WTF!!! spironolactone is a receptor agonist??? stop the spironolactone!!!!

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Spironolactone is a potent antiandrogen. The term antiandrogen, as defined by Dorfman, implies prevention of expression of androgen activity at target sites and does not include other mechanisms of decreasing androgen action, such as a decrease in production of androgens, interference with androgen metabolism, or change in androgen plasma protein binding.

CCS

Reaction score
Are you sure that was not a typo? Many people report that spironolactone reduces sebum production. That would seem to me that it reduces androgen activity. If it increased the activity, I think people would bald much faster.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
baldinglikeamofo said:
"Spironolactone, a strong competitor for the androgen receptor, is a potent agonist, whereas canrenone, a weak competitor, is a potent antagonist"

Holy sh**

no wonder the stuff does not work. Its actually must be accelerating hairloss!!!!

http://www.androgeneticalopecia.com/hai ... ness.shtml

It says in the very same article that it works, i think maybe you've jumped the gun a bit here, and the title should be toned down,.

clinical reports of use of spironolactone in patterned hair loss

There are very few documented reports in the literature regarding the use of spironolactone in pattern hair loss. Small open trials have shown some clinical effect in androgenetic alopecia, but re-growth takes a long time to develop.

All studies so far have been performed in women only.

In one study, 12 women with "androgen-dependent alopecia," were observed for 12 months. 6 were on spironolactone therapy of 75 to 100 mg per day and 6 were untreated controls. Both groups showed a mean decrease in target area nonvellus hairs, but the decrease in the control group was statistically significant. Enhanced non-vellus growth was noted in two patients who had their spironolactone dose doubled after 12 months from the 75 or 100 g per day used during the first year.
In a second study, there was an improvement in six of seven female patients with androgenic alopecia treated with 200 mg spironolactone daily.

Now about that agonist activity,

http://molpharm.aspetjournals.org/conte ... 5.full.pdf

I think we can all get the point of that article

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay i haven't got a clue what that studies about, but if i've interpreted it correctly it's saying spironolactone can be an agonist in certain cell types, but not all cell types.

It's certainly an interesting point that's been raised.