With 7 billion people, many share your DNA.

Would you want to father that DNA?

• Definitely.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Only if it is cheap.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way.

• I don't know.

• Total voters
Reaction score
What if someone has your exact DNA except for the balding genes, and maybe even has some longevity genes. You meet them, and they have similar interests, same face, but it look better with the hair. Would you let this person impregnate your wife? Would you feel you got to pass on your genes, and that that is your son or daughter?

What if a company took your DNA sample for a fee and matched it against that of hundreds of millions of men, and then sent 10 to meet you. The company gave their best estimate of what genetic differences there are. You talk to them men in person and decide which one you think shares your brain and whatever other genetics you think are important, but lacks the baldness. You pick one as a sperm donor. You can even get a sample of DNA from them to send to your own independent lab to see how close they are.

Who here would be interested?

When you have kids, your kid is an average between the parents. A twin would be closer. With all the single mom's out there, what if one has a kid whose DNA is very close to yours in the important ways, almost a copy of you. Would you want to go lift them out of poverty and father that kid, if you are too old to have your own?

Reaction score
Fathering another man's child? Wow. What happened to the selfish gene? It's not my DNA, i don't care how much it resembles mine. The only DNA i will ever be fathering is mine.

What if you could take a virus that changes the DNA of every cell in your body by just snipping out and replacing the baldness genes with genes for hair. No other genes would be touched, and the virus is safe. Would you accept the virus and DNA change to get a full head of hair?

Also, if you sleep with two different women, your overlap in DNA with each will be different, yet you would still count the kid as yours because you officially gave the DNA, even if one woman was further and one closer to you in DNA. How much further would the did from the sperm donor be from you?

Reaction score
In evolutionary terms, it is better to have children with a partner whose DNA is as different as possible to yours. This reduces the possibility of recessive deleterious genes coming together. Also different HLA genes will ensure stronger immunity to the offspring and so on.

I would want to feel that my child is a part of me, half of my DNA. Knowing that that DNA came from another living man destroys that feeling IMO.

Fair enough. But there is a trade off. If you go really far from yourself, you get a healthier kid with exactly half your genes. If you pick someone closer to yourself, there could be some overlap and pass on even more of your genes, maybe still being healthy.

Suppose you don't have a wife. Would you be more willing to adopt a kid who look a lot like you, if a DNA test showed that the kid was very similar to you?

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
What kind of a mind **** topic is this?

I've got a better question, if you were a woman with your own DNA, would you get impregnated by the non-bald male version of yourself? Or many non-bald male versions, in some kind of Greek orgy, to improve the chances of pregnancy?

Someone's on the LSD.