Wrapped Up 8 Months on Propecia-discouraged

kernelsanders

Reaction score
Hi everyone-been lurking on here for a while, but lately I've been bummed about how my treatment is progressing-so I feel that writing out my experience would be therapeutic.

About me:
Growing up I always had an incredibly think head of hair-my barbers would always say that I'll never go bald. I always thought I'd take after my mother's father who at 83 years old, is a NW2. Unfortunately at 24 I noticed that I'm likely to take after my father's father who was a NW6 by 35 :thumbdown2:

I noticed that around early spring of 2009 that I had a slight thinning in my temples. At this point I was convinced that it was nothing; however, now that I was fixating on my hair, I was noticing that a lot was coming out in the shower-like each pass of my hand would take 5-10 hairs... every time. After going through a period of denial, I decided to see my physician as my hairloss progressed (worsening hairline) in august of 2009.

He took a look at my scalp, agreed that I was thinning, took some blood, and wrote me out a prescription for Propecia. I had researched Propecia extensively, and decided that it was worth giving it a shot (after my blood work came back negative for thyroid and vitamin deficiency). About a month in, I started to lose a lot of hair- and I mean a lot. Each pass of my hand would pull 15 hairs- it was disgusting. Though gross, I had high hopes as I read on this board that I might be a strong responder, since I was experiencing shedding so early. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

As months went, so went my hair. I always wore my hair at a 3 on the sides and long in the front (sorta like Freddie Prince Jr), but things have thinned out so bad that I had to start buzzing it all down to a 2.

A year after noticing my hair loss (and the past 8 months being on Propecia), my temples have receded half an inch, and I have really bad diffusion on my crown- with 2 bald spots in the back of my head. My crown looks disgusting if I let my hair grow out more than a 3. Because of my strong regression (it's a lot of loss for one year), I decided to add in Rogain as well as Nizoral 2 weeks ago. I'm hoping that I'm on the cusp of a big-turn around and that I can experience some big gains in the next 4 months.

It really blows to lose so much, so fast, and not see any results with Propecia. I'll post some pictures of where I'm currently at later this week.

JayC2

Established Member
Reaction score
chill my man!

Ive been on Propecia and things have carried on getting worst, temples now NW2 and very thin on top, i have really thick hair and my hairdresser spent ages thinning the sides and back to match how much it has thinned (im just 29) ....ok the way i see it, please some one correct me if im wrong??????....

Propecia takes at least 6 months-12 in most cases to even BEGIN working and get in our sytem properly, so while ever were still popping pills for that first 6-12 months we will carry on our normal hair loss pattern and then when the propecia does start to work and has inhibited the DHT we can look for less hair loss and maybe a few months later maybe even regrowth / stable hair?

anyone agree or think different

qwerty

Reaction score
^^ finasteride does not take 12 months to get into your system to work properly, a deduction in dht and a rise in testosterone is seen immediately in blood results. they suggest to wait 12 months because hair cycles, theres a shed, then gradually the cycles should grow thicker hair.

im in the same boat as both of you. im almost done taperring off finasteride, and ive switched to oral spironolactone.

JayC2

Established Member
Reaction score
....looked carefully this morning after 6 months on propecia and exactly one week on minoxidil 2 x daily, and where a centre parting is (twice the thickness it should be), there are little black hairs sprouting, which i can feel and see, this has been white scalp for 3-5 months, so i am hoping these are new hairs. not shed for 3 months however the last two days there has been shedding, nothing major 5 hairs on pillow, 10-20 in bath, majority of them small hairs...

anyone been through the above experience, I took photos a week ago and will report at the end of the month, to let you all know

regimen: propecia 1mg every morning 6 months

for the last week:
regaine 1 week 2 x daily 5%
Biotin
multi vits
4000mg c.l.oil
nizoral every other day