Wow! A new study with dutasteride for male pattern baldness!!

CCS

Reaction score
Re: dutasteride result better than finasteride -Bryan made (slight) error

Bryan said:
Tau Fat said:
A small dot tattoo was placed on the scalp at baseline to identify the center of a 1 cm2 circular target area on the anterior leading edge of the vertex hair loss region to be used for hair counts. (Cut straight from the full text).

Therefore the hair count compared to the square inch in the earlier Merck trial is 130.935 and a better result than Propecia by approximately 12%.

The Phase III Propecia trial didn't use a square inch test area. They used a 1-inch diameter circular test area, which is 5.1 square centimeters. The haircount results per square centimeter were slightly better in the Propecia trial than they were in this small dutasteride trial.

Bryan

Did the small study use a 1 cm circle or square? I can check for myself, but so far two people saw it say circle, one of them cut it directly and pasted it, and Bryan says he read that it says square.

Even if the propecia trial used a circle, that is till 2.54^2 times the area of a 1 cm circle.

Did they do it on the vertex, or somewhere new this time?

CCS

Reaction score
Pondle said:
Bryan, what figures are you working from? Looking at the mean hair count at 36 weeks, I see 2.5mg generated 119.8 hairs, while 0.5mg was good for 84.3. So the 0.5mg dose was only about 70% as good as 2.5mg?

all participants switched to placebo after 24 weeks. that's why they are worse by 36 weeks. the 2.5 group build up enough in the blood that they still benifited.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: dutasteride result better than finasteride -Bryan made (slight) error

collegechemistrystudent said:
Did the small study use a 1 cm circle or square?

Neither. It used a circle with an area of 1 square centimeter.

collegechemistrystudent said:
Did they do it on the vertex, or somewhere new this time?

Anterior edge of the vertex thinning area.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Where precisely does the vertex start? How many centimeters into the scalp? oh wait no one has even defined that its totally subjective to that person.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Interesting.. miabe good i stuck with finasteride then :D

thnx for the info Bryan :D

Pondle

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if GSK launches dutasteride for a hair loss in a new dose in a few years time. Drug repositioning is a standard corporate strategy for Big Pharma when patent expiry looms larger on the horizon. They can extend patent protection this way and its cheaper and easier than launching wholly new products.

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
It's a shame that this phase 3 trial is only for 6 months. We know dutasteride outperforms finasteride at growing new hairs, but what I really want to know is how long it can maintain those hairs. Isn't it possible that in that respect dutasteride could be a 'wow drug' (to quote Dr Sawya)?

We're never going to get a drug that regrows a full head of hair simply by inhibiting DHT, but surely the possibility of creating a drug that can stop male pattern baldness stone dead is tangibly real? Isn't there even a chance dutasteride could be that drug?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
youngbaldie said:
This study is quite depressing...

Still though, how does it account for these amazing photos?

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/article150.htm

Whats so amazing about these is that these dutasteride results after only 6 months are 10 times better than finasteride's after 2 years!

cuz the first guy has had male pattern baldness for years...and the second guy was just gettin effected by male pattern baldness....like bryan and everyone has said the earlier you start treatment the better....it looks as though #1 waited too long.