wtf is going on with my hairline?

curlsgoneswispy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, hoping for a bit of advice or hopefully some knowledgeable people to quash my fears. The backstory is that I'm 28 and my hair has always been a massive source of poor self-esteem for me, in that it has historically been very thick and coarse and unruly, never adhering to any style I wanted and generally being a nuisance. Over the past couple of years however I have finally reached a point where I'm not not only happy with my hair most of the time but actually quite pleased with it at others and receive a lot of compliments about it! But of course after finally making peace with my locks I've recently been hit with a sickening suspicion that I'm now starting to lose them (in some twisted karmic kick in the teeth from the universe for not being grateful previously perhaps??) I've always had a very high hairline complete with widow's peak (inherited from my dad who still has a full head of hair in his mid fifties) so I'm not overly concerned at present about recession at the temples, however I believe that I have noticed some minor change in the thickness and texture of my fringe, which seems to have come about alarmingly quickly. Literally in the space of the last 1-2 months my fringe appears thinner at the hairline and I have developed a lot of wispy little baby hairs there (baby hairs have literally appeared within the last month). When scraped back in unison (with the baby hairs) my hairline itself looks more or less the same as always, however when pushed back and left to its own devices the wispier hairs point downwards and the whole fringe looks awful (I didn't realise quite how awful until taking these pics). I usually wear my hair down and the change isn't noticeable then except for when it's wet and then it definitely looks a bit thinner. What is going on? is this just the beginning of male pattern baldness or could it be something else? I haven't noticed any thinning elsewhere nor any more shedding than usual, and the change has come about so quickly I'm wondering if it could be a symptom of some other underlying health condition. I've also only started properly growing chest hair in the past year or so at my ripe old age lol, so could this possibly just be a maturing hairline a bit late to the party? I'm extremely self conscious about my appearance and so desperately hoping that this might just be a minor change as I'm maturing and not a sign of worse things on the horizon, but if it's bad news then I'd rather receive it when there's still a chance to do something about it! Anyway I've Included as many pictures as possible, thank you to anyone that has read this far and for anyone taking the time to respond!
IMG_20231027_190923~2.jpg

IMG_20231027_190231~2.jpg
IMG_20231027_190223~2.jpg
IMG_20231027_190208~2.jpg
IMG_20231027_190129~2.jpg
IMG_20231027_185646~2.jpg
IMG_20231027_192456~2.jpg

edit: just in case it is unclear, these pics were all taken together, I brushed the baby (miniaturized? ) hairs down in the last pics

Last edited:

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes receding. Being a little older means you may have a lot of time, or may never go bald.