WoWs Story- (Going to Doctor for Propecia alt. hw should I ask)

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I have been a regular reader of these forums for a long time now and appreciate all the great input you all give.

I am quite nervous as I have finally grown the guts to make a Doctor app. to obtain some finasteride. The reason for nervousness is that Propecia is the "propper" drug to treat my hairloss, while asking for some generic fnasteride that is four times more potent and needs to be cut with a pill cutter may not "fly" with my doctor.

Basically, I am asking my Doctor to prescribe medicine to me that is not made to cure my problem. Maybe I am being pariniod, but I am worried he will not find it ok to prescribe me a cheaper alternative, and will just tell me to stick with the more expensive propecia because it is specifically the correct dose for my problem.

p.s. What generic should I ask for? Finpecia? Fincar? Which is the most easily obtained generic in the United States?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second question. Minoxidil, the active ingredient in Rogaine, is being touted on the forums as:

a) Only growing specific "rogiane" peachfuzz hairs, and does not actually block DHT.

b) A topical DHT blocker.

I am wanting to know from you vets such as Tesh., CCS, Jayman, Holyhair, etc. etc. if Minoxidil actually BLOCKS DHT or simply propmotes the growth of these "rogaine" hairs.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
Any rookie can tell you that NO, rogaine does absolutely nothing to halt the effect of DHT. What it does do is, in some cases, stimulate the growth of hair that offsets the cosmetics of hair loss. It in no way stops DHT from attatching to the follicles, it simply renourishes them in a way that is not completely finalized. Topical spironolactone is your best bet for inhibiting DHT (with a topical).

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Re: WoWs Story: Going to Doctor for Propecia alt. how should I

WorldofWarcraft said:
Basically, I am asking my Doctor to prescribe medicine to me that is not made to cure my problem. Maybe I am being pariniod, but I am worried he will not find it ok to prescribe me a cheaper alternative, and will just tell me to stick with the more expensive propecia because it is specifically the correct dose for my problem.

Ask him about Proscar. He may or not prescribe it for the off-label indication of hairloss, but it's worth a shot. If he does, you'll need to pay for the prescription outright vs. running through insurance.

Don't be paranoid, there's no harm in asking. Worst case scenario is "no."

He will most certainly not prescribe you fincar or finpecia. Seems like there may be a finasteride generic available in the US these days though.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Your doctor should tell you about the possible side effects, loss of libido etc. It all depends if this is less important than the chance that you may be a good responder, but it is hard to tell until you try finasteride for several months, even a year. Some are too sensitive to finasteride, and have to stop after a few weeks. I suggest that you ask your doctor to give you the benefit of the doubt, let you try it, and say you will report back honestly about the sides. Good luck.

charlieparker

Reaction score
I use fincar that I ordered online. It's ridiculously cheap compared to propecia or even proscar. You get 30 pillls for like 30 dollars. You can split each of those into 4 so that makes essentally 120 pills for 30 dollars. For 60 dollars (the price of propecia for 30 pills), you get 240. You're getting the same medicine and in your case you can avoid the whole embarrassment. I've been using it for a few months and it works for me. 1.5 years of propecia, then like 3 months of fincar, and now my hairloss has halted. I wish I had never started on propecia in the first place, just stuck with fincar. Would have saved about a grand.[/list]

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, keep em coming.

Question:

1. How do American citizens like Jayman get ahold of Proscar considering how ultra tough it is to get drugs without subscriptions in the United States? Did he have a "cool" doctor that understood he was a college student and couldn't afford propecia?

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
My derm automatically prescribed me Proscar without me even asking. You just won't get the discounted price that people with prostate problems get.

G

WorldofWarcraft said:

Question:

1. How do American citizens like Jayman get ahold of Proscar considering how ultra tough it is to get drugs without subscriptions in the United States? Did he have a "cool" doctor that understood he was a college student and couldn't afford propecia?

Actually I bought my Proscar online , saw a dermatologist, and then I got an online prescription for Avodart, then i got a script from my derm for Avodart.

i think that most doctors who are familiar with proscar will gladly prescribe it in place of Propecia to save you money. as hairwegoagain said, there is a generic version of Proscar(5 mg) out in the US right now. You can get a year's supply of the generic Proscar from a US pharmacy for about $250 a year, assuming that you're taking 1.25 mg a day and cutting in fourths.

---

As for your Rogaine question, no Rogaine does not block DHT. It dilates blood vessels in the scalp and increases hair growth that way, from what I understand. It is simply a growth stimulat and is best combined with an oral prescription medication like finasteride or dutasteride.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
WorldofWarcraft said:

Question:

Actually I bought my Proscar online , saw a dermatologist, and then I got an online prescription for Avodart, then i got a script from my derm for Avodart.

i think that most doctors who are familiar with proscar will gladly prescribe it in place of Propecia to save you money. as hairwegoagain said, there is a generic version of Proscar(5 mg) out in the US right now. You can get a year's supply of the generic Proscar from a US pharmacy for about $250 a year, assuming that you're taking 1.25 mg a day and cutting in fourths.

---

As for your Rogaine question, no Rogaine does not block DHT. It dilates blood vessels in the scalp and increases hair growth that way, from what I understand. It is simply a growth stimulat and is best combined with an oral prescription medication like finasteride or dutasteride.

Thanks for your replies guys. Jayman, You are always right on the money.

Update: I have my proscar. My doctor was very, very, very helpful. He had no qualms about perscribing it to me. I went to a local pharmacy and bought a pill cutter and got my meds. I am now on day two of my perscription.

I also bought rogiane foam and Nizoral shampoo.

Overall, I am shocked on how cheap this treatment is. I spent very little money on this. Hell, I blow way more money on things like videogame subscriptions, movies, CDs, etc. then I will have to on keeping my hair. I am also shocked on how easy rogaine foam is to apply, and how easy it is to get proscar. I am a true idiot for not starting my treatment six months ago when I discovered this site, a true idiot.

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
Cool dude, I hope that your treatment goes well with you. Have you tried taking any pics so that you can see where you begin and to compare them later down the line?

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Primex said:
Cool dude, I hope that your treatment goes well with you. Have you tried taking any pics so that you can see where you begin and to compare them later down the line?

Nah, if I took pics I'd kill myself seeing them lol.

Your hairline is just like mine. I am hoping to hold it down and get a little temple regrowth like you.
p.s. I love He-Man

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you're going to go through the whole process of starting a regimen I'd try to take pics, I find it hard to tell even with the pics at the moment to be honest but somewhere down the line I know they'll be my only source of reference.