xandrox 15%

jimjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys. so i switched from dr lees minoxidil 5 % to xandrox 15%. its been 3 weeks and ive lost a lot of hair. i dont konw if this is a shed or is it just that xandrox is fastening the balding process. but if it is a shed this is bigger than any shed ive had w 5 % minoxidil. anyone whos done this switch or who is currently on xandrox? if so do u suggest i continue or what. thanks.

KR78

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had the same experience when I switched from 5% to Xandrox 15% not sure why this happed may be 15% is too strong. I then reverted back to 5% and now the shedding seems to have reduced.

jimjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
thx kr78. how long did u stick with 15 % before u switched back to 5%. so the hair that u lost with xandrox never grew back then?

Thin Jim

Reaction score
I have been on Xandrox 15% for around 10 months now. I went through the early shedding period like you guys. Mine probably didnt slow down until around the fifth to sixth month mark. However now at 10 months the shedding has stabilised and there is definately new hair at the hairline.

On Dr lees website it does say that the vast majority of users experience shedding when starting treatment and this is simply due to the high concentration of minoxidil.

I have been thinking about switching back to regular 5% cause I really dont think the cost is justified at 88 dollars a bottle plus shipping. One bottle only last me around 2 months so the yearly cost for this is very high when compared to the regular stuff. My main concern is that my scalp is now used to 15% and therefore I am worried I will loose what I have gained if I change.

StoptheMadness

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about switching back to regular 5% cause I really dont think the cost is justified at 88 dollars a bottle plus shipping. One bottle only last me around 2 months so the yearly cost for this is very high when compared to the regular stuff
I have been using this stuff (even in the face of strong evidence against it :) since mid June 2006 and the jury' still out.....you say it only lasts for 2 months but I think that's incorrect, unless you are using something other than the bottle with 125mg volume, which translates into lasting 3 months if used once per day. You should be using regular minoxidil for the other application during the day.

My main concern is that my scalp is now used to 15% and therefore I am worried I will loose what I have gained if I change.
I agree and this is definitely a concern, so once you are on it there is probably no going back????

jimjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
i emailed dr lee about this swtich and this is what he says:
If you had been using minoxidil 5% consistently at least once a day, then
Xandrox15 has not made your shedding worse. It is likely that your
shedding is, unfortunately, the heralding event for an accelerated phase
of male pattern baldness. If that is the case, no medications are going to be able prevent
it from happening, but the continued use of topical minoxidil with an
agent to decrease the DHT in the scalp can ameliorate the situation and
help you recover. If you continue to use Xandrox15 you should be better
off than if you went back to 5% minoxidil.

so if im switching from 5 % to 15 %, i shouldnt be normally having a shed like this.

KR78

Established Member
Reaction score
JimJohn I have used Xandrox 15% for abt a month and then discontinued, I have been using the regular 5% minoxidil since 1 month+ and the shedding has reduced a bit and I am also seeing some improvement in hair thickness. May be xandrox 15% is not for me !

mgmt

Reaction score
I've been using Xandrox15 for about 6-7 months (switched from 5%) and have NOT noticed an increased shed. However....

I've been using one application of Xandrox15 (PPG-free) at night and nothing else. Mostly due to irritation and laziness in the mornings, in all honesty. I've seen a good number of vellus hairs, but nothing terminal so my plan has changed gears.

I've shaved my head (down to #1 guard yesterday) in order to avoid messiness of trying to style hair after a few test applications of minoxidil in the morning. I had 2 un-opened bottles of Kirkland 5% laying around, so I've started my morning applications today.

Chances are that the standard minoxidil is going to irritate my scalp (itching and flaking was terrible prior to ppg-free xandrox). But I'm going to search for a some sort of soother, possibly Nizoral a few days a week to counter the irritation. I have tried T-Gel previsouly, but I wasn't satisified with it's ability to relieve the itching.

Any imput is welcome...

jimjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
so what do u guys recommend. should i stick to this xandrox or go back. dr lee says stick w xandrox, it will give u in the long run better results than minoxidil 5%. but im reading on this site xandrox doesnt have much evidence going for it and minoxidil 5% better?

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
stick to 5% minoxidil. I recommend rogain foam.

jimjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
sorry techprof what is this rogain foam. adn why do u recommend it over dr lees 5%. thanks.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jmjohn, rogaine foam dries instantaneously and does not contain ppg which irritates the scalp.

the foam is better cosmetically compared to Lee's minoxidil and costs less when you buy 3 or 4 months supply.

jimjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
thx techprof. is there anyone else who also would suggest rogaine foam over dr lees. for me with dr lees minoxidil 5% i didnt have a lot of scalp irritation problems.

jimjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
but if i move back to minoxiil 5% now, i wont get back the hair that i lost in the last 4 weeks when i had switched?