Yipee, Hooray, I got prescribed Proscar, need advice...

Doogey

Reaction score
Got me a prescription to Proscar...

I am looking for suggestions on the usage of my new Rx. Since even with insurance here in the US (UHC) that a 30 day supply (at 5mg) costs me $30.00 a month, I am wondering if I need to divide my dosage. I recently have had a DHT blood tests, and my levels for DHT have hovered around the 120 ng/dl level (with the reference range like 45 - 85ng/dl), so I have been very high for many months now.

So, should I still take a 5mg pill, or do some of you think I should cut it
down...? Some have said they broke or cut theirs into 4 or 5 pieces, but I am not sure I need to do this or not.

My issues are that I have generally diffuse thinning hair (but also some receding hairline and temples), and that I am in my late 40's. Even so, I have alot of thick hair but it is starting to go away, so I like to think this is a DHT issue, since I am experiencing the miniaturization of hairs, but maybe it is also other issues too, like decreased blood flow to the scalp in general.

Have others experiences results while on finasteride? What kind of results? Any shedding? Anyone who is also on finasteride but are a little older too?

DISCLAIMER: I am not looking for medical advice per se, but just suggestions based upon other users experiences. I in no way presume or construe this is official medical advice to me, by you.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The recommended dose for hairloss is 1mg of finasteride/day. I have never heard of anyone taking a full proscar pill at a time. Chop it into 4 pieces and take 1 piece each day. That's why proscar is so damn cheap compared to propecia!

Doogey

Reaction score
Ok, but the pill is so freakin small... How do I go about doing that/ Plus, it seems the sizes of the pieces won't be accurate (cux the pill is so small).

beaner

Reaction score
Didn't the doctor who prescribed it give you dosing instructions or write it on the prescription anywhere? Did he/she advise you to take a whole pill for hair loss? Just wondering.

I take 1/6 of a pill daily with great results.

longtime

Reaction score
how do you get a prescript for proscar for hairloss? I've tried unsuccesfully with both my derm and primary, I'd really like to try to save some money, what am i doing wrong?

Doogey

Reaction score
I didn't get it prescribed for hairloss, but for genrally low testosterone due to high DHT.

I have been on Androgel for a number of years, but even lately it hasn't been as helpful: low energy, sagging muscles (sarcopenia?), slight BPH of the prostate with (at the time) elevated PSA levels (but this seems to no longer be a concern-- flaxseed meal is a wonderful thing!) concerns about bone density in my future, etc. All of these are symptoms of low T

My last lab showed that I have very high DHT blood serum levels (120ng/dl when the highest should be no higher than 85ng/dl, according to the LabCorp report). DHT is a sort of "cannibalizing" of Testosterone.

Since keeping my testosterone levels up into acceptable levels has been an on-going concern, my doctor prescribed Proscar for me.

So, staying on 5mg may still be my game plan. I have just started, and hoping to keep whatever T I got comin' to me. I am also hoping to keep any hair I already have, and maybe grow back a little more.

I guess my strategy is to just keep at 5mg, until I experience and sides, and if they present, then throttle it back to 2.5mg at that point.

Doogey

Reaction score
So Proscar (finasteride) doesn't block both types? What type does it block, and is it the best type for hair? I was also thinking of starting on Spectral-DNC-L as it has Saw Palmetto (and of course the Olive Oil extract), as I understand this blocks both types. Since I've had good experience with my current Saw Palmetto oral supplement (that and flaxseed meal) for bring down my PSA (at the time DHT level), would think this would also be good for the scalp as well.

Doogey

Reaction score
So will finasteride be all that effective (at least in terms of hair), if it only interferes with just one type of 5AR enzyme?