Wondering about the effectiveness of generic minoxidil?

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Ive been using generic kirklands 5% for about 4 months now. After reading up on it, I am wondering if it is effective as real rogaine. I understand the the main ingredient of minoxidil is probably correctly distributed. But the vehicle by which the minoxidil is used to be absorbed into the scalp is different then the regular rogaine, IE.. different proportions of alcohol and ppg. It is clearly more greasy then regular rogaine as well, so something is different. And isnt absorbtion a vital step the effectiveness of the minoxidil? If the minoxidil isnt absorbed into the scalp at its fullest potential then whats the point.

I have had some decent results, again I'm into my 5th month right now, and my hair is overall in much better condition. But after reseraching this it made me wonder.

Any other comments?

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
the ingredients in kirkland are identical to rogaine in quantity and percentages.

the bottles and lot numbers are identical.

i'd be willing to bet rogaine resells it to kirkland. its the same sh*t. Is it possible the kirkland is slightly lower quality? maybe, but would it really make that much difference?

ShedMaster

Reaction score
VoRteX said:
the ingredients in kirkland are identical to rogaine in quantity and percentages.

the bottles and lot numbers are identical.

i'd be willing to bet rogaine resells it to kirkland. its the same sh*t. Is it possible the kirkland is slightly lower quality? maybe, but would it really make that much difference?

interesting, thank you. I wonder why people claim that regular rogaine is less greasy then generic? I have never used rogaine but it made me wonder.

What do the lot numbers indicate?

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There are other types of generic minoxidil, maybe other brands are greasier? I have heard in these forums before that Kirkland minoxidil is identical to Rogaine. I use Kirkland,. hell, at $5/bottle, I bathe in the stuff. Its great!

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Aww, WRX, you changed your avitar. I'm gonna miss that white trash girl with the rack...

Thats right, $5/bottle, sold in packs of four for $20 at Costco.

uratramp1

Reaction score
shedmaster - i have been using the kirkland version for 11 months now - works great! i also 'recycle' the regaine (rogaine), spray applicator....works for me!! 8)

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
I used Rogaine for about one and a half years and then Kirkland's minoxidil for the last year with no discernible difference in results.

As far as absorption goes if I've noticed anything it's that the generic form dries slightly more quickly.

Slarti

Stingray

Reaction score
I agree with that slart. I've used Rogaine, Kirkland, and Rite-Aid versions of minoxidil, and the kirkland has been the best so far.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Hey Stingray, how long have you been spreading this wonderful concoction of minoxidil, ethanol, propylene glycol and purified water, that we call minoxidil, onto your head for and how much do you think it's helped?

I find it hard to believe that I'm already up to the two and a half year mark, but then time flies when you're having fun!

Slarti