wombat's story

WombatJB

Reaction score
I'm a newcomer to this board but really appreciate all the fantastic advice and support floating around here. Here's my story . . . please let me know what you think and don't hesitate to offer suggestions!

I started losing hair at around 19 or 20. At the first sign of shedding, I started using Rogaine. I got a bit obsessive and used it religiously for about 8 months. I'm not sure if this was premature, since I did have quite a thick head of hair at the time, but truth is I don't think I lost much while using it. However, I also hated the stuff. It left my scalp itchy and dry, and my hair unmanageable. So I stopped using the stuff and got a script for Propecia.

Over the next few years, my regimen was very much "by the book" (minus the minoxidil): Propecia daily, Nizoral 2% 3x/week, even tried some "regrowth" supplements. My hair loss undoubtedly slowed, and in the earliest stages, the quality definitely improved. Propecia was a godsend. I maintained the hairline and density of teenager for at least a couple years. Even though I knew I was gradually thinning all over, the way I styled it not a single person could tell I was balding.

I'm almost 26 now, and last year I noticed that my hair loss was finally becoming very noticeable. I suppose you could say the four years of fighting it could only keep the problem at bay for so long. My hairline is thinning and receding considerably, and these days I'm clearly on the verge of Norwood 2. The thinning is diffuse (both the hairline and crown are wearing down), and I might not hold onto it much longer given my genetic predisposition for premature balding. My forehead seems to be getting larger by the day . . .

Anyhow, I'm not losing my head over balding (pun intended), as I've always seen it as inevitable. However, I don't exactly want to give up the fight just yet. Do you think I have any hope if I start something like Xandrox 5% or spironolactone now? I've got diffuse thinning up top (much more than mere temple recession), and the way things are going now I'll doubtless be a baldie before I'm 30. Is it a waste of money, or is there really hope? Shaving my head isn't the end of the world (I've done it before), but running my hands through my hair and not feeling a whole lot can be disturbing at times. At the moment, my hair looks absolutely awful--flat, weak, thin, and out of control. I'm desperate for some help, so any advice is appreciated. Anyone else have the effects of finasteride wear off after several years of use? Will adding minoxidil or topical spironolactone now really help me grow some hair back?

SE-freak

Reaction score
hello.

My suggestion would be to start using minox5% again or Xandrox5%(azel.acid)and keep using propecia as you have been. Also iclude a topical antiandrogen like spironolactone or revivogen. You obviously hate topicals but I think this is the next logical step here to ensure that scalp dht remains as low as possible.

Do not jump to higher concentrations of minoxidil right now so that you have something to fall back to when things start to deteriorate again.

Finally there is also dutasteride, which is a potent dht inhibitor not FDA approved and probably with higher chances for sides than finasteride.

But leave this as a last resort.

In general try having things to fall back to as this fight will have duration.

Keep in mind that I am a noob(1 month in treatments but many lurking around here) so feel free to ignore my advice if you judge accordingly.

All the best,
SE