Wonderlad's Story/Progress Post (w/ pics) Updated 7/12/07

WonderLad

Reaction score
This is a post to monitor progress of my hairloss/possible regrowth. I'm 23 years old and began noticing hair loss last summer at the age of 22; at that time I posted a "My Story" post but I believe it was eventually removed due to inactivity. I just got a digital camera though, so I figured I would be capable of keeping a new post up to date.

Regimen:
Min I began using liquid minoxidil in October 06. I switched to foam in January 07.I was applying the foam predominately to the hairline area as I had never really been unhappy with loss on the top of the head. Recently, however I have grown increasingly bothered by that region and have been applying equal amounts up there.

finasteride I began using finasteride (5. fincar tablets split into thirds) on May 1st 2007. It's been over two months now, and I'm in the midst of what I believe to be a finasteride related shed.

Pictures:

The following are the original photos I took back in August 2006. There is a bit more density and body to the hair here. The hairline looks weird, but I'm not positive it actually got "better". These were also taken with a bad camera phone, so the quality may differ from the newer shots. Hair was kept much longer there than it is now.

August 2006

Front hairline; 8/06
hairtopfront.jpg

top; 8/06
hairtop.jpg

top 2; 8/06
hairtop2.jpg

July 12, 2007

Front hairline; 7/12/07
fronthair5.jpg

top; 7/12/07

hairbac2.jpg

So, that's where it stands as of today. Looking at the comparison shots I am somewhat discouraged by the general deterioration of hair quality, though I think a lot of the change in texture may be attributable to the minoxidil use. When viewed from far away the hair still looks relatively thick given the year or so of loss. There is definitely significant worsening on the crown which I hope the finasteride will address in the months to come. I am happy about the apparent stabilization of the hairline, however..and hope it demonstrates some degree of responsiveness to the current regimen.

I will hopefully post more on a monthly basis. Any impressions or advice would, of course, be hugely appreciated.

Death

Reaction score
Sorry to ask this but,

Did you have hairy hands before you started minoxidil?

but over all ur hair looks way better and it looks like if you grow it out more you can hide your temples better

but yea thick , strong hairline you have there

dresden

Established Member
Reaction score
the first picture is not very good to compare. It looks like you've filled the temples, but it could be your hairline in the middle went up.. i cant tell

WonderLad

Reaction score
Death said:
Sorry to ask this but,

Did you have hairy hands before you started minoxidil?

but over all ur hair looks way better and it looks like if you grow it out more you can hide your temples better

but yea thick , strong hairline you have there

Ha, it's cool. Yeah, I've always been kind of a hairy dude, so I've always had the hand hair. Generally I shave them down with an electric razor, but I've sorta' gotten lazy over the summer. It's unappealing, but - at least in my case - it's definitely more attributable to genetics than minoxidil.

Also, my hair generally does sorta' hang down in the front..so the temples are definitely fairly well hidden during the course of the day. Either way, I've been fairly happy with the effects rogaine has had in that area and I do think they've filled out a bit.

dresden said:
the first picture is not very good to compare. It looks like you've filled the temples, but it could be your hairline in the middle went up.. i cant tell

Yeah, the early pictures are bad. I was working with a really awful camera phone and could hardly get anything to work. It sucks, but those are the best I have to go by. I actually think you're right in that the hairline likely moved up an eigth of an inch or so; I have a scar in the middle of my forehead that was lightly dusted last summer and is now very slightly below the lowest hair. The temples were definitely really high, though..so I think they've moved down substantially. I actually don't mind the slight upward movement of the middle at all (provided I can prevent further movement with the more thorough regimen), since that combined with the downward movement of the temples helped to create a straighter look.

Either way, I hope future comparisons will be way easier to make since I'll be working with better photos taken with a legitimate camera.

Thanks a lot for your input, guys!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I seriously dont see why your complaining, it seems to me you made a great improvement, especially on the front of your head.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Frontal improvement is great and very noticeable.

congrats!