Do a long run of 8+ miles, keep up the 2 4-5 milers (but you shouldn't do them too easy), and then i would 2 interval workouts a week, like a lot of 400s and 800s. I ran the 2 mile in high school, i think my best was 10:30, and i think keeping up the mileage while still focusing on intervals is important.
That 5:14 is pretty good.

Yeah, I'm gonna start doing a 7-11 mile run every Saturday. Today did some speed work, 800m intervals at about 3:20 pace for about 3 miles. My shins have been KILLING me lately though so it hurts to run. I think the guy at footlocker sold me the Asics Nimbus because he didn't really know what he was doing. Those shoes are for neutral runners and I am overpronator. Hopefully the Kayanos work.

astral week

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah ease into speed work, especially if your shins have been hurting. But if you can run a mile in 5:14 and a 5k around 19, then you should try to start speeding your 800s up slowly, like to 2:40 or so. the idea is that you're trying to acheive a race pace for about the same distance as the race your training for, but in interval form with rests.
good shoes are really important, i think new balance is pretty good for stability and helping shin splints. there are also some good exercises for that. running on trails or grass helps a lot too