Worrying About The Long Term Use Of Propecia?

diffuse_thinner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 33 and have been thinning since about the age of 17. I'm thinking about asking my doctor for script for Propecia but a bit apprehensive about committing long term to a drug that interferes with your hormones. Am I right to worry?

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It just suspend your dht levels. Not destroying it. There is no scarry about it. I am on finasteride like 4 months and i noticed only watery semen within first 2 months. No libido changes i can even say i am enjoying my sex life more than i used to do somehow. Still got morning woods and blabla. Get it and test it. Dont think about that "omg maybe ill be this one" cause most side effects are made by people creating autism world about finasteride in their own head. Good luck, hope you will make a decision.

Last edited:

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
I am on finasteride like 4 months and i noticed only watery semen within first 2 months. No libido changes i can even say i am enjoying my sex life more than i used to do somehow.

What dosage are you taking? 1mg per day?

I'm 33 and have been thinning since about the age of 17.

That's 16 years of thinning! Do you notice any bald spot yet? Were you born with thick hair, and your hair got thin each year? Or you were just born with thin hair to begin with?

diffuse_thinner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is my hair now.

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 401

shulk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Were you born like this? It looks like diffused thinning, you need to get a doctor as this is not a typical male pattern baldness.

What is the use of seeing a doctor, what more can he do than prescribe finasteride that you can go get yourself?

shulk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As for getting on finasteride is a choice you have to make for yourself. I decided to give it a go rather than asking myself "what if" in the future. I figured when i do get something nasty i would just stop using it. I think permanent side effects are reaaaally rare and i have my questions with a lot of the stories, but that is the possible risk you take i guess

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
What is the use of seeing a doctor, what more can he do than prescribe finasteride that you can go get yourself?

Because your case might not be a typical male pattern baldness, it might be iron deficiency, or some other reasons. But yeah, you'll be taking finasteride at least.

diffuse_thinner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, was not born that way. Started to notice thinning in late teens and it has progressed relatively slowly ever since just like male pattern baldness.

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It pretty much looks like male pattern baldness. The picture, even though is not HD quality, seems to point out diffuse thining only on the top of the head and normal sides. If it was other cause it wouldn't show the horsshoe pattern. Having said that, go on finasteride asap and get a good doctor that can follow you up with proffessional assessment and adjust treatments.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im taking 5mg finasteride pill splitting into 6 parts. So its like 0.7 / 0.8 mg

diffuse_thinner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I just ordered some Propecia. I was thinking about cutting the 1 mg tablet into quarters and taking .25 every day as the consensus seems to be it will have just as much effect and maybe reduce the chance of side effects. Now I'm thinking I might start with 1/4 of a pill every second day and increase if I have no sides.

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I just ordered some Propecia. I was thinking about cutting the 1 mg tablet into quarters and taking .25 every day

It's not gonna be effective, especially in your condition, you need the whole pill! 1mg of finasteride is already the minimum you're supposed to take! I warn you, now the choice is yours.

abcdefg

Reaction score
.25 is certainly effective although there isnt much of a difference between .25 and 1mg so you would probably get sides either way. You either help male pattern baldness more with higher side risk or less with less chance sides. There is no good way to really do both without getting the risks. Maybe topical can someday fix that, but its not today