Worried about starting finasteride.. My story..

sandyc

Established Member
Reaction score
So first off, I've always had thick hair. I'm 27 now, and have always had to put on a beanie to flatten my thick hair.

My dad is in his late 70s and has been thinning over the last few years (due to medication) but has had a full head of hair most of his life with no receding.

My grandad had okay hair from what I remember.

I have a double crown with a scar in the middle (and a few other scars in the crown) from stitches and it's always looked a bit weird. I think the hair there is a bit thinner.

I've noticed my hair not as thick as it used to be but everyone says I'm crazy. However, I know my hair and think if I took 20% of my hair away, it would still look normal.

My right temple has always been a bit far back, since i was a child, my mum has the same thing. My left one has thinned and about 1 inch from the middle of my hairline if i part it there, it's thinner than at the temple (kinda like Christian Bale's wonky hairline). The left side has probably gone up about 2mm in a about 3 years.

After reading PeaPoddy's success and lots of bad stuff about Propecia, I'm on the fence. While part of me has read lots of stories of people with sides (one person who dranks 2 litres of Cola a day) the other thinks healthy people like PeaPoddy react well to finasteride due to their healthy diet etc.

I consider myself healthy, I don't eat meat, I eat mostly organic, I make fresh Veg juices for breakfast, don't eat white carbs etc, no soda, no fast food. I do drink a lot of red wine though (maybe this is helping?). If i did go on finasteride, I would be religious about taking it along with the other vits I take in the morning.

I don't care about watery jizz, if I get brain fog I'll take some Gingko.

What I'm worried about is the shed. Is there a way to stop it being drastic incase it happens? What type of people usually get a bad shed. I don't want to shave my head. I had long-ish hair. to my eyebrows, over my ears. Kinda like the Beatles! I would look super weird with a shaved head. I'm not too bothered about the hairs coming out and seeing them, I'm worried that the shed will be so bad that my hair will look awful for months. Are people who shed bad those who are aggresive balders?

I'm sure I read somewhere you can prevent the shed.

Still not sure what to do but really just want to start finasteride, pop a pill a day and forget about my hair.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I think the finasteride "shed" is mostly a myth. Though at times since starting 5 months ago I've had a couple of "shed" times I never lost enough to be more noticeable than it already was.

Most people who have bad "sheds" lose 200-500 hairs a day and its usually from minoxidil.