Your brain gets slower as you get older, even by age 40.

CCS

Reaction score
This is a huge factor in chess world championships. The younger players have an advantage as far as thinking faster and having better working memory. Knowledge helps, but by age 40, most world champions lose the title. Scary, I thought bodily aging was the main worry, and that mental aging would not be a problem until age 70 or so.

I'm becoming more aware of our mortality, and it is changing my perspective.

oni

Reaction score
CCS said:
This is a huge factor in chess world championships. The younger players have an advantage as far as thinking faster and having better working memory. Knowledge helps, but by age 40, most world champions lose the title. Scary, I thought bodily aging was the main worry, and that mental aging would not be a problem until age 70 or so.

So how do you see the world now?

Are you going to start breeding?

s.a.f

Reaction score
CCS said:

Sorry but it all ages the same way. Us Humans are'nt really designed to live to the kind of ages that science allows us to.

You actually hit your physical peak at about 25! The peak of your overall hormone production. And can expect to deteriorate at about 2% a year after that.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that most mathematicians do their best work in their 20s, and after that they just write or become professors.

HughJass

Reaction score
Are those people even good case examples for determining the limits of humans and the rate of deterioration?

I don't think they are. Most people eat bad food and live their lives in a stressful way, even smart people.

Cassin

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
Are those people even good case examples for determining the limits of humans and the rate of deterioration?

I don't think they are. Most people eat bad food and live their lives in a stressful way, even smart people.

Agree. Besides you also must consider psychological factors like how much someones drive and interests have changed at 40 versus 18.