Youngliberalsunite's story - (17 and drastically receding)

Youngliberalsunite

Reaction score
Hey guys, I started maliciously receding at the age of 12 believe it or not. My dad did not have the same situation with his hair although he did begging loosing hair by around the age of 25. Is it normal for me to lose so much hair at such an early age? Anyway I’m 17 now and I haven’t lost much hair since my initial loss, so I was wondering if perhaps I will keep the hair I have for much longer?
I would appreciate recommendations as I cannot afford any sort of expensive operation such as a hair transplant. And i would just like a definitive diagnosis, i mean i don't understand how my hair has got to this state.

(sorry about the quality of some pics, i just cropped them out of group pics.)

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 248
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 224

jamesrav

Reaction score
Re: 17 and drastically receding, PLEASE HELP! (W/Pics)

you do seem to have a very high hairline for 17, I don't know if that's a definite
indication that you are going to lose the front hair in the near future. To be safe
you should probably start generic Minoxidil on the front and crown - at Walmart
you can get a 2 pack for $25. You are too young to consider Propecia, I wouldn't
be suppressing hormones at your age. But if the front starts to go and does not
come back that may be your best option.

antonio666

Reaction score

the only thing i can think is that you must have starterd puberty very early(is this the case) and have a very agressive hairloss seems strange that it has not got any worse since 12.
i think the age you start puberty has an effect on your hairloss,i could not growstubble till i was 18 and this is why maybe my hairloss did not start until 26,it is just a theory

cleverusername

Established Member
Reaction score

I was in the exact situation when I was 17. I'm 24 now and things have gotten worse. My advice get on finasteride. You can order it online cheap (about $10 a month) as well as using minoxidil on the hairline/temples. You can also buy that cheap on ebay or most stores for about $10 a month. Get the generic brand. The propecia will make sure you keep what you have as well as thicken things up. It often grows new hair as well but mostly on top which you seem to be fine in. The minoxidil will help the hairline/temples fill in.

The most important advice I can give you is STAY ON YOUR MEDICINE! When I was 17 my parents always asked if I took my propecia (god that's a sad story) but once I left for college and wasn't seeing dramatic results in a couple months I ditched the propecia and said it doesn't work. Now I wish I would have done that because I have a harder battle to fight now due to my impatience and laziness.

So get these couple things and keep us updated on your situation. I truely know how much it can suck to be losing your hair in high school so I totally feel your situation. Things will get better though.

Fanjeera

Reaction score

I will probably be like this soon too. A few months ago I could cover my bald spots, but not anymore :(. A few months and I will be like this, I'm sure. I'm 17 too. Getting on Propecia, when I hit 18.

Snip

Reaction score

I truly feel for you, man.

I started losing my hair at 21 - pretty much knew what I was in for before that (my dad and my uncle on my mother's side, both bald by their early 20s).

The first weave I got just couldn't be more uncomfortable. Tried Propecia, but ended up with an unattractive slick across the top of my head. On top of that, I had a mild case of tourettes, so talk about being self-conscious when I was young. It really, really sucked. And it's not that I was an unattractive guy. It's just tough getting women to be interested in you when your confidence is in the toilet.

I'm 28 now, have a great hair replacement and am engaged to get married. Went to a company here in NY for the replacement (I'm from Westchester) and they just couldn't be nicer and more professional. People who don't know me just don't know I've had any baldness.

So don't worry, man. There are solutions to this.

These are the guys I go to if it's of help to you:

http://www.hairloss-hair-replacement.com/content/view/57/190