Xanax shouldn't be a controlled substance.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Its a mild benzodiazepine. If used properly (as needed, not every day), it helps dramatically with fast relief of panic attacks. I have taken xanax over the years, usually only a few pills a month. Not addictive whatsoever. Infact, they don't even give you any "high", when used on a day you are feeling good already. Thats why its worthless to abuse them, you will get nothing. Its not addictive, there is nothing to abuse.

Xanax is such a benign medication with such a low potential for abuse its not even funny.

And yet some doctors now refuse to prescribe benzos, yet are perfectly willing to prescribe dangerous anti-psychotic drugs like Geodon, Haldol and Thorazine that can prolong the QT interval.

I'm sorry, but I am actually against the idea of even having a "controlled substance". I may be able to understand why opiates and their derivatives are controlled, but benzodiazepines, no, I'm sorry. These drugs are so mild and they help a lot of people.

People have a right to put whatever they want in their bodies in the first place. If somebody chooses to be an idiot and abuse these drugs, thats on them, and they have to deal with the consequences, no matter what they be. But to punish every responsible citizen for the foolish actions of the few is very wrong and unethical.

Xanax should be over the counter. I wonder how Ron Paul feels about this issue, hell, I would vote for him if he supported my ideas here.

powersam

Reaction score
addictive.

still i'd love it to be over the counter, valium too. downers are awesome.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
powersam said:
addictive.

still i'd love it to be over the counter, valium too. downers are awesome.

I never liked valium, actually it made me feel too tired and kinda nervous. Took a long time to kick in too, and didn't help panic that much. Honestly, I don't think xanax is addictive at all, infact, I hate taking it because it makes me a little drowsy in the day (not nearly as bad as valium though). I only take it when I have a bad panic attack, and luckily those are rare these years. Also, I like xanax because it kicks in really fast and stops the panic within minutes.

The crazy thing is, I don't drink alcohol at all anymore because that is incredibly addictive. I haven't touched it in years. My dad is a religious zealot and thinks it should be banned again like it was back in the old days. But who would stand for that today?

So I'm thinking, why not apply the same logic to xanax? Which is more addictive? Getting drunk at the bar on vodka with my friends every friday? Or taking a benzo when I have bad panic attack.

docj077

Reaction score
Like someone else said, it's addictive. All benziodiazepines have addictive potential and should never be OTC.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
Like someone else said, it's addictive. All benziodiazepines have addictive potential and should never be OTC.

I think they have the tendency to become addictive if you use them every day for a week or two. But I never use them more than once a week if that. Never had any problems, I take a small dose too. Unfortunately, psychiatrists tend to tell you to take them every day until your anxiety goes down, rather than pop one every month during a bad panic attack. The way they do things, you will build up a tolerance quickly. With my method, you use it only as needed and you never develop a tolerance or addiction. You just treat the panic, which could never be treated otherwise with the use of the failing cognitive therapy techniques. Only benzodiazepines effectively treat the surge of catecholamines. Talking about the reason why your body does this solves nothing. And SSRI's tended to always make my panic worse. Only xanax helps, and only when I use it as described above.

Perhaps I should have more focused the title of this thread on libertarianism and controlled substances though, rather than just on xanax. The issue here is that the government shouldn't regulate any substance that may be addictive in some people, otherwise alcohol would be illegal again.

The controlled substances act is unconstitutional. Needs to be done away with. No more scheduling of herbs or pharmaceuticals. Look at all of the people in prison simply for possession and all of the wasted billions of dollars spent on the failing war on drugs.

IBM

Reaction score
my mom takes a lot of xanax to fight her anxiety and depression. Also Valium.

I think Valium is a great medicine. I've tooked dozen of times in past years. A few months ago i've taken 5 valiums. i spent the whole weekend in bed 8) .

docj077

Reaction score
youngbaldie said:
docj077 said:

I think they have the tendency to become addictive if you use them every day for a week or two. But I never use them more than once a week if that. Never had any problems, I take a small dose too. Unfortunately, psychiatrists tend to tell you to take them every day until your anxiety goes down, rather than pop one every month during a bad panic attack. The way they do things, you will build up a tolerance quickly. With my method, you use it only as needed and you never develop a tolerance or addiction. You just treat the panic, which could never be treated otherwise with the use of the failing cognitive therapy techniques. Only benzodiazepines effectively treat the surge of catecholamines. Talking about the reason why your body does this solves nothing. And SSRI's tended to always make my panic worse. Only xanax helps, and only when I use it as described above.

Perhaps I should have more focused the title of this thread on libertarianism and controlled substances though, rather than just on xanax. The issue here is that the government shouldn't regulate any substance that may be addictive in some people, otherwise alcohol would be illegal again.

The controlled substances act is unconstitutional. Needs to be done away with. No more scheduling of herbs or pharmaceuticals. Look at all of the people in prison simply for possession and all of the wasted billions of dollars spent on the failing war on drugs.

Sorry, but I totally disagree with you. You have no idea how totally and completely foolish it would be to prevent the government from regulating drugs. The regulations are in place to protect the general public from itself. Your attitude echoes the reason why the public needs to be protected.

You have NO idea how these drugs work and the people that are in jail for abusing them deserve to be there. It happens everyday and potentially every person is capable of it. A patient comes in without an appointment and demands something stronger for pain. The physician, already knowing that this person is a drug-seeker, gives the patient either a mild analgesic or a shot of a powerful NSAID. The patient will inevitably change the prescription (which many do and many are arrested for it) or they will sell the drugs on the street (again, many do and many are arrested for it).

This happens everyday and it isn't even a generalization on my part. Addictive drugs should not be OTC. Alcohol is only addictive in certain individuals and it has become a mainstay of modern American society. Yes, it should be illegal, but there is nothing that anyone can do about it.

Besides, the argument that some drug is legal so every drug so be legal is idiotic at best. I see these sort of discussion break down into such trivial bullcrap throwing contests and it isn't even worth discussing it with others. NO NEW DRUG THAT HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE ADDICTIVE SHOULD EVER BE OTC! With the exception of those drugs are carefully monitored by the government, so a person can only buy a particular amount of that drug. That ruling is in place for three reasons. One, the dumbing down of society is really occurring. The intelligentsia are having fewer children while the those of lower intelligence are having more. Two, people have NO IDEA how to take care of themselves or what the meaning of moderation really is. Patient compliance is a problem with any drug.

Lastly, benzodiazepines may work great with those with anxiety, but the most effective long term treatment is psychotherapy. People simply need help learning how to slow down. Drugs don't teach you that.

CCS

Reaction score
I totally agree with the Doctor on this one. I read the first two lines of that guy's reply and was about to say the same thing. Just because one person is smart enough to use it right does not mean it should be OTC, since it is addictive.

Now what does scare me is many pharmaceutical companies are trying to make green tea extract RX, probably because they don't want the cheap competition.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
Now what does scare me is many pharmaceutical companies are trying to make green tea extract RX, probably because they don't want the cheap competition.

Any updates on that? Are they actually going to be able to control supplements?

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Ridiculous.

docj077

Reaction score
youngbaldie said:
collegechemistrystudent said:

Any updates on that? Are they actually going to be able to control supplements?

It wouldn't really matter. The "quality" supplements are already made by the major drug companies if you look at the labeling close enough. Plus, those supplement are the only good supplements with regards to purity.

It'll be awefully tough to make herbs prescription. Especially, since the vast majority of them have no real indication.

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
cmoneyt8ker said:
do any of you guys know where to get pain meds online??

Thats near impossible, if you are talking about narcotics. Are you talking about Imitrex or something like that? Maybe.

But codeine, and the other opiates are strictly controlled. They are scheduled above even Xanax.

Again, don't see how or why any person would want to get "high" off codeine. It just makes me feel dizzy and drowsy and sometimes hurts your stomach, I don't like taking it. But I could see how these drugs could be addictive, even if you aren't trying to abuse them. If you take opiates for some time, you will go through bad physical withdrawal when you stop taking them.

Still, restricting them is against my morals, but I understand the logic behind controlling these somewhat more here.