Would You Test Gene Replacement Therapy On Yourself?

luiza

Established Member
Reaction score
In theory, would it be able to reverse baldness and regrow hair? Or just maintain the existing follicles?

Very interesting.

Ikkaku

Established Member
Reaction score
So you're telling us that the cure exists now and we just need a lot of money to get it?

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's basically what i'm saying. though i am not sure exactly how much it costs - it may not even be that much for those with access to research institutions. Bioengineering researchers have access to these tools such as CRISPR for gene therapy/modification in mice but the concept has been proven in humans already. I have to believe it is only a matter of time before one of those people goes rogue and tries it on themselves by using good donor DNA that contains a good AR gene.
This kind of thing is so appealing, and so goddamn certain to provide the cure that it makes me want to get a Biological Engineering degree just so i could have access to these tools and get this sh*t done myself; it'd be quicker than waiting for regulations.

Here's the abbreviated "evil" plan:
- gain access to institution with CRISPR technology
- produce vector with healthy AR gene
- self-inject

Step 4: Start a thread on internet hair loss forum. Post no evidence of extraordinary claim.
Step 5: Disappear.
Step 6: Organize startup with Dr. Nigam?

thegoodthebaldtheugly

My Regimen
Reaction score
I swear to God this thread represents the desperation amongst the balding community. This needs to be shown to people who actually believe that baldness is not a disease. It's a f*****g disease.

lemoncloak

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude you don't even need a "healthy" allele (=gene variant) for this. Just throw a piece of DNA in the promoter of the AR gene of every cell that is affected directly by baldness (DPs, hfsc...). The promoter is the part right before the gene that orders transcription to start. No promoter means no RNA means no AR protein means no DHT binding means no baldness. The tricks as far as I know is:
1. Get it in correctly and safely in EVERY cell you're interested in - there's thousands upon thousands of them
2. Make sure that you disrupt the promoter's sequence in a way that it becomes unrecognizable to RNA polymerase, in other words hit a "vital" spot in it, all the while making sure the sequence you're inserting won't cause any problems where you put it.

Think about it. You really don't need ARs on your scalp. Look at people with complete androgen insensitivity. Norwood 0s of peace. No harm whatsoever.
However, you can't expect this (or any form of gene therapy) to grow your hair back. I mean, sure, some mtf transgenders get some hair back when they transition, it varies from person to person, but basically what's been gone for a long time is gone.
It's the perfect option for maintaining (as long as you can perform it safely which hasn't been done yet I think?) but in the end all roads lead to Tsuji and hair cloning.

Last edited:

Jeca Tatu

Established Member
Reaction score
Step 4: Start a thread on internet hair loss forum. Post no evidence of extraordinary claim.
Step 5: Disappear.
Step 6: Organize startup with Dr. Nigam?

Hahahahaha I was waiting to see someone mentioning FGF11 ( who, for me, symbolically represents one of the last BTTs breath )

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not under any obligation to explain things; the information is freely available online - study up and then join the conversation. If you are educated on the subject and would rather explain why gene therapy wouldn't work, then by all means knock yourself out. I'd love to hear the logic behind your dismissiveness of this approach.

Oh, I'm not dismissive of gene therapy at all -- quite the opposite. I was just joking about a guy who claimed to have carried out the "evil plan" you mentioned. I think though that the better approach is to simply knockdown AR in the scalp. A.G.A. is highly polygenic, and there hasn't been any one polymorphism identified, besides pathological ones such as those causing androgen insensitivity syndrome, that either guarantees you lose hair or guarantees against it. But a functional AR is a prerequisite for A.G.A., so knockdown of AR in the scalp should do the trick.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
We should start a kickstarter for this. Find a Native American for the good AR allele we need.

Youngbalder

My Regimen
Reaction score
i highly believe in gene therapy. i think 5 years ago, with the finding of CRISPR, together with the developed knowledge around iPS cells, a new era of modern medicine started, the future medicine endgame if you will. controlling the genes means controlling the very basics of biology and living organisms, down to basically the smallest building blocks of life.
with CRISPR and iPS sooner or later ALL diseases will be solved. in the next 10 to 20 years we will see unbelievable breakthroughs and cures. most cancer types will be cured with CRISPR-aided immune therapy in 20 years max.
also HIV, parkinson and others will be easy treatments soon.
All except baldness, lol.

Nadia1972

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe in gene therapy. We will see who from cloning or gene therapy will offer us treatment first